Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C My girls home before and after.

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
My girls have lived their whole 1.5 years of life in a pet store cage.

First I drew up my design and we measured it out as I was building it.

Now I started today fixing this problem with my birthday money ( happy 29th to me it was last weekend)

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
Now for a cage comparison

Next was the sides of the actual cage going up.

Then enter my fiance as he did the choroplast for me... ( I am not allowed to handle sharp things because I have almost cut off a finger before)

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
We had a pause for dinner.

While I chowed down on my dinner he finished the choroplast...

I am waiting for him to put in all supporting cable ties and I will work on the fleece and hay racks and will post final photos of the girls in the new home.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Those are some lucky little piggies! Their new home is gonna be amazing.

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
thinking its enough room for 2 girls.

Also going to eventually put in a second story with huge hay kitchen

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I agree it looks great!!! I'll bet the piggies will love their new home!!!

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
I actually just took my second level down. I like your design. I'd make one of the "points" be a hay box. Actually I would put their veggies and pellets in one point and their hay in the other point. It would encourage them to go from one end of the cage to the other!

RoxieJo

Cavy Slave
It truly almost brings tears to my eyes to see them in that teeny tiny store cage.... then to see the wonderful piggie palace they have to look forward to! Awesome job- they will be SO HAPPY!!!!!

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
ok Three more....

Before added girls. Yes Fleece looks like poop. I am exhausted.

Adding in goodies and the girls running for salad!

Piggies doing what Piggies do....

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
Btw. I bought these girls from someone and they came in that cage. I just got the money up to build this set up. They were free ranging in my office from the time I got up until I went to bed. Then we herded them to the cage and they slept. Only reason they spent so much time caged today was I had to build the new home in the office. Please know I hate the small cages.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Very nice cage, how awesome to have a "handyman future husband" ! Oh you are so lucky! What are your piggies names ? They are beautiful ! They must be just besides themselves with joy to have such a wonderful new home to live in !

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
I love it! That's exactly how I would have done their food and water too!

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Great job! Awesome cage and I like the U shape design.

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
Very nice cage, how awesome to have a "handyman future husband" ! Oh you are so lucky! What are your piggies names ? They are beautiful ! They must be just besides themselves with joy to have such a wonderful new home to live in !

He only did the choroplast. The rest was me. Oh he put in 10 zip ties lol.

Miss Piggie is the tri colored one and Miss Ginnie is the red and white. Both sows

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
Great job! Awesome cage and I like the U shape design.

I did this design so that my 4 year old could observe them better and we could clean the cage easier. The upper level will come in time. I am still not sure how we will do it but its in my mind.

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
We just discovered my pigs are potty trained!!! They only have pee and poo in the food area.

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
Second floor in the making.

5501bc84.jpg

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
OH wow...potty trained piggies already ? Oh man are you lucky ! One of my piggies, Cuddles USE to somewhat be potty trained, but not anymore. Since bringing them both ( I have 2 girls Buttercup is my other one) downstairs with us in the new 6x2 cage with a 2x2 hay loft, they both ceased using the litter box which I had up in the hayloft, along with piles of hay and their beloved alligator cozy, but took it out because they hardly ever used it.

Cuddles ( an Abyssinian) will be 4 1/2 mos. on March 7th and Buttercup ( An American White Crested Satin) will be 3 1/2 mos on March 20th.

Making these cages is TOUGH isn't it ? Due to my bad back, my husband did most of the putting together part, and he had a most difficult time of it. Next time I will do it myself, just in increments as you did. He just got too frustrated with those darn connectors ! The connectors are so STUPID.

So, I will just be using cable ties when I re-do their cage. I would like to do it sometime soon, and I have found some long cable ties at a Dollar Tree store nearby, and plan to use those along with some pliers because I've heard someone else on here say that by the time she was done her fingers were incredibly sore and raw !

I am also planning to move the t.v into the dining room area because their cage is right up next to it and I worry about it bothering them with their sensitive ears. I wish I could put the cage in the dining room, but it's just too drafty and the door to the garage is right there, so it gets opened a lot. Sure wish we could devote a whole room to them, but you make the most out of what you got, right ?

Your cage is coming along so nicely Beverly ! Great job ! :)

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
When they were free ranged they only pottied near the food areas. So they were potty trained then. Just didn't know it the would be the same in the huge cage.

Pimomma

Cavy Slave
Ohhh I have major Cage envy! We are going to build one very close to what you have here. Your fur babies are so sweet! Yay for the new cage. I bet they are thrilled with it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.