Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Opinions please!

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Okay so I am trying to make a guinea pig hidey.

My plan was to make the equivalent to taking two cozy beds and placing one on top of the other. So it would be circular, have a roof, a bottom and a hole in the center of the front for an opening. Some people buy these to hang for various small animals. I want to make mine to sit like a pigloo. I made one that hangs really close to the ground and they don't use it unless it touches the ground. However, the sides aren't foam so their goal in life is to deform it.

However, right now I have everything sewn up enough to put foam around the sides. I showed my mother because she is always trying to sneak peaks at the things I make and she said something about just leaving the bottom off.

Now, without the bottom, it makes it easier for the piggies to sit on the side and collapse it (Indra likes to sit on foam so I know right away she will try it). However, it makes it easier to keep CLEAN without a bottom.

My hope would be with a bottom, even if Indra booty crunched it, when she got up, it would go back kind of to the right shape.

Piggy people, what do you think?!?!?

I have more opinion questions on other things if you want to put your two cents in. ;) ;)

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness, well yes like the log hidey houses but sans the log theme.

I follow both of those people on guinea lynx!

I have mastered the tunnel, and I have mastered basic hammocks, but I have some extra ideas. I don't like making cuddle cups so much even though I have made them before, so I want to do something different. Once I master these different structures, that is when the crazy stuff starts happening!! I have SOOOO many ideas.

But yes, exactly like that. I just don't know if I want the bottom part or not.

Sewing has become my hobby. It keeps me occupied and that is something I really need. So I have become fixated on creating things for my piggies.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
You are welcome to sew me up a few things! Haha I'm not bad but I dont have the time or place to do it. I have considered giving my sewing supplies to someone on the condition that they sew what ever I want when I want and I would provide the materials... But alas I have no/little faith or trust in people borrowing my stuff anymore.

I know Jen and windspirit make little pads to go in the bottom of their houses, beds and stuff that can be taken out daily so the rest of the hut doesnt have to be washed as often. The bottom pad would also help it to keep its shape!

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
You are welcome to sew me up a few things! Haha I'm not bad but I dont have the time or place to do it. I have considered giving my sewing supplies to someone on the condition that they sew what ever I want when I want and I would provide the materials... But alas I have no/little faith or trust in people borrowing my stuff anymore.

I know Jen and windspirit make little pads to go in the bottom of their houses, beds and stuff that can be taken out daily so the rest of the hut doesnt have to be washed as often. The bottom pad would also help it to keep its shape!

Those ideas posted are great! I think I'm going to attempt to sew haha. Here it goes...

Hey onetwo, I have been trying to get a hold of you about a question I have, but I seem to not be able to send a message to you. Would you be able to message me please? Thanks!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Sorry MLP07 because of my account I am not able to send or recieve messages. Maybe message one of the mods and see if they will send me the message if its that important. Otherwise you can message me on Guinealynx my username is the same...

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Onetwo,

My dear, is there anything that you DON'T KNOW ? Heehhheeee...yeah, those links you gave are great ! I actually have that exact log house, though I did buy it on-line at Drs.Foster&Smith. It was so big for my babies that, though I know they "liked" it, but it was too big for them to be "cozy enough" at the time. However, I know that it would suit them well now, for they certainly have grown ! Ha, ha Onetwo...I just really feel a lot of fondness for you. Can't help it.

I have wanted so many times to talk privately with you, but since you have no private msg. account I can't. Why do you not have a private msg. account, anyway ? ( I know it's none of my beeswax, but I do wonder why...):confused:

A long time ago I wanted to reach out to you to just help out a bit, and wanted to do that privately, remember ? Did I embarrass you by what I said on the forum ? I regretted stating what I did afterwards, feeling like maybe I offended you, you who have been through SO much, I just really empathized. Do you remember the thread you posted awhile back about freezin tempertures....you never responded back to me, and I took that as well, I didn't know how to take it really.

I just wanted to help you out....but I didn't want to do it via the forum, but you didn't have private msg's and so I posted it on the forum anyway, since that was the only way I could contact you that I knew of. In answer to your questions for help in warming things up a bit. Do you remember hon?❤️ Did I offend or embarrass you ? I sure hope not, but if I did, I am so sorry for that, please forgive me if I did upset you. Please let me know. Can you send ME a private message ?

Last edited:

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
No Kath I was in no way offended by anything you have said. I'm not a very private person and thats kind of why my account here has been limited. I am very glad tho that I wasn't banned and I hope one day that I will be able to prove to the mods that I can be a model member so I can get my full account back. I *think* I know what thread you are taking about. I'm not very easy to offend. I've been around the crazy bid with my ex and his family! lol

I would LOVE to get some of those logs, beds and everything they are SOO cute and neat. If I could sew better and had a space where I could then I definately would but right now my kids and my pigs have the run of the apt and my bedroom is just big enough for my full sized bed! haha Maybe one day...

If you have an account with Guinealynx I am there under the same name... They have an unofficial chat link now too.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello my dear !! ;)

So...you sew and have a sewing machine ? What kind of sewing machine do you have and how much did it cost ? Originally, I was planing on getting a sewing machine from Walmart...the "consumer reports" best buy one ( Brothers) that I think sells for around $150.00. What do you use little guinea pig extraordinare seamstress ?

I really think the idea of having a bottom you can remove and take out to wash is a perfect. I have two ideas on this idea, let me know if you want them ! Just post or send me a private message, for I am fairly creative myself, and have a few ideas.

