Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage with storage underneath?

LillySadie

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I am making a 2x4 cage with coroplast, and I want to have the cage up off the floor, so I can have some storage, as well as to just keep the cage off the floor...we live in FL, and any type of food near the floor, I'm afraid will just BEG for bugs, which I REALLY don't want!

I have seen some picturs of C&C cages up off the floor, with the grids underneath, but I have no idea what the cage actually looks like with the coroplast off...so I can see how to build the frame of it, so that the coroplast will be secure.

Can someone please post (or direct me to) a picture that shows how the cage would be constructed, prior to putting the coroplast bed in it?

Thank you!!!!

Shahbazin

Cavy Slave
I don't have a photo of it when I was building it, but I just laid the 2 x 4 section on its side, & using the connectors (& lots of zip ties!) used 8 grids to make a flat floor, while also putting grids around the edges & in the middle to make the "leg" or support area.

poptart

Cavy Slave
Hey, I have a 2x4 with two grid high stands beneath it (I started with one, but with my dogs, we decided to go with two, works great and no having to bend over, haha)

For the main "2x4 box" you'll need 20 grids. 8 go on the bottom, 4 on each long side, and then 2 on each short side. For the stand, you'll have to really think how you want to put them, because that determines how many you'll need. I used three Walmart boxes (each have 17) for the whole cage, and had only three leftover.

I didn't take any pictures without the coro with the stand, but I have one without the stand:

and with the stand w/ coro:

(This was before I even got my piggy, so the interior was testing)

Oh, and I recommend putting some support in the middle as well.
Hope that helps you!

LillySadie

Cavy Slave
That helps a LOT...thank you!!!

4babyws

Cavy Slave
I bought those exact same grids and they are the right size. There are actually 23 grids and 26 connectors. It was the best price I found for them.

LillySadie

Cavy Slave
Okay, I officially HATE the connectors! I think I'm going to switch them all out for zip-ties. Now, where do I get zip ties?

Shahbazin

Cavy Slave
I got my zip ties at Home Depot. I like using them in conjunction with the connectors (the grids slipped out without zip ties, but the connectors helped keep things more rigid once the zips ties kept them in place).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.