Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Showing slight signs of illness.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
This morning when I came in with breakfast for my two girls, Belle was turned away from me up in the hayloft, and didnt even look around when I handed out the leaves on the bottom floor.

I handfed her cilantro which she slowly ate, still not interested in moving downstairs which she always does otherwise.
I picked her up to check for any signs of possible URI or stiff limbs for Scruvy. Her legs were fine & there was no crusty eyes or nose or wheezing. When I put her back in the cage she nibbled the lettuce, and then went back up to the hayloft slowly to eat hay.

She has been getting less interested in beakfast, unfortunately it's the same two kinds of leaves & cilantro every morning as winter is leaving little option for variation in veggies not coming form countries using a lot of pesticides.

She & her cage mate was adopted 5 months ago form a very neglectful home where they definately weren't fed properly. Is scruvy a possability from their earlier abuse?

I've been calling around to every single vet office I could get to, but none have time for us today. It's friday, and there's only one clinic open on weekends. One with no proper experience in cavies & they charge the doubble amount.
What should I do? I'm terrified to wait until Monday.

Shes walking around now, attacking a new cardboard box & seem fine. But something is clearly not right.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. I have not had enough experience, to even speculate to give advice or offer an educated guess. I just wanted to say that I am sorry and that I hope Belle is ok. I wish you are your piggies well and hope you soon figure out what is going on with them. Hearts, hugs and prayers !

Last edited:

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Thank you. It's messages like these that really warm my heart.
I'm sitting with Belle in my lap right now, checking her tummy for bloating or any changes. She's getting very talkative. I'm sure she's telling me exactly what's wrong. Her cagemate Hatter is very keen on listening to this conversation.

She just peed on me & I don't think it's a kidney stone. She seemed really happy while doing it.

I managed to get an appointment on Monday morning & hoping she doesn't get worse.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Weigh her daily--consider handfeeding if she begins to lose weight. Be ready to take her in to the weekend clinic if she starts to deteriorate.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
You are so very welcome ! :)

I suspect my Buttercup may have ear mites, so I am taking both her and Cuddles in to see an exotics vet tomorrow evening. I am hoping so much that I am wrong and that she just has waxy dirty ears that are itchy ! I read all the information on guinealynx concerning ears...when I swabbed her ears last night they looked very dirty, like a reddish brown. Do you know if piggies can get itchy from dirty ear wax build up ?? The last couple of nights she has been wanting me to rub and scratch her ears during lap time. and shakes her head too. Exactly what guinea lynx described. No other symptoms though. Oh man, I hope she doesn't have ear mites !

What does your gut tell you about Belle ? Is she still not acting like something is not right ? Have you checked through all the things it could be on https:// guinealynx.com ?
Please let me know how she is doing, and I do care, very much ! It is scary because they hide their symptoms so incredibly well, don't they ! Keep us posted, ok ?

kathi

Cavy Slave
How is your little cavy?? Did you need to hand feed her? What did the vet say??

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
This morning when I came in with breakfast for my two girls, Belle was turned away from me up in the hayloft, and didnt even look around when I handed out the leaves on the bottom floor.

I handfed her cilantro which she slowly ate, still not interested in moving downstairs which she always does otherwise.
I picked her up to check for any signs of possible URI or stiff limbs for Scruvy. Her legs were fine & there was no crusty eyes or nose or wheezing. When I put her back in the cage she nibbled the lettuce, and then went back up to the hayloft slowly to eat hay.

She has been getting less interested in beakfast, unfortunately it's the same two kinds of leaves & cilantro every morning as winter is leaving little option for variation in veggies not coming form countries using a lot of pesticides.

She & her cage mate was adopted 5 months ago form a very neglectful home where they definately weren't fed properly. Is scruvy a possability from their earlier abuse?

I've been calling around to every single vet office I could get to, but none have time for us today. It's friday, and there's only one clinic open on weekends. One with no proper experience in cavies & they charge the doubble amount.
What should I do? I'm terrified to wait until Monday.

Shes walking around now, attacking a new cardboard box & seem fine. But something is clearly not right.

Hi there ! I just wanted to know how your piggie is doing, is Belle ok ?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.