Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives How many use a pool for their cage?

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I did a search and didn't see much, esp not current.
Just wondering if many people use the kiddie pool with fencing/grids around it for their cage.

For those that do-how do you like it?

I know many here use the C&C cages but since I have a new kiddie pool taking up space in the garage I figured I should use my resources wisely ;)
It's the medium size, not the tiny one.

I also like the idea of the high sides to keep in the bedding/hay.

Thanks for any input.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I would use it personally for play time or for cage cleaning day if anything else. With a pool the shape is awkward for the grids and they don't get much run space since it's circular. Maybe as an attachment to your cage? Just my opinion, but if you have a large enough one it's worth a try?

It'd make a pretty amazing hay room ;) Piggies would LOVE that for sure

Stef41

Cavy Slave
I agree with Kim. I would probably refrain from using it as their main cage...but it would make an awesome playtime space or hay room! In fact, I like that idea so much I may have to go buy a kiddie pool!

I never thought of that, but it would even be the perfect little "travel" playpen for areas you can't set up a normal one with grass and such. Thanks for the idea! :D

vernamay

Cavy Slave
I use one for floor time and I think that is all it is good for. My piggies haven't tried to get out of it, during the short time I have them in it but I wouldn't risk that for overnight. Also it really limits what you can do with the cage. How would you hang a water bottle and a hay rack? The piggies are happier higher up too, I think or maybe they are not feeling every footstep in the house, through the floor.

When it isn't in use, I just push the kiddy pool under the 3ft x 4ft c&c cage we made. It just sticks out a little bit.

hope this helps.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I'll still have the grids/fence around it so there is no chance for escape. I can hang the hay rack and water bottle from the grids with zip ties/longer hooks I have. I'm going to experiment to see what works best.
They won't be feeling footsteps because we have a walk out basement and the family area and 2 bedrooms are downstairs and this is where the GP will be.

She won't be on the floor anyway, we have a large counter area that the pool will fit on and the plan is to have it up there. But if that's too high for general care then we'll put it down on the floor in a nice open area we have in the corner.

I can always modify later but this is a good start for us since I already have the pool.

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
I use one for floor time. I have the boys in ti right now as a matter of fact. I've used it for at least a full day with no problems at all. Right now they are in a "small" 3.5ft pool and the sides are about 9 inches tall. I also have a 5 foot (closer to 4.5) pool and the sides on that one are closer to 1 feet tall. I'd have no problem using the larger pool over night if needed.

I don't use anything around the pool but then I don't leave them in the pool too long if no one is going to be around (Like I'll carry on with my day about the house, but wouldn't run to the store).

I wouldn't use the pool all the time only because the bedding slips around so leaves the bottom uncovered. There just isn't any way to hold the bedding in place. Also the round size just takes up a lot of room. (Their cage is 3ft x 4ft and yet the pool seems to take up more room then the cage.)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Even if you have grids around it, it's not large enough for what the pigs need and as someone mentioned, the round shape doesn't give them a lot of running around space. I agree with everyone else, use it as a play space when you clean the regular cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.