Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Here are the girls

rRocketM

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I am a new cavy owner and, though I have been poking around the site for a few weeks now, I thought I would take a minute to introduce the girls...

Above is Georgia, aka GiGi. She is my first guinea pig and, for her well being, I decided to adopt a cage-mate for her. Though she is still in quarantine, below is a picture of Ginger.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Welcome! They are gorgeous!!! What pretty girls!

I do have one comment, though - if they are being quarantined, they shouldn't be on the same towel or bedding (as it looks like they are, above) or using the same toys/blankets. I believe you should also be changing your clothes between handling them, too.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Cute pigs. How old is Georgia and how long have you had her?

rRocketM

Cavy Slave
I do have one comment, though - if they are being quarantined, they shouldn't be on the same towel or bedding (as it looks like they are, above) or using the same toys/blankets. I believe you should also be changing your clothes between handling them, too.

You are right, however... Ginger is in quarantine, so GiGi was photographed first. I am preventing anything Ginger may have from getting to GiGi. Also, the picture of Ginger was taken about an hour after coming home from the vet. I wanted to have her looked over just to be safe.

I do not have any hard ages on them, but Ginger is around three according to her previous owner. GiGi looks to be around 8 - 10 months from her length and weight.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
They truly need to be quarantined from one another, not necessarily new from old or vice versa. Your current/first pig could have an illness or something that you are not aware of yet.

A vet check might not reveal anything substantial either. When a guinea pig is sick, they hide their symptoms extremely well, and when they do finally show them, it means that the illness is very advanced. So, your first pig could be sick and not being showing symptoms yet. Also, there is the mites issue. Your current pig could have mites and you not know it.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Pretty girls! Love that reddish color.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.