Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Is My Cadbury Sick?

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
How normal is sneezing for piggys? My guinea pig sneezes at least once every 5 minutes. He has always sneezed, but lately when he sneezes a little bit of clear mucus comes out of his nose. He seems to be fine besides sneezing & he hasn't really lost any weight. He's been eating like normal too. After reading so many stories on URI's I'm always worried Cad will get one so I don't know if I'm just being paranoid. Here's his weight for the last few days.. (measured in lbs).

2/18 1.72
2/19 1.79
2/20 1.82
2/21 1.85
2/22 1.84
2/23 1.84

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I have been told and I have read on https:// guinealynx.com that allergies are very rare..so I would not delay in getting Cadbury to a vet ASAP !

That's just my opinion though...good luck piggie pal friend !!

I also, most definitely don't think you are being "paranoid", because to me it sounds like the beginning of a URI. Also, given the fact that piggies hide their discomfort really well until they are REALLY sick, and then often it can be too late. However, maybe someone else who has had more experience than I can tell you what they think too.

I would rather you play it on the safer side and take Cadbury to your vet...for as you might already know, they can go downhill so fast, you know ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I would take him to the vet.

If he does have allergies the vet will be able to determine that but he could have something else going on.

Weight looks good. Seems like he might be a smaller pig which may be his norm.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks for the replies. So sneezing that much isn't normal then? There's no chance that he just likes to sneeze a lot? What else could it be besides allergies? Does anyone else think it sounds like a start of a URI? My vet is an hour and a half away, but I'm hoping I can bring him Friday or Saturday. Oh & I think he's small because he's still young... 4-5 months old.

Last edited:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
No, pigs most definitely do not just "like" to sneeze. If you're seeing an increase in frequency of sneezing and now the onset of a discharge, clear or otherwise, it's time for a vet, regardless of weight.

Aside from allergies, it could be dusty hay that's irritating his nose, but it's much more likely to be the onset of a URI and so a vet visit is definitely wise.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Okay. Thanks Paula for the advice. I was also thinking that it could be his hay since I'm down to the end of it & it is a lot dustier. I need to order some more from KM. I'm still going to bring him to the vet to be safe. I found out that the vet I went to in the past with my bird charges $85 a visit, but I found another cavvy savvy vet for $52. Cadbury has an appointment tomorrow night (Friday) at 6:40. The vet is on my way back home from college & he's going to be spending the trip in a store bought cage. I'm going to stay the night in the cities so will he be ok if he's in the store bought cage for one night?

I hope he's okay. =[ He's my everything. I would be devastated if anything were to happen to him.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
He'll be fine in a smaller cage for a single night. :)

Glad you found a cheaper vet!

Stef41

Cavy Slave
Awww Cadbury! Good luck with the vet appointment!

Please update when you know more about his condition! Best wishes!

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Update: So Cadbury and I just got back to the vet not too long ago. The vet said he is a healthy piggy and everything looks good. Although, I have never heard my piggy screech so loud. When the vet was looking at his teeth he didn't like it at all. I didn't know he could make such a loud noise. The vet also said that his lungs sound good, but gave me antibiotics for a URI just in case. He said if the sneezing doesn't stop then he just might be one of those piggy's with allergies. He was going to prescribe him Baytril, but then I reminded him that Cadbury is only 4-5 months old so he gave me a different antibiotic. I forgot to have them write the name of it down for me because I wanted to see if any of you guys have heard of it. I'm supposed to give him .03cc's every 12 hours for 6 days. I think I'll call the vet tomorrow to see what the antibiotic is called. He said it's safe for pig's and he uses it a lot. I'm very proud with this vet. They were all so nice and very knowdlegable on the proper care for piggy's. I think the vet was impressed by how much I know about pig's all thanks to this website. Tee hee. So overall good news! =] Oh, & it was only $64 for the check-up and antibiotics, which isn't bad at all!

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Not bad at all for a vet visit AND antibiotics! Nice! Please let us know what the name of the antibiotic is, it does concern me a tad that he prescribed Baytril considering Cadbury's age.

