PDA

View Full Version : Size Why always x2 and not x3?

Wolflore
02-09-11, 04:21 pm
I've been spending some time looking around and reading plenty of posts and one thing has struck me as a little odd. There is a lot of talk about maximising floor space yet most builds seem to be of the 3,4 or 5 grids x2. Is it a correlation between grid pack sizes and correplast sheet size that makes people choose the x2 grid option over the three? I hope that folk do not find this thread provocative in anyway. I'm here to learn and am happy to be told by more knowledgeable folk on here.

Kel0123
02-09-11, 04:32 pm
My reasoning for doing a x2 is because I was going to put the cage on our large coffee table. I still made it to big and it's now on the floor until I figure out what to do next. I think it's mostly a space issue to fit it in a room, and not about floor space for the piggys. I'm sure everyone has their reasons tho. If you're planning on doing a C&C, don't worry about what everyone else does, just do what works for you :-)

louie_joey
02-09-11, 04:43 pm
Its usually just easier to fit into the space that you have. x3 is actually preferable because there is more space to turn corners while running laps and just gives more space in general. I went with x2 because that was the size that would fit on the coffee table.

lissie
02-09-11, 04:49 pm
If you look in the gallery, you'll see many sizes. Some people make 3x4, 3x5, 3x6... or 4x... or 5x..

PrttyChngaderas
02-09-11, 04:51 pm
I am actually about to expand my cage to a 3x3 from a 2x3. I have this particular cage in my home studio and the spot it is in will easily support a 3x3 cage. I might lose my top floor, though. *sigh* There is this little nook in my studio that is perfect for a 3x3. I will end up having to sew some fleeces together, though. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I will say that my husband is quickly getting over me taking this stuff apart and putting it back together. *laughs* poor thing. Be he always does it and never complains (out loud).

brindyzoeycandy
02-09-11, 05:03 pm
I personally prefer 3x instead of 2x, which is why there is a stacked 3x4 in my bedroom. (Top level for pigs, bottom two levels for bunnies) However, one pair of mine went into the guestroom, and it could only fit 2x4. (Well, and 3x3, but I hadn't realized it until after I built it)

mary84
02-09-11, 05:05 pm
Thanks for posting this question Wolflore!!

I was wondering the exact same thing. I have 2 boars in a 2x4 C&C but I'm planning to extend to a 3x4 because I think the cage is to small for them.

mmas4
02-09-11, 05:20 pm
I have a 5x2 because thre is no space for a x3. When I move I will be making at least a 5x3. Maybe bigger if I have space. I agree that a x3 is better. Easier for them to run laps.

Sirene
02-09-11, 05:22 pm
I loved my 3x4 but it was difficult to clean and catch my pigs, because two sides of it were against walls and I couldn't reach into the far corners. I changed it to a 2x6, which is the same area, but easier for me to maintain.

gidgethansen
02-09-11, 05:32 pm
I pretty much have the same reason as the rest. It fits perfect on my table 2X5 with a 2X2 loft. No way would a 3X fit on any table I have. But I belive the more space the better.

Kimberly713
02-09-11, 05:53 pm
Lots of reasons/ Most prefer it because it is more convienent to fit a thinner cage into most areas. Many, obviously, will agree a x3 is better for the pigs so they can run more and have more space. It is also a matter of cleaning and grabbing the pigs. With a 3x3, 3x4, etc it is harder for many to reach their pigs and clean and such especially if it is on a stand, on the floor wouldn't be too difficult though.

Personally when we move, if it's a larger home I would like to have either a 2xsomething L shape cage or a 3x5 for my pigs, it just seems better so you can actually put things in the middle without them having to push things around to run laps lol

PrttyChngaderas
02-09-11, 05:57 pm
I measured stuff out in my studio a little bit ago and thinking about it... 3x3 might be a little on the hard side for me to reach into as three sides are up against walls. Oh, I am not happy about this. I am going to have to do a 2x5. Where in the world am I going to come up with that room?

Sirene
02-09-11, 06:53 pm
I am going to have to do a 2x5. Where in the world am I going to come up with that room?

Make it an L-shape?

Nicolene
02-09-11, 06:56 pm
Make it an L-shape?

I agree, I love our L-shape:

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o453/Nicolene_2008/P1030269.jpg

Wolflore
02-10-11, 01:38 am
Funny enough, we were admiring that very same L-shape just yesterday evening. Thanks for the responses. As with most things in life it seems a matter of having enough space ourselves to give to our pigs.

SFailed186
02-10-11, 07:58 am
One of the main reasons that my sister and I made a 2x3 and 2x5 is because our sign shop does not sell bigger sheets of coroplast. The biggest sheet that they sell is big enough to be two grids wide and have 2-3 inch sides. They do have it in crazy lengths, though, haha. We ended up taping our 2x3 piece to our 2x5 piece and made our cage like that. So, this is what ours looks like;

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/20859/ppuser/11324 (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/../photos/showphoto.php/photo/20859/ppuser/11324)

(I tried to post the actual picture, but it is not letting me. It's probably because I am on a school laptop...)
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showfull.php?photo=20859

Sirene
02-10-11, 10:08 am
Funny enough, we were admiring that very same L-shape just yesterday evening. Thanks for the responses. As with most things in life it seems a matter of having enough space ourselves to give to our pigs.

I have the same L-shape, but on a stand. I wanted to make a 2x5 or 2x6, but it wouldn't fit in the corner of the room I wanted to use. I love the L-shape, as I can reach into all the corners. I also have mine on a stand, which gives me lots of storage space underneath. Here's my cage:

Cage remodel - L-shaped 2x6 - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/21925)

vernamay
02-12-11, 08:41 pm
We made a 3ft x 4ft &c cage and put it in a corner. Then I found it hard to reach the back of the cage to clean it. Today I fixed it so I can flip the grids down in front and shouldn't have them in my ribcage the next time I clean the cage.

Also I had planned on adding a upper level but haven't yet because I thought it would make catching piggies and cleaning even harder. But I was reading in this forum that someone fixed their upper level so it could flip up and flat to be out of the way for cleaning. Also I've been using the piggie elevator to catch them so no longer chasing them. So between those 2 tips from these pages the upper level will be on again.

Onetwo
02-12-11, 09:50 pm
Dont forget about fleece. If I were to buy fleece for a 3x3 I would only get one change out of it because fleece is generally 60"wide (by howevver long you want it) So if I get 4 feet and cut it down the long way I have 2 cage changes. If I had the wider cage then I would only get one change. Then I would also have a bit of "waste". Here is a pic of my 4x4. HATED it. I had to step in it to clean it and I ended up dragging poop all over.

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii428/xealia_photos/Guinea%20pigs/P1030727-1.jpg

Plus I could NEVER catch the piggies....