PDA

View Full Version : Cage My Cage.. extending and will this give them more freedom?

CavyGirl18
02-25-11, 07:32 am
Hi there. I am owner to 7 guinea pigs. Having that many I struggle to find space for their cages. They currently live in wooden hutches (all 4.5ft sq, up to 2 piggies living in each cage). My mum and I want to make their lives as good as possible. We get them out for floor time once or twice a day for a long time, so they get to know each other and get exercise.

I was wondering, we don't have much more space in the shed, but how can we make the wooden hutches bigger for the ones living in pairs?
Here is a link to a picture of one of the cages:
One of my cages - Amelia Crouch - My Life Story (http://ameliacrouch.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=118116286)
^^ They are all the same one and size to the one above ^^

We were thinking of expanding it by removing the wood at the back and building on an extra floor with some wood then re-doing the back. Would this work? We are not experts in woodwork by any stretch, but we could do some basic adjustments.

Also, if we can't expand it in that way, would taking out the middle bit and keeping the hay nest to keep them warm work? Here is a link to a picture of the middle wall:
The hole - Amelia Crouch - My Life Story (http://ameliacrouch.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=118116287)

Please nobody say 'are you sure you can't fit in a c&c cage?' because we really can't. We tried moving funiture and everything, but have a small house and a dog who would continously bark and scare the life out of the guinea pigs if they were inside.

Thanks to all who help, it's greatly apprieciated.

Ash-Ro060708
02-25-11, 09:17 am
Hi, I think we were talking via Y! mail.
Welcome to the forum.

As you will learn we are very pro-indoor living and I know that where you live it's very common for guinea pigs to be kept outdoors/in sheds but it's not in the best interest of their health and well being.

I don't know how small your house is but I live in a 800sq ft house with 4 dogs, 3 indoor cats, and 4 guinea pigs, and my guinea pig cages, their stuff, and a dog kennel take up about 3/4 of one of my 100sq ft rooms. I got rid of what ever I needed to make the space for my guinea pig cages and when I unexpectedly rescued another male I got rid of more stuff to make more space to build him a proper sized cage. I would have larger cages if I could but I don't have an extra foot anywhere at the moment.

I'm sorry I really can't help you more. Like I said before I have only had homemade cages in the house, so I don't know what you could do with your hutches in the shed.

lissie
02-25-11, 02:58 pm
Can you make room for a stacked cage? It wouldn't take up as much room as having all the cages side by side.
You can build something like this.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/506/medium/C_C_7x_Pigs_2x5.JPG (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/20975)

Here are some ideas for doors. You can make the whole front panel open for cleaning, or you could make small openings.
Doors - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/530)

itzmeigh
02-25-11, 03:06 pm
I think that if you can't house them better then you are then it might be time to think about cutting back to 2 pigs for right now.

It seems like you ask this question a lot and every time you get the exact same answer. If you cut back to 2 pigs then you'd have a much better chance to be able to bring them inside or to make a larger cage there in the shed.

But really without pictures of the inside of the shed there is no way to offer help on how to make the cages bigger.

(and if you have 7 pigs then you can't have 2 in every cage... One cage either has 3 or 1...)

If you REALLY want to make their lives as good as possible then decreasing your herd size to 2 or even 4 pigs would really be your best starting place. And really I'd encourage you to cut back to 2 for now until you are in a place of your own where you can have your cages how you want/need them.

lissie
02-25-11, 03:12 pm
It seems like you ask this question a lot and every time you get the exact same answer. If you cut back to 2 pigs then you'd have a much better chance to be able to bring them inside or to make a larger cage there in the shed.

Am I missing something? Looks like this is her first post. (From the number of posts next to her username). How does reducing the herd help her? A stacked cage would take up as little room as a one level C&C cage.

itzmeigh
02-25-11, 03:21 pm
Hum... Maybe I'm confusing her with someone else. But there was another poster with the exact same problem. Right down to the wood cages in the shed. Trying to move them inside but not enough room... No matter what anyone suggested it wouldn't work... I"m going to go search for it now.

If she would stack her cages then that would be a good idea. But right now (as I understand it) she has 7 pigs that live in a shed. A shed outside. If she reduced her herd she might could find room INSIDE for a small cage with 2 pigs but might not have room inside for a stacked cage with 7 pigs.

Onetwo
02-25-11, 03:27 pm
I agree with many people here. Domesticated guinea pigs and UK weather are NOT good for these fragile little critters. Even in a shed. Here are some links for you to read... There was recently a UK person on GL that made a sad attempt at telling the experienced owners on GL that outdoor living was ok. Its NOT ok...

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59836

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60479&highlight=housing+outdoors

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/25502-summer-coming-should-you-house-your-guinea-pig-outside.html

PLEASE consider reducing your herd and bringing them inside!!!

Sirene
02-25-11, 04:20 pm
Hi there! Welcome to the site!

I agree with the others. 4.5 sq ft is tiny for 2 pigs - the minimum recommended space for 2 pigs is 7.5 sq ft, with 10.5 sq ft being preferred! I think Lissie's idea of the stacked cage is the best one, and even in a small house, I'm sure you can make room. It's just a case of prioritizing things. If your pets aren't a priority, as others have said, maybe you shouldn't have them.

I grew up in the UK and had guinea pigs in a similar setup when I was a child. Having learned now that this is outdated thinking and poor animal husbandry, I would never do it again. Some of the horror stories you read about outdoor pigs freezing to death, being burned in shed fires or being attacked or killed (seriously, like a couple a month, just on here) don't bear thinking about.