Love the name, by the way! He seems like such a sweetheart.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Not bad at all for a vet visit AND antibiotics! Nice! Please let us know what the name of the antibiotic is, it does concern me a tad that he prescribed Baytril considering Cadbury's age.

Love the name, by the way! He seems like such a sweetheart.

Hehe thanks! Well, the reason why he said baytril was because he thought Cadbury was at least a year old. Once I told him that he was only 4-5 months old he right away said that he should be prescribed something different since he's still a baby. I let you know asap when I find out what he's taking. Thanks!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
So you have a piggie with an allergy then, huh ? What do you think he is allergic to ? The dusty hay ? I got a 9lb bag from Kleenmama's that was incredibly dusty ( as well as mostly brown..but Linda over there at Kleenmama's has had a few complaints this week on the 3rd cut timothy and believes that I ( along with a few other of her customers) just got a bad batch ! She was so gracious and generous about the whole thing too.

I haven't been giving them too much of it, since it is just so brown and so very very dusty. SO I have been giving them the other 9lbs bag of bluegrass/alfalfa mix which also has some brown mixed in but it smells pretty good but they haven't really been eating too much of it though. ???

What kind of bedding do you use ( if you mentioned it before sorry...) Just trying to be of help...

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
So you have a piggie with an allergy then, huh ? What do you think he is allergic to ? The dusty hay ? I got a 9lb bag from Kleenmama's that was incredibly dusty ( as well as mostly brown..but Linda over there at Kleenmama's has had a few complaints this week on the 3rd cut timothy and believes that I ( along with a few other of her customers) just got a bad batch ! She was so gracious and generous about the whole thing too.

I haven't been giving them too much of it, since it is just so brown and so very very dusty. SO I have been giving them the other 9lbs bag of bluegrass/alfalfa mix which also has some brown mixed in but it smells pretty good but they haven't really been eating too much of it though. ???

What kind of bedding do you use ( if you mentioned it before sorry...) Just trying to be of help...

No, he MIGHT have allergies. If the sneezing doesn't go away by the last dosage of antibiotics then he probably has allergies. I use fleece so he would probably be allergic to the hay or possibly the laundry soap I used, but I will cross that border when I get there. For now, I'll wait & see if the antibiotics help.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Okay I found out the antibiotic... It's called TMS. They said it's a sulfa drug. I see that bactrim is a sulfa drug as well. Does this sound right?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
TMS is Trimeth Sulfa. It's Bactrim.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I have two pigs who have been diagnosed with allergies - we get oral benadryl when symptoms are bad. If he's still sneezing at the end of the antibiotics, you might consider asking to try some with Cadbury.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
I have two pigs who have been diagnosed with allergies - we get oral benadryl when symptoms are bad. If he's still sneezing at the end of the antibiotics, you might consider asking to try some with Cadbury.

Okay, thank you Paula. As of right now the sneezing hasn't minimized, but he's only been on it for a day. I'll definitely ask the vet about the benadryl if the sneezing is continuous.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Okay, so Cadbury only has 2 more days left on his antibiotics & his sneezing is still about the same. Like I said before, he's always been a sneezer. His sneezes sound like little sighs; they aren't very intense. His eating, weight, and everything else is normal. Anyways, I'm thinking it is allergies then. What could he be allergic to? I was thinking maybe the detergent I'm using with the fleece, but even before I used fleece he would sneeze. Possibly the hay?--I doubt that though since it's not dusty. ME?--Just kidding. But really, this is bugging me. I don't understand what he is sneezing from. Should I not be concerned since everything else is normal? Help. Thanks!

I might try some allergy meds like Paula suggested.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The benadryl really helps my allergy peegs. Ask your vet for a trial run and see if it helps him. My Tupper gets what my vet describes as simple "hay fever" (my husband always jokes that this is dreadful since they eat hay, ha!) when my allergies tend to get bad at different times throughout the year. It might not be anything in the cage but rather a more environmental thing going in in the house or the area where you live. The sympoms aren't just sneezing, though, but instead sneezing accompanied with a nasal wheezing that sounds rather awful. Still, though, if your vet is willing to try it, I would recommend it.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.