Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems New Rescue May Have Skin Issues

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
We rescued a new boar on Sunday (pictures and intro to come shortly). I think he may have parasites based on observation over the past few days.

Some of the symptoms I have observed - he hates to be stroked and screams when picked up. He has little bits of hair coming out and his skin is not red, slightly pinkish. There is a few small scabs and they are not crusty. At the rescue, he was housed in a small pet store type cage with two other boars, so it is possible that the scabs could be from boar skirmishes. I did see him itching, but not much. There is nothing crawling on his skin that I can tell and no dust when placed on a white towel and stroked. He has a good attitude and appetite, clean eyes, normal breathing, and his poop is fine.

I read up on the GuineaLynx site about parasites and I can't definitely match the symptoms to any one thing. He has a vet appointment for Thursday which is the soonest that our exotics vet could see us.

In the meantime, I am worrying my head off with all sorts of questions and "what-ifs"! What if a parasite got on my clothes and I picked up another guinea pig? I had him sitting on my bed, what if my bed has bugs now? The cats sleep on the bed too! Ugh! I am near losing my mind imagining all this. I hate bugs!

Well, given the worst scenario, what can I expect as far as taking care of my home? I think some of my panic results from when I remember as a kid, if you got lice it was serious business to get rid of it. Will I need to disinfect and wash everything in my house? Do you fumigate? What would you disinfect with? I have asthma and cannot use harsh chemicals. UGH!!! :(

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Calm down! Most parasites on Guinea pigs are species specific. You mentioned lice. Those are very specifically guinea pigs and cannot be transfered to humans or other animals. Mites can be transfered but they dont like other animals and will bite us leaving itchy rashes and stuff but again no harm as they cant reporduce on us. Fleas, ticks and ringworm is another story. Ticks are easy to rule out because they are large... Ringworm is just a fungus and not an actual worm. If you ever had athletes foot or jock itch then youve had a form of the fungus... Aside from the fleas I dont think you have to fumigate anything or sterilize things. Except if you have another guinea pig that has not been exposed...If a few lice, mites fell of the animal somewhere they will die in a few days/weeks without a host. Once the piggy is treated then there will be no viable host and that will be that. I know parasites are scarry but really they arnt that big of a deal (except for fleas... YUCK) Thankfully never had to deal with that. Lice and ringworm is not a big deal. Don't do a skin scrap they are painful and often times dont come back conclusive unless they happen to get the exact place where a mite or louce is. Best bet if there is hair loss or scratching is to do 3 doses of invermectin once a week. If the itching clears up then you are good. That will take care of the fleas, lice, mites in most cases. Plus it doesn't hurt them to treat them. Many places do this just in case anyways... If you do suspect a contagen I would call the shelter and request that they pay for the meds as they were supposed to have the animals vet checked before adoption. You can buy the meds online (in some cases at stores) without a vet visit. I find it best to dose both guinea pigs just incase (unless you have a large herd and you are sure you were careful...). Good luck there is a ton more info on guinealynx.info...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.