Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethals Help us figure out if he is?

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
So around late January we bought Jace from a local pet store. He was about two months old, and has been through a URI and possibly mange, both treated and cleared up. Recently we read something about lethals, and now we're worried he might be one. :/
If the attached picture isn't enough, we can take more or provide as much info as we have. Also, sometimes it seems like he cant see or has a hard time seeing, and i read blindness is a sign. I just want to take care of him the best i can, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs generally already have bad eyesight so I wouldn't assume blindness.

You mentioned that you bought from a pet store, please know that this is a pro-adoption, anti-petstore/breeding site. Everyone makes mistakes and some here have bought from a pet store before they knew better and have since learned why pet stores are bad news.

Please look around the site and educate yourself on the horrors and mistreatment that comes from funding a petstore and in turn, breeding mills.

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
I realize that, this is our first time with pigs. I've learned that pet stores aren't beneficial but not knowing then and getting him, I'm not going to get rid of him because of it. :) I was more concerned about whether or not the white and black fur was an indication he is or isn't carrying lethal genes. Also, whether or not it helps, he has one blue and one brown eye and is more aggressive than my other pigs.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
From what I have read on lethal guinea pig's is that they are always white. It looks like you could have a roan though, but that's hard to say. If it is a roan then it means that if breeded with another roan then it could produce a lethal. I really don't think yours is a lethal though. I don't know if you've read this yet, but it has a lot of information...

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/4190-lethal-guinea-pigs.html

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Lethal whites are always pink eyed whites but not all pink eyed whites are lethals.

You have a roan though. Roans, if bred, to other roans can produce lethals though so you should be careful you only put him with same sex guinea pigs.

The pet store/breeder likely ended up with lethals if they were breeding/selling roans though.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
He is very pretty and luckily he is not a lethal. Welcome to the site. You will learn a lot on how to care for him.

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all of you. It really helps.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I realize that, this is our first time with pigs. I've learned that pet stores aren't beneficial but not knowing then and getting him, I'm not going to get rid of him because of it. :)

I wasn't suggesting you get rid of him. As I said people make mistakes before they know better. Now you know and hopefully next time, you will adopt a new little friend rather than buy :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.