Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Advice needed asap please!

helencalla

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

my daughters alpaca guinea pig is not well. He is about 6 or 7 months old. We have had a busy couple of days so have been visually checking them and obviously feeding and water but today when we gave them a good look over one has slightly crusty eyes, nose and around mouth as well as a dirty bottom, not seen any diarrea (sp?) normally we can hardly catch them but he just sat there when I picked him up he seems to have lost some weight and when we put fresh hay and a bit of grass in he had a sniff but ignored it normally they both stuff themselves he is moving around but slowly and i put the water bottle to his mouth and he had a nibble but not what you would call a drink. I have an appointment at the vets at 4.30 but wondered if anyone could shed some light on the matter beforehand. I can't see any injuries any where and nothing seems tender to the touch. Thanks all x

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

my daughters alpaca guinea pig is not well. He is about 6 or 7 months old. We have had a busy couple of days so have been visually checking them and obviously feeding and water but today when we gave them a good look over one has slightly crusty eyes, nose and around mouth as well as a dirty bottom, not seen any diarrea (sp?) normally we can hardly catch them but he just sat there when I picked him up he seems to have lost some weight and when we put fresh hay and a bit of grass in he had a sniff but ignored it normally they both stuff themselves he is moving around but slowly and i put the water bottle to his mouth and he had a nibble but not what you would call a drink. I have an appointment at the vets at 4.30 but wondered if anyone could shed some light on the matter beforehand. I can't see any injuries any where and nothing seems tender to the touch. Thanks all x

It sounds like it could be an upper respiratory infection. You need to get that piggy to eat and drink. Do you have syringe? You should mash some food & water together for him. Have you been weghing him? If he has weight loss that isn't a good sign at all either. Guinea pig's go downhill super fast so it you have an emergency vet I would bring him in.

helencalla

Cavy Slave
I dont have a syringe but have managed to get a few drops of honey/water into him as advised by a friend who has had piggies for years and my vets are appointment only or we'd be there already! I wish I had been weighing him regularly as maybe would have picked up the illness before he was actually 'sick'. I will be from now on! Fingers crossed its something simple to deal with and he'll make it. I have my list of antibiotics that he cant have at the ready. And have noted down to ask about a probiotic, is there anything else I should be aware of?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
When is his vet appointment ? How long do you have to wait ? Until then, I looked at the above link from guinea lynx that lissie gave you and it's excellent ! Please if you can, take a moment to read it, it will really help you out a lot until you can get him in to see your vet. I sure hope you are able to take him in soon ! Our warmest wishes and prayers for you both for a speedy recovery !

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
When is his vet appointment?

The OP stated that the appointment is at 4:30PM today.

To the OP, I suggest ditching the honey and just focus on getting water and food in the poor little guy/gal and make sure he is warm. I am not sure if you have been to a vet for guinea pigs yet, but make sure they do a full exam (temperature, weight, listen to lungs/heart, check eyes/ears/mouth and so on). Do not let them give him any medication without you knowing first.

When our eldest girl fell ill, she received a shot of Baytril as soon as the vet got to the exam room, for example. Also, make sure they actually give you a supply of antibiotics. I have read on here a lot lately about vets not actually prescribing antibiotics to the owner and only giving a single shot. He will need to be on antibiotics for about 7 days (maybe longer).

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Honey and water, definitely not. Honey is pure sugar and not good. It won't help with anything.

Handfeeding a pellet mash mixed with water or plain pedialyte, yes.

It does sound like a URI.

A course of antibiotics can run anywhere from a week to several weeks depending on the type and how fast the pig responds. Sometimes they don't respond to one type and have to be changed to something else. The average course of AB's is about 10 days to 2 weeks.

helencalla

Cavy Slave
She says his stomach is slightly tender but no impaction. Listened to chest and no problem. Checked teeth and said they look ok but not 100% sure without anaesthetic which she prefers not to do. Gave him a pain killer and something to get his gut moving, no antibiotics. Advised baby food to get his strength up and keep checking his weight. Nothing dairy. Basically try feeding him and see how he gets on. He seems a bit perkier now so maybe the pain killer has helped him feel more comfortable.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
She says his stomach is slightly tender but no impaction. Listened to chest and no problem. Checked teeth and said they look ok but not 100% sure without anaesthetic which she prefers not to do. Gave him a pain killer and something to get his gut moving, no antibiotics. Advised baby food to get his strength up and keep checking his weight. Nothing dairy. Basically try feeding him and see how he gets on. He seems a bit perkier now so maybe the pain killer has helped him feel more comfortable.

Did you go to a cavvy savvy vet? When my piggy had just a sneeze they put him on antibiotics just in case. This worries me that they gave you no antibiotics. What is this "something" they gave him to get his gut moving?

helencalla

Cavy Slave
She seemed to know what she was on about but they are the local ones that I could get the first appointment with and only 1 vet is on at a time.

Unfortunately, Edward passed away a couple of hours ago. Obviously we are all upset. My daughter is heart broken, and we are hoping the other one won't catch whatever it was. We have disinfected the cage and replaced everything. I hope he is only quiet because he is on his own and not because he is sick too.

Thanks for all your advice x

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Oh no!! I'm so sorry!! Keep an eye on the other one closely. Make sure he/she eats hay and veggies especially. Keep an eye on water intake. Also weigh daily.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I am sorry.

It's important to weigh your guinea pigs weekly. They tend to hide their symptoms until it is too late, as you found out. Guinea pigs that don't feel well don't eat as much and so lose weight. It's an important part of having guinea pigs.

It would be a good idea to look for an exotics vet in case something like this happens with your remaining pig. It doesn't sound like yours was exactly cavy knowledgeable.

Again, I'm sorry.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Oh no, I'm so sorry. Wishing you and your daughter peace.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Oh my, I'm sorry for your loss. =[ But yes, keep a close eye on the other piggy & get a scale to start weighing it. So sorry.

maines pigs

Cavy Slave
Tip:Always make sure you have an correct vet before anything happens and make sure you keep contact information from them.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry about Edward's passing. May peace and comfort surround you and your daughter during this heart-breaking time.

helencalla

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your kind words during this emotional time.

Jacob has eaten a little and had a small drink but he isn't happy at all. Do you think he'll be ok on his own? He has never been by himself and he was the shyer of the two piggies. Bless him. I'm trying to tempt him with various things but he has a small nibble and then leaves it.

maines pigs

Cavy Slave
Jacob is currently griving if you spend more time with him or get a new cagemate for him it should help out.

helencalla

Cavy Slave
I did wonder how long I should leave it until I think about getting him a new friend?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.