PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea Unexplained Diarrhea Problems

Geneva
03-06-11, 01:54 pm
One of our girls, Posey, is about a year and a half old and has been having poop-related problems for at least 6 months now. Backstory: When we first got her, she had some sort of sneezy nose infection (the vet said it was in her nose, but her lungs, and wasn't a URI). We tried TMS first, which did nothing, so she prescribed Baytril. That cleared up the sniffles, but totally messed up her gut flora. Her poops were fine sometimes, but other times they ranged from soft to downright runny.

We've since brought her to the vet two other times, and she can't find anything else wrong with her. She's happy, eats tons of hay, pellets, and veggies, and has been steadily gaining weight like our other pigs. Right now she weighs around 1100 grams and is at an all time high weight for her. This weekend the poop problem is getting so bad that we have numerous "poop smears" on the fleece in our cage (lovely!) and it's all over her toenails. We washed her undercarriage last night, and today she's covered in poo again.

The only other weird thing about Posey is that she also is weirdly...green. I've posted about this before and it remains a mystery, but she's an albino pig and her underside is consistently a light green color, and when she sneezes it is green tinged. I've watched her eat, and her romaine is covered in a weird green liquid that I guess runs out of her mouth as she eats. So messy! I have no idea if the green is related to the poop issues, but thought I should mention it.

As far as diet, our pigs get unlimited Kleenmam's timothy hay and pellets, romaine lettuce twice a day, and cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and one baby carrot each once a day. They also each get half a Kangavite C tablet. Limiting her hay and pellets would be difficult without separating her from the other pigs, since we have five together in a very large cage, so they all share everything.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm hesitant to bring her to the vet again, since she's come up short on ideas in the past and she seems otherwise healthy, but this poop issue is getting out of hand and pretty gross, too.

Geneva
03-06-11, 01:56 pm
Oh, and I should also mention that the vet has suggested Probiocin and another round of TMS both in the past, and neither has had much effect. She loves the Probiocin and I still give it to her sometimes, but I don't think it really does much to help.

Ly&Pigs
03-06-11, 02:23 pm
#1- No such thing as an albino guinea pig. You probably have what is called a Pink Eyed White or PEW for short if it's completely white with pink/red eyes.

#2- When a pig first poos, it tends to be soft and if they step in it, it will squish. It takes a little while to firm up and harden. Usually anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour.

#3- The green tint is most likely from veggies. I used to have a himilayan pig (white with red eyes but with ear, nose and feet smut) and she'd often get green tinged under her chin and on her upper chest from the veggies.

#4- I'd try some acidophilus for a few days to help with gut flora. Anytime a pig is on antibiotics, they need to also be given a probiotic to keep the gut flora in check. It can be given 45 minutes to an hour before the AB. Even if she isn't currently on AB's, the acidophilus may help if there is a problem. It certainly won't hurt.

#5- Your pigs veggie diet isn't very good. You need to add a lot more veggies. You also don't need to give the C tablet so I'd discontinue that. Bell pepper provides a nice amount of C and all veggies have C in them. It's basically overkill to give the extra.

#6- Lastly, monitor your pig to see what the poos look like when she is actually pooing. If it's normal size and shape but looks a little wet, that's normal. What you want to look for is really runny poo or really deformed poos.

Geneva
03-06-11, 02:30 pm
This is definitely not normal poos. It's smeared all over the cage and is very wet and not formed at all. Also, none of my other pigs continually get poo stuck to their toes and feet. I'll take her out for lap time until she poos and see if I can get a better idea, but I'm 99% sure they're not normal.

Also, which veggies would you recommend on a daily basis? We used to do romaine/tomatoes in the morning and spring mix/bell pepper at night, but the spring mix goes bad so quickly and would just turn into a sloppy mess that they didn't enjoy eating, so we switched to all romaine, which they seemed to like better. They also get apple, blueberries, cucumber and other assorted things on occasion, mostly when we're eating them.

Geneva
03-06-11, 02:39 pm
Oh, and I was also going to ask, how/where to I buy acidopholus? Does it come in liquid or pill form? I've read a few places that plain greek yogurt is okay in times like this in small amounts, but other places say not to ever give them any dairy. I've got Fage 0% greek yogurt here - would that work?

maines pigs
03-06-11, 03:32 pm
Small pet supplement conditions digestive tracts for optimal pet health (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10445+14630&pcatid=14630)

Geneva
03-06-11, 03:33 pm
That looks great! We'll order some right now. Thanks.

maines pigs
03-06-11, 03:48 pm
Your very welcome. :)

Deb's4Pigs
03-06-11, 05:38 pm
You can get it from the grocery store or the heath food store. The acidopholus I mean.

Onetwo
03-06-11, 06:26 pm
NO dairy. Guinea pigs are lactose and it will make her diareah worse. Definately give her acidopholus. You can buy it at your local store. Walmart, walgreens, any pharmacy and most grocery stores. Its in the vits section and is called just that. It should be in pill form and you take 1/3 or in your case 1/2 a pill crush it mix it with a tiny little drop of apple juice (to cut the bitter taste) and suck it up in a syringe. Do it in between the AntiBiotics (ABs) or 2-4 times a day until the good bacteria is built back up in her gut.

http://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

http://www.guinealynx.info/motility.html

Hope this helps...

Geneva
07-14-11, 05:01 pm
Update: It's four months later and this situation has not changed or improved at all. Our vet prescribed Flagyl for her, and she's been on it for three days now, but today the poop is totally liquified on the fleece, so I'm not sure if it's helping. I'm at my wits end. I give her a sink bath (only paw-deep) to clean off her toes several times a week and the pigloos get so much mucky poop on their insides that I have to run them through the dishwasher a couple times a week. I don't know what is wrong with her, and neither does the vet, and I'm not sure what else to try. Her weight is still fine - she weights 100 grams more than she did in the spring.

I continue to give her the Probiocin once a day, but it doesn't seem to be having the desired effect.

Any other ideas?

Geneva
07-14-11, 05:09 pm
Update: It's four months later and this situation has not changed or improved at all. Our vet prescribed Flagyl for her, and she's been on it for three days now, but today the poop is totally liquified on the fleece, so I'm not sure if it's helping. I'm at my wits end. I give her a sink bath (only paw-deep) to clean off her toes several times a week and the pigloos get so much mucky poop on their insides that I have to run them through the dishwasher a couple times a week. I don't know what is wrong with her, and neither does the vet, and I'm not sure what else to try. Her weight is still fine - she weights 100 grams more than she did in the spring.

I continue to give her the Probiocin once a day, but it doesn't seem to be having the desired effect.

Any other ideas?

pinky
07-14-11, 06:59 pm
Has your vet checked for parasites? The symptoms sound very similar to those of one of my guinea pigs that had Giardia. It's a protozoa that can cause, diarrhea, gas and bloating. The vet prescribed Metronidazole which took care of the problem.

Geneva
07-14-11, 07:10 pm
Flagyl is the same as Metronidazole, which is the medication she started a few days ago. I'm sure hoping this clears it up, but I'm not sure how long it's supposed to be before it starts helping. So far I'm not seeing any improvements.