Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Bug problem!

txag13

Cavy Slave
So I've had my guineas for a week now, and tonight I noticed a suspicious looking bug crawling around the outside of the cage, pretty small but big enough to see, about the size of an ant and an orangeish copper color. I took care of it but then later on I noticed something actually crawling around in the bedding of the cage. Any idea of what this could be and how to take care of it? I haven't noticed the guineas scratching any more frequently so that's a good thing, I'm just worried this has the potential to become a problem later on, thanks for the help!

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
What kind of bedding are you using? I know sometimes aspen shavings can get bugs in them. Not sure what kind of bug you're dealing with though. If I were you I'd clean out the cage, wash everything, and get some new bedding. Check your pigs to see if they have bugs on them. Lice can be carried through bedding, but those are harder to see & are a creamish color.

txag13

Cavy Slave
I'm using the paper carefresh bedding, so not sure if that could be it, could it be that the bugs are in the hay? I've been giving them the kaytee brand timothy, is that a trustworthy brand?

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
I'm using the paper carefresh bedding, so not sure if that could be it, could it be that the bugs are in the hay? I've been giving them the kaytee brand timothy, is that a trustworthy brand?

Oh gosh! Knowing it's that brand of hay, that's probably the source where the bugs are coming from. Kaytee hay is CRAP. Someone posted on here not too long ago how there were maggots in their kaytee hay. Oxbox and kleenmama are top brands for pellets and hay. I order from kleenmama; however, shipping is spendy, but totally worth it. Can you dig around and see where the bugs are coming from?

txag13

Cavy Slave
uh oh i had no idea :x i'll make sure to go out and get them some oxbow, what's the cheapest way to go about getting them quality hay? is it cheaper ordering it online than at petsmart?

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
uh oh i had no idea :x i'll make sure to go out and get them some oxbow, what's the cheapest way to go about getting them quality hay? is it cheaper ordering it online than at petsmart?

Yes, it is a little cheaper to shop online. Today I ordered 10lbs of timothy pellets and 5lbs of timothy hay that costed me $34, but it will last me around 3 months for my one piggy. Whereas, at pet stores they sell 1lb bags for a few bucks and the quality is bad.

txag13

Cavy Slave
i see online that you can get the kleenmama's timothy hay 15 lb bag for 14 dollars, how much is the shipping? that seems like a really good deal comparing it to the 40 oz bags they sell at petco for 10 to 15 dollars, is there something I'm not seeing?

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
i see online that you can get the kleenmama's timothy hay 15 lb bag for 14 dollars, how much is the shipping? that seems like a really good deal comparing it to the 40 oz bags they sell at petco for 10 to 15 dollars, is there something I'm not seeing?

The shipping for me is more expensive than the hay & pellets together. My order was only $16, but shipping was an extra $18. It's completely worth it though. The quality is amazing & my piggy LOVES the hay. I think ordering oxbow online is cheaper than Kleenmamas but I'm not entirely sure.

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
I get good Timothy hay from my local tractor supply for 5 bucks a huge bale. Good hay to but I am in the horse world and know my hay.

txag13

Cavy Slave
so at the tractor supply store is there any particular brand you get thats good or do you just ask for a bale of timothy hay? thanks for all the help as well guys!

txag13

Cavy Slave
or i guess the better question is what makes quality hay and how do i know what im buying is good quality?

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
You can look for hay at a local farm as well. Farms sell hay for cheap. You will want to ask for timothy hay. You will know it's good if it is green rather than brown, there aren't any bugs in it, and there aren't weeds in the hay.

Kel0123

Cavy Slave
I am no expert, but the bug you described sounds alot like a flea to me. I have had issues my dogs and fleas, I don't know if cavys can get them, but I don't see why not. Make sure you check your piggys over for the next couple days. It doesnt take long for one flea to turn into 100. I know they are super strong and can live awhile without a blood meal so its possible they were in the hay.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Yeah, guinea's can get fleas. Here's some helpful info on parasites. https://www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html

You should really try to figure out what kind of bug you're dealing with so you can figure out how to treat the piggy's if they have been infested.

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
When looking for quality hay at TSC make sure you look at the bale. Look to see if it is damp. ( Ask for timothy or Tmothy/grass mix) If you can pull the flakes apart and look inside the bale( sometimes it is tight and you can't). Smell the bale. If it has a mold or meldew smell don't buy it.
My TSC has the bales in a trailor outside. I also inspect the bale before I agree to buy. Make sure you ask for hay. I would call ahead and ask if it is alfalfa hay or grass mix or timothy. Around here ( Mid-TN) its Timothy or Timothy/Grass mix. I find my girls love it and chow down on it. They wheet when they are low.
I am weird in that I know the smell ( worked with horses to long) of Timothy and its got a odor all its own and I can smell a bale and find one that is mostly Timothy.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I agree I would take a piece of see through packing tape and if you see another bug you should stick it to the tape, fold it up carefully and bring it to your local vet (and/or google its discription) When I bought crap pellets YEARS ago at the pet store in bult a week later I had hundreds of beetles all over my apt. I am still struggling to get rid of them. They are called grainery weevils. They are terribly difficult to get rid of (worse than fleas in my opinion) they eat and breed in grains and grain products. They were in our mac & cheese, they were in our cereal (after 3 days in a row of eating my morning cereal and there were weevils (evils) floating in my milk I was never able to eat cereal again) After moving twice I STILL find them in my food. We had to throw everything out that they were in... Had to open up boxes of au graten potatos, mac and cheese and take any products and put them in air tight bags or containers. It was a nightmare and still is I threw away another box of bisquick that they were in just a few weeks ago. I thought they were gone so I just folded the bag instead of putting it in a ziplock bag. So much for being able to relax a bit... Last year we had a nit (nat) infestation. Ugg if we left a dirty dish out for a minute it was swarmed by these tiny annoying stupid flies. They were annoying as heck. They started getting into the litter boxes I had for the pigs so I stoped the litter boxes as well. Good luck on the bug issue. Here is a link to a list of grain bugs often found in products like the guinea pig food...

Bugs in Your Cupboards

kaite13

Cavy Slave

I live in Canada and just for the pellets (Can't ship hay) Is $40 for shipping! It's just crazy for 10 lbs of pellets! That is WAY out of my price range. It depends where you are, if you get cheap shipping or can afford it I say go for it, as KM' s is the best for your piggers!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.