For all of their cozies and hideys I nearly always put a washed cut piece of anti-pill fleece inside, then take it out, shake out the poopsies, and unless it is "wet" I just put another fleece liner in, to take it's place.

Do you make homemade cardboard tunnels too ? I have made a couple. If you would like to see, just check out my album page ! Let me know what you think ! I added a few photo's recently, mostly to show my higher walls that I HAD to make for my little Olympian, Buttercup likes to jump.

One night, she jumped, ( deliberated about it for a moment, so I thought she would not jump !) right from the top of my second level cage ! :eek: She scared the wits out of me. So, I had to make the ramps walls higher, by 5 inches or so. ( Thank God, she was fine, she landed like a cat. But I learned my lesson.)

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Not sure if you are talking to me or onetwo but I will answer anyway! Haha!

I use a Singer. I wouldn't buy one from Walmart unless you are okay with not being able to get it fixed if it breaks. Not that you can't always, but they have different parts in them and are harder to repair.

I started out on an old used Kenmore but I decided to get my own machine to learn better. You can get some really nice, basic machines at a sewing center for $100ish in the singer line. I would go with a basic machine that is high quality over the walmart one. You also miss out on a lot of help from the sewing center if you shop walmart.

I decided to make it without a bottom. Either way I was going to use fleece pads under it, but it was a matter of how they would go in I guess. Everything worked out well except I screwed up in the bias tape around the entrance. Oh well, better luck next time right?!?!

I don't make cardboard tunnels unless cutting up a 12 pack counts! ;)

Here it is:

DSC03074.jpg

You can see at the bottom where I "missed" with the bias tape on the entrance. Ooops.... I haven't a clue how I did that to the extent I did.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I have the walmart "brothers" brand $150+ sewing machine. I am fairly good at sewing but just dont have the room or time to do it. I went through a phase in last winter right after my divorce and made like 30 some beds. I still have some but used fleece that was pretty worn so they didnt last long. I'm not very creative tho and dont have much time so I just cant use it right now. My poor piggies will have to "suffer" with cardboard boxes and fleece pads... BTW kath where is WI are you? I'm in Central MN...

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Couldn't you use like a velcro bottom so it's removeable in order to wash? Haha.. that's my best idea. I would really like to make hidey houses and cuddle cups, but I don't have a sewing machine. I don't have enough patience to sew by hand. I found a sewing machine online at Walmart for $30. I was thinking it would be good for a beginner. I don't need anything fancy right? You all have such good ideas.

OneTwo, I messaged you on guinealynx.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Thanks MLP07 messaged you back.

The little house looks so cute! (Not sure what bias tape is but it doesnt look bad for a first try!) Is it completely circular? Thats pretty awesome. I need someone that will sew for me! Haha.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
No Kath I was in no way offended by anything you have said. I'm not a very private person and thats kind of why my account here has been limited. I am very glad tho that I wasn't banned and I hope one day that I will be able to prove to the mods that I can be a model member so I can get my full account back. I *think* I know what thread you are taking about. I'm not very easy to offend. I've been around the crazy bid with my ex and his family! lol

I would LOVE to get some of those logs, beds and everything they are SOO cute and neat. If I could sew better and had a space where I could then I definately would but right now my kids and my pigs have the run of the apt and my bedroom is just big enough for my full sized bed! haha Maybe one day...

Onetwo, Hello girl! You know what ? You WILL get that back again. You will. I don't know what happened, so I don't know anything, or anyone's perspective. I do trust Ly though. She seems concrete, but fair.

We really just don't know whom we are speaking with, on the other end of the computer. I believe, in MY opinion, that when something needs to be said, no matter the topic, or seemingly immature that person may have come across, How one "responds" via the Internet, with it's very long, and vast reaching arms (all over the world really) it's invisible walls, should always, ALWAYS be with a tone of kindness and respect. People here are coming from all different walks of life and languages.

Earning and therefore giving due respect to an individual, that I see and meet face to face is one thing. Over the Internet, people can be whomever they portray themselves to be, making it nearly impossible to really know whether they are worthy of respect OR not.

So, here, where most just come to learn, all we have is our words, and I feel it wise to use these words in the most respectful, kindest tone possible. If they come off as ignorant just repeat the facts. If they come off as abusive, then dis-engage without further comments which only adds fuel to their obnoxious fire. ( We do NOT know them, this person could be severely suicidal, or on the verge of a nervous break-down, or just been brutally raped, no one of us KNOWS another through this medium!) anyway, that is where I stand. A few times, in trying to "keep the peace" I totally messed up. I just blew it. That's all. I blew it, and came off differently then I meant to. There is no simple way to explain what I mean, so I will just leave it at that.

I empathize strongly with your situation and wish I could treat you with kindnesses ( I do that in my neighborhood, and such) of different sorts, but distance separates me from doing this for you my dear. Anyway, I wish you warm thoughts tonight ( eek, it is nearly 2:00am here !) and for all this week ! ❤️

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Not sure if you are talking to me or onetwo but I will answer anyway! Haha!

I use a Singer. I wouldn't buy one from Walmart unless you are okay with not being able to get it fixed if it breaks. Not that you can't always, but they have different parts in them and are harder to repair.

WOW !! :eek: That looks absolutely AWESOME, are you kidding ME ?! WOW. I don't know what "bias" tape is but your cozylux house sure looks great to me !! Ha, HA ! Man, you should be SOOO proud ! wow. Very nice Maggiemae. Very nice, indeed ! Thank you so much for your sewing machine advice. I really appreciate it !:cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.