Also, you should think about giving your pigs separate floortime. The way I read your post, they all get floortime together, or in larger groups. Putting pigs who don't normally share a cage together and then separating them is very stressful on them, as they don't get a chance to properly establish a "pecking order". It can cause fights, some of which can be serious. Also, are all your pigs one gender? If not, please tell me you don't let unneutered males and females play together...

We'd be glad to help you figure out ways to bring your pigs indoors. It just has to be something you are willing to do. Where there's a will, there's a way!

CavyGirl18
02-27-11, 06:44 am
Hi Everyone,
Hmm.. I dont think I know you Ash, and I've only just joined so this is my first post.
Well I am sad to say my oldest guinea pig died aged 7 yesterday :( That means my herd is down to 6. My cousins (aged 14 and 16) are twins and they said they could probably take on 2 of my guinea pigs. This way I wouldnt be missing them as much because they live down the road to me and I could probably visit them every day. That puts numbers down to 4.
Anyone think taking out the middle wall with a whole in the middle would make their lives easier? Room for more laps I think.

CavyGirl18
02-27-11, 07:50 am
Lol sorry I didnt mean my cousins were twins I was thinking of cousins from my dad's side lol

CavyGirl18
02-27-11, 08:27 am
Hi there! Welcome to the site!

I agree with the others. 4.5 sq ft is tiny for 2 pigs - the minimum recommended space for 2 pigs is 7.5 sq ft, with 10.5 sq ft being preferred! I think Lissie's idea of the stacked cage is the best one, and even in a small house, I'm sure you can make room. It's just a case of prioritizing things. If your pets aren't a priority, as others have said, maybe you shouldn't have them.

I grew up in the UK and had guinea pigs in a similar setup when I was a child. Having learned now that this is outdated thinking and poor animal husbandry, I would never do it again. Some of the horror stories you read about outdoor pigs freezing to death, being burned in shed fires or being attacked or killed (seriously, like a couple a month, just on here) don't bear thinking about.

Also, you should think about giving your pigs separate floortime. The way I read your post, they all get floortime together, or in larger groups. Putting pigs who don't normally share a cage together and then separating them is very stressful on them, as they don't get a chance to properly establish a "pecking order". It can cause fights, some of which can be serious. Also, are all your pigs one gender? If not, please tell me you don't let unneutered males and females play together...

We'd be glad to help you figure out ways to bring your pigs indoors. It just has to be something you are willing to do. Where there's a will, there's a way!

My mum and I have perhaps found a way... we are meant to be moving house very soon and that means I will get a bigger house and perhaps get them living in my bedroom! We are really searching for places it can go.

Yes, I will stop giving them floor time together. I thought it would be good for my piggie living by itself, but oh well. He gets enough cuddles anyway! And by the way the boys are neutered :)

Oh yes I have a slight allergy to hay and dust so they can't go in my room but as I'd like but perhaps when we move I'll get a bigger room and it wont be so bad we'll see

Ash-Ro060708
02-27-11, 10:23 am
Hmm.. I dont think I know you Ash, and I've only just joined so this is my first post.

I think we were talking via Yahoo! mail... not here(I have a different name there). Unless there are a lot of people with 7 guinea pigs living in 4.5 sq ft huts in a shed with a similar name. lol

Sorry to hear about your guinea pig.

CavyGirl18
02-27-11, 04:45 pm
Ahh I think that was me lol
That's ok. My cousins have got Pepsi and Cola. I am down to 4.
Anyone got any ideas on how to expand the cages for now before we try and fit in C&C oneS?

Onetwo
02-27-11, 05:44 pm
Cavygirl- sorry about jolin, obviously a SPAMMER! Hopefully a mod will throw them out soon. PLEASE do not click on their links! Just hit the little caution sign in the upper right hand corner of their post and report them as spam.

Anyways about your dilema. Obviously bringing them indoors into your room would be a VERY excellent idea! That is so great that you are considering it and should DEFINATELY do it for a better life!

Its sad that you lost a piggy. I am very sorry for your loss. Living outside is very hard on them.

There is a great link for allergies and stuff. I cannot find it right now but maybe someone else could help with that.

How long is it going to take to get your new place? Personally I would start by cleaning out the house you are staying in (You and your family are going to have to do that anyways when you move). Then once everything that is absoluetly not essential is gone see if you can fit a stacking 2x4 cage in one of the rooms. Not sure if you have other pets but you need to make sure that it is secure if you do. Weather the pet has access to the room or not. There have been many times where people have had baby gates up or the door constantly closed and all it takes is one time of forgetting for the dog or cat to go in and kill the guinea pigs if their cage is not completely secured. If you really cannot or do not want to make a C&C cage and/or bring them out I personally would take apart all the wood structures completely and redesign something using those pieces. Again I would do something that stacks so they can have the maximum amout of level floor space. 1 square meter is prefered for 2 guinea pigs so a cage that is 76 x 127cm would be good. I'm gonna go see if I can find a pic in the gallery...

Ly&Pigs
02-27-11, 06:07 pm
Moderator Note:
If you see a post or thread that is spam, do not reply to it, quote it, comment about it or click links in it. All you need to do is report it via the report post icon (white triangle bordered in red with a ! in the center) and it will be removed as soon as one of us mods see it and the user banned. We do not tolerate spammers here period.

All you need to do is pretend you never saw it outside of reporting it. Thanks.

GuineaLove
02-27-11, 09:41 pm
CavyGirl it sounds like you want the absolute best for your guinea pigs. This site is full of great information to help you give your guinea pigs the best possible life. The more you look around and read the more you will learn.

When I was young I had rabbits and guinea pigs outside. They seemed happy and healthy. I believed at the time I was doing what was best for them. It is amazing how much has been discovered about these amazing animals. We now know so much more about their care and their needs.

I hope that soon you and your guinea pigs will get to experience the joys of housing them indoors.