Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi from michigan:)

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Hi my name is Chelsea and a new member to the site, although ive gotten on and looked many times. I grew up having guinea pigs and now that i'm older and moved out of my parents i decided it was the right time again. I started looking at craigslist and got lucky. My local shelter a few weeks ago had two girls looking to be adopted. Me and my Fiance decided to adopt the two girls and this weekend just built our first C&C cage. They were both stuck in one of those small horrible commercial cages and were just dying to get out. That being said they love the new cage and seem to be much more enjoying of life. I also got very lucky they are great and very friendly. We named them Gatsby and Mimzy. I always had guinea pigs with cresents it's wierd to have ones without. Now that i'm learning so much from these types of sites i see just how amazing these little guys can be and am now searching craigslist and local shelters to help rescue of foster and possibly adopt another female companion for my two now. If anyone in Michigan needs help taking in or traveling guinea pigs places please let me know and maybe i can help! Glad to be here.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Sorry forgot to post a pic of them. I have betters just having problems with my email uploading pics. I'll post more later of them and their cage. Gatsby is the dark brown and Mimzy is the light brown.

Kel0123

Cavy Slave
Hi Chelsea!
Welcome to the board! Your girls are very cute and I'm glad to here you got them out of their tiny cage and into a C&C!
I too am from the mitten! My family is going on vacation next month, if my pig sitter backs out or something I will get a hold of you!

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Thank you and yes i would not mind watching them i actually use to have a pet sitting business so i have experience with it. Im from lansing area what about you if you don't mind me asking.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
HELLO and WELCOME !! :)

Your girls are lovely ! How old are they ? Wow. You had a pet sitting business ? What kinds of pets ? We all eagerly, greedily ( hey, what can I say, we LOVE piggie pictures and cages on here !!) await further pigtures of your piggies and cage lay out !!

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Welcome. Just to be sure, you should check yourself to be sure both are female.... ;)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Oh RubyRain is so right ! Check and re-check to make sure they are both girls, for you would NOT believe how many piggie parents on here ended up with mix ups, and therefore ended up with a pregnant sow ! For directions on how to properly check their gender, just click on this site for help, they also show genital graphics to depict what you should be looking for in a male or a female https:// guinealynx.com

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Well i pet sat for about 2 years and watched mostly dogs and cats but had a few small pets here and there. I was raised in MIs great upper penninsula on a petting zoo/farm so i have lots of animal experience. My girls are said to be 1 yr and 6 months i will double check they are both girls but from what the humane society said theyve been together most of their lives and i don't believe either are pregnant. I also got some pictures to load so i am posting them now. I will also upload them on an album of my profile.❤️

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
That'a great cage. And your girls are adorable.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone! So i have a question i just got these girls a few weeks ago and i think i want one more already. I have found a few on criaglist, but im not sure if that is considered rescueing, since i dont know if they are a breeders and a part of me wants to wait and help one who really needs it. Any ideas on what i should do? Also my girls are 1 and a half and i was thinking of getting a 3 month is that too big of an age dif?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
OH your girls are really cute !! Your cage is pretty nice too ! What are their names ?
Many other more qualified people on here, can answer your question about buyer beware type stuff, on Craig's list, as well as the pros and cons of adopting a 3 month old female. If you want my two cents worth of what I think, here it is:

If you have shelters close to home, where you can adopt a 3 month old female or around that age, I would think that might be worth a consideration. If these two gals that you have now, have been together a long time, it will cause some upheaval of sorts, ( anytime you introduce another piggie, no matter the age, hierarchy will again, have to be re-established), this can pose a little sorting out or an all out war.

I DO know for SURE that it will inevitable involve some scuffles and squabbles, and maybe-- some more severe scuffles and squabbles. ( teeth chattering, nips, tufts of fur pulled, chasing, rumblestrutting, ect.) THIS IS NORMAL though. This behavior is sometimes disturbing to witness, and it might look like to you, that the baby ( or one of the older gals even) is being "bullied" but it is necessary to establish who is BOSS.

IF order does not get established within a reasonable amount of time, and blood is drawn, and only IF blood is drawn, you will then have to separate permanently, and divide up the cage. There are NO guarantee's of all getting along, so this is definitely something to strongly consider ! These lovely girls have only been with you for two weeks, why the hurry to get more ?? I mean I DO understand the why, obviously, but you must be careful not to impose your own desires ahead of what is best for your current girls or situation. I say that in LOVE, not to upset or imply that you are not already doing so. It is just that Impulse actions are nearly always, not good actions. REMEMBER: Two cents worth of an opinion from someone who has only had 3 months experience. Though, I have done a LOT of reading and research.

My cautious, two cents worth of an opinion is this: Let things settle a bit first, get to know the ones you have for awhile FIRST. Then consider adopting another. That is JUST my opinion though. Another piggie also means more of your individual lap time, and the extra Vet costs to be considered. You will most likely ( not too hard or too much more money though) also need to make your cage bigger. I do not know anything about you, or if you have a budget that needs to be within a certain range. Just giving my two cents worth here, without knowing all the factors of your life involved. I do hope I sincerely helped though. Good luck new piggie pal friend !! :)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.