Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Should I Upgrade cages?

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
So, some of you might know that I adopted a piggy a week ago, which means I am now a proud owner of 2 piggys! I have been reading all about introducing the two and what not and have a question.

I have two boys... Cadbury is about 4 months old and Carlton who I just adopted is around 3 months old. I read that around this age they are in their adolescence stage so I'm wondering if I should make my cage bigger before introducing them to each to each other. I read that they can be fussy at this age which could cause dominence issues. Right now I have a 2X4 c&c cage. I should also mention that in my 2x4 cage is a 1x1 litter box so does that count towards the 2x4 limit or is that taking away from it? I was thinking of adding on a 2X1 kitchen area. What do you guys think? Will a 2x4 be fine or should I add on or do a complete different set-up? If I should add on, any suggestions as to how I should lay out the cage that would work best in my case? I'm open to any suggestions! I just want to make this easy on my pig's as much as possible. Thanks in advance!

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
I think if you totally move things around, and/or add things, your original pig will not have the dominance issues they would likely have otherwise. Also in my opinion 2x4 is ok for two males but I wouldn't go any more. If you can add a kitchen why not do it :)

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
If you have the space for anything bigger, go for it! I have two girls in a 2x5 and they still "argue", when we move I'm going to remove their top level (1x5) and just make a big 3x5 cage. Don't plan on adopting anymore piggies since Cinnamon is extremely territorial and dominant, but she grew up with Calypso so they get along well, usually. hehe

I like to have their kitchens in an upper deck loft instead of the main cage floor so they have maximum living space. You may want to do that as well.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
I was thinking that too where my older pig might do better if I move things around. If I do an upper deck can you make it into a closed cage? I'm graduating college this May & moving back home until I figure out if I get accepted into grad school & there are cats back home! I'm thinking a one level might be easier to close off, but I'm not sure. I did kind of a poopy job making my first cage so I think I will re-do it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.