Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Preparing towels?

Leslie

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been lurking for a while. I'm seriously considering switching to fleece bedding. I've done a lot of reading here, and understand the basics of needing 2 layers of fleece and 2 layers of towels, with some newspaper at the bottom. My question is how do you guys prepare the towels for the cage? Do you sew the layers together? If my fleece is designed to drop over the walls of the coroplast (like pockets to slide over the walls), what's the best way to secure the towels so it doesn't shift on the bottom when the pigs run around? I wouldn't think you would also sew the towels to the fleece. That seems like too many layers to wash when it comes to cleaning day.

Also, silly side note, I am so excited to finally have a practical use for the corner seam upholstery technique I learned in fashion school last semester haha

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been lurking for a while. I'm seriously considering switching to fleece bedding. I've done a lot of reading here, and understand the basics of needing 2 layers of fleece and 2 layers of towels, with some newspaper at the bottom. My question is how do you guys prepare the towels for the cage? Do you sew the layers together? If my fleece is designed to drop over the walls of the coroplast (like pockets to slide over the walls), what's the best way to secure the towels so it doesn't shift on the bottom when the pigs run around? I wouldn't think you would also sew the towels to the fleece. That seems like too many layers to wash when it comes to cleaning day.

Also, silly side note, I am so excited to finally have a practical use for the corner seam upholstery technique I learned in fashion school last semester haha

Leslie,
It's ONE layer of fleece and two layers of towels (or mattress pad), NO newspaper.
I did not prepare the towels at all. They absorb pretty well straight from the store. The towels won't shift. Just cover with fleece. Pull fleece up over the coro side and clip (I prefer chip clips. They are bigger, stronger and cover more area. I got them for $1 a piece at the grocery store)
I just lay down the mattress pad or towels. Put fleece on top. Clip and we are ready to go. Make sure to clip really well in corners. I cut a triangle off each corner and that makes less material to tuck and stops them from burrowing. Wash once a week, more often if necessary. Towels will be wetter wherever you put the hay so I sometimes will put an extra layer there.
Make sure you wash your fleece three times in very hot water, detergent, NO fabric softener and enjoy.

I only use 1 layer of fleece, 1 towel where they pee the most and a mattress pad under it all, and it works great. My fleece, towels and mattress pads just lay flat(I don't secure it at all) and they don't shift around, just the weight of the stuff on top of it keeps it in place. Some people do sew their fleece and towels together(1 layer of fleece and 1 or 2 layers of towel or another absorbent material) but I like having everything separate. I only wash my fleece once before I use it and it works fine.

I agree. NO paper (gets too smelly, sticky and can get matted to the coro and you'll never get it off then, believe me not a good thing).

I've done one and two layers and fleece and it makes no different either way but 2 layers means more washing...

I dont put towels under a majority of my cage anymore because my piggies only pee in two spots. They go in their kitchen and their bed area. So I put a folded towels in both areas topped with a fleece pad that I bought or made that has fleece both sides and batting in the middle. I change that out every other day and the rest of the cage is usually fine for 2 weeks.

I also do not like my fleece and such sewn to the towels it does make for better washing and not as much bulk... Some people prefer it as it is easier to just flop it in the cage and there is not much bunching or fuss. I don't mind anymore because like I said I dont have towles in most of my cage. It works out great. They still poop in the rest of the cage sometimes but most in those two spots...

Thanks everyone for the quick answers!

I decided to do one layer of fleece, one layer of towel, and I got a mattress pad for cribs for the area I already know they prefer to go in. I managed to find a waterproof crib pad at Walmart for $8 to put under the towel.

Another question, if anyone has ramps, how did you cover it? I've bent the cube pieces now for an L-shape 2 part ramp, but a little puzzled how I'd fasten fleece to the coroplast, or what alternative materials there might be.

I cover mine with a towel, then fleece, then I clip it to the ramp.

Hi from a Newbie!!
Best to check out all the photos of ramps and open cages!! There are tons of really neat ideas and it helps to see it as well!! Good luck with the fleece and cage!!! :)

Could someone please help me with my fleece? I wash, wash, wash, dried on accident so I wash, dried, wash, dried again. It's the plush kind, and it won't wick now.

What do you mean "dried on accident"?

All I did was wash and dry 3 times in the machines. It's worked very well for me.

Could someone please help me with my fleece? I wash, wash, wash, dried on accident so I wash, dried, wash, dried again. It's the plush kind, and it won't wick now.

I've tried plush fleece. No matter what I do, it won't wick.
Is the one you have a blanket? Microplush blanket?
Try anti-pill, polar, or blizzard fleece. They are the smoother type.
When you get them, wash-dry-wash-dry-wash-dry.

What did you use to wash?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.