Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites They’re Back

guinea808

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

We treated both of our guinea pigs for 3 weeks with oral Ivermectin for mites.

It has been just over 3 weeks since their last dosage. They were doing great, but I think the mites are back again because they are scratching like crazy, don't like to be held or touched and are getting bald spots in front of their ears from scratching. In fact, the have scratched so hard last night that one of them has broken the skin.

I called the vet and am leaving shortly to pick up some more Ivermectin.

My three questions are:
#1 Is it normal for the mites to come back?
#2 What can we do to prevent future mite infestations?
#3 Can I use Neosporin on the area they scratched open?

Thanks!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Sometimes guinea pigs need additional treatments to eliminate mites. That's not unusual. I would not use neosporin since they can ingest it. You might want to follow up with a vet visit so they can be checked to rule out something else and have any sores checked.

guinea808

Cavy Slave
I would not use neosporin since they can ingest it.

Hi Pinky,

That's what we thought too, but it was actually the vet who had recommended we use Neosporin.

Has anyone ever used Neosporin or had a vet recommend it?

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Both my pigs had mites, but one had to be treated for 6 weeks because his was just that stubborn. He also broke the skin and lost hair in his rosettes. I left him and his skin alone for a while. We only picked his up to give him meds, then I would rub his forehead a bit and put him back, he looked so uncomfortable. All his scabs healed very well, so I would leave those alone, but keep an eye out for infection.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
You can use neosporin, as long as it is a very then layer and it is in an area that the pig can not get too. For a scratch from scratching I think just leaving it alone and making sure that it stays clean and doesn't get infected that it should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.