Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast 3x4 C&C with coroplast + fleece + towels

Keekers

Cavy Slave
(Sorry if my questions should be broken up into different topics, i was unsure.)​
I'm currently building a 3x4 C&C cage for my two spoiled girls! I need some measurements. How many yards of fleece should i buy for the 3x4 cage? Of course i'm going to be buying different patterns. The fleece at Jo-Anns always seems too small, width-wise.

Another thing, we bought some coroplast which is 4ft x 8ft; (originally we were going to build a 2x4). I'm not sure if this will work for a 3x4, because it seems the edges would be very low.

Lastly, I've been reading and i think towels would be the best choice to absorb the pee. Should i add two layers of towels, and two layers of fleece?

Keekers

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to make their cage as soon as possible to get them out of their nasty pet store cage. Any suggestions on the measurements?

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure I can help on the fleece, I'm not sure of the measurements of a 3x4 grid cage. But Fleece usually comes in 45 inch or 60 inch wide width and a yard is 36 inches. So measure your cage and then figure from there. (So, one yard of fleece is either 45"x36" or 60"x36" depending on how wide the fleece is.)

As for the Coro. You don't really HAVE to have high sides. You don't even actually have to have sides. The sides were more important back before the days of fleece I think to help keep the loose bedding in. But with the fleece you don't really have that problem. So really 1-2 inch sides are just as good with fleece as 3-6 inch sides. I actually have no sides on my cage. I didn't use Coro at all. I do sometimes have a little hay or a stray poop escape but nothing that a quick sweep with the broom can't handle. Taller sides might be more important if you have a really really young baby but just aren't that important with an older piggy.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If your fleece is too narrow, stitch two pieces together. I think the maximum width is 60" and usually an inch or so on each side is a seam edge so you might even get less than the 60". You can machine stitch pieces together to make them wider. I've done that before and it works well if you're making fleece pads.

brandie1977

Cavy Slave
Hi I am a new guinea pig pet owner. I looked at this post because I thought I might learn something about building a cage.

I'm not sure I understand are you going to make a "mattress" to use all over the cage? Or is it just for the "bed" area? Wouldn't you have to change the whole "mattress" daily and then have to pick up all the poop before washing? I'm thinking I sound completely clueless, I sure feel that way! I thought you were supossed to use saw dust all over the cage. I know not the cedar one!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Brandie check this link out...

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

Keekers-

Check out this link

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/58123-review-uhaul-blanket.html

As for sides you dont NEED to have them. I dont but my piggies are fully grown and I don't have issues with my kids or pets bugging them. I also use fleece bedding and do have some poops flung but nothing that cant be picked/vacummed or swept up. I do however suggest having some kind of wall between the back of the cage and the wall because once a larger cage is built it gets heavy and hard to move to get the poops they fling in the back.

For a 3x4 cage your interior dimensions (not including the coro) will be 42.5 by 57.75 inches. A 4x8 piece of coro would fit because its dimension is 48"x96". I would hack it the short way to be 58 inches and then fit it in (unless you want sides) and then score it (cut it half way through on the WRONG side) at 42.5 inches that way you have a good 6" back to prevent poops behind. That would work great. But if You really want sides you will have to add 3-4-5 inches (times 2) to the 57.75 inch measurement and then mark 3-4-5 inch side and score it on the wrong side to make the sides... Hope that makes sense. Its very hard to do the first time. I HIGHLY recommend a sheet rocking square (Its a huge long 4 foot looking metal T and works GREAT for this job) that way your coro is square and the measurements are accurate. Just be sure to measure twice (or thrice, or 4 times) and cut once...

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
I think the fleece I got for my 3x4 was 50 inches by 60 inches or something, it has extra that I fold over the edges. My coroplast was small also, I ave 3 inch edges on mine and it works perfectly for tucking the fleece over.

The fleece I got came rolled up like a blanket from the sewing section in Wal-mart actually. They sell little rolls of fleece in different patterns the EXACT size you need for a 3x4 cage, and they are really cheap because they aren't blankets, they are just meant to be rolls of fabric for making PJs and stuff.

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
My Fleece was just some blankets (throws) from Wal-Mart. They were sold in a 2 pack and one was a solid color and the other was with stripes. They were like $6 for 2 and then went down to like $3 for 2. They are a little thin but I don't mind. They work just fine. They tend to have these throws a lot during the times where there isn't a holiday. (So like fall or summer)

So that is another reason I wasn't sure about measurements.

Keekers

Cavy Slave
Wow, i never knew the sides were supposed to keep bedding in from a long time ago, that's interesting. Thanks for the feedback guys, you all have helped me a lot and have given me some cool ideas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.