Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size 2 boars 2 sows

frailwords

Cavy Slave
I recently aquired two baby female piggies to add to my other two boars. cant home them together, i know. But my curiosity got to wondering if i can keep them together in a split cage. big enough for all, obviously. and safe to where neither sexes can get to each other

Rilence

Cavy Slave
You could make 2 of 2x4 for each genders, preferably larger if you can afford to.

frailwords

Cavy Slave
I already planned on 2X4 each with a lost of 2X1. but its ok to have them close together ?

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
You can keep them next to each other, however, some boys will climb over the grids to get to the girls. To avoid this, you will need to add a grid roof to the section of the cage where the two cages meet.

Also, I am not sure, as I have not had this housing situation, but perhaps being next to the girls, being able to see/smell/hear them would make the boys squabble? Someone who is more familiar with this type of arrangement would be able to tell you for sure.

taram

Cavy Slave
When I took my 3 girls in, I put them on a raised platform, so if any wandering Romeos came by (and my boys are good at escaping, one got over a grid that was 3 times his height) they couldn't get to them. An hour after they were placed in the same room, one of my pairs of boars started to squabble, to the point there was blood drawn and I had to separate them.

If I picked the girls up first, then the boys, the boys would instantly smell the girls off my clothes and go mental. Next to each other they would definitely try to get in, and even if they didn't succeed, they might stress each other and the girls. Put them a bit apart, perhaps put extra high grids around one of the pairs, or put one pair atop of a table, with the other underneath, that was they can still hear each other, and start a chorus when you bring them food ;)

mary84

Cavy Slave
I used to have my female fosters in a cage that shared a wall with my 2 boars. It was a 4x4 cage divided in two 2x4 cages. In the picture you can see the cage before the division, but you can have an idea.

It was a nightmare: my boys were fighting each other, chewing the bars, squeaking really loud. I had to buy more cubes to completely separate the cages and move the girls to another room. But I don't know if it's always this way but this is what happened with me.

Good luck!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
My three boys are I guess you would say separate room from the girls. Everything is open, but the girls are in the hallway and the boys in the dining area. They can hear each other but not see each other.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.