PDA

View Full Version : Here are the girls

rRocketM
02-15-11, 12:22 pm
Hi everyone. I am a new cavy owner and, though I have been poking around the site for a few weeks now, I thought I would take a minute to introduce the girls...

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/rrocketm-albums-guinea-pigs-picture8303-georgia-aka-gigi.jpg

Above is Georgia, aka GiGi. She is my first guinea pig and, for her well being, I decided to adopt a cage-mate for her. Though she is still in quarantine, below is a picture of Ginger.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/rrocketm-albums-guinea-pigs-picture8304-ginger.jpg

Sirene
02-15-11, 12:24 pm
Welcome! They are gorgeous!!! What pretty girls!

I do have one comment, though - if they are being quarantined, they shouldn't be on the same towel or bedding (as it looks like they are, above) or using the same toys/blankets. I believe you should also be changing your clothes between handling them, too.

Rnd210
02-15-11, 12:27 pm
Cute pigs. How old is Georgia and how long have you had her?

rRocketM
02-15-11, 12:33 pm
I do have one comment, though - if they are being quarantined, they shouldn't be on the same towel or bedding (as it looks like they are, above) or using the same toys/blankets. I believe you should also be changing your clothes between handling them, too.

You are right, however... Ginger is in quarantine, so GiGi was photographed first. I am preventing anything Ginger may have from getting to GiGi. Also, the picture of Ginger was taken about an hour after coming home from the vet. I wanted to have her looked over just to be safe.

I do not have any hard ages on them, but Ginger is around three according to her previous owner. GiGi looks to be around 8 - 10 months from her length and weight.

SFailed186
02-15-11, 01:53 pm
They truly need to be quarantined from one another, not necessarily new from old or vice versa. Your current/first pig could have an illness or something that you are not aware of yet.

A vet check might not reveal anything substantial either. When a guinea pig is sick, they hide their symptoms extremely well, and when they do finally show them, it means that the illness is very advanced. So, your first pig could be sick and not being showing symptoms yet. Also, there is the mites issue. Your current pig could have mites and you not know it.

RubyRain
02-15-11, 01:53 pm
Pretty girls! Love that reddish color.