Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water bottle

• Thread starter proudmomoftwins
  • Start date

proudmomoftwins

Cavy Slave
The water bottle has started leaking, I've tried every thing to make it stop. I went out today and bought a new water bottle and this one is leaking as well. I created a vacuum like it says... and I know one or two drops is normal while the vacuum is taking place. But even this new one is leaking like crazy and of course the bedding that I just changed today is now getting wet and nasty. Please tell me that there is a water bottle out there that doesn't leak or a solution to the water bottle that I have now. I remember when I was a child and had hamsters I never had any luck with water bottles... so frustrating.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions in advance.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I use a Lixit Flip Top water bottle and it has never leaked. Instead of a ball in the spout it has a little stick and lever. Before we bought it I would put a litter box under the water bottle to collect leaks and change it when needed.

cetd27

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem and I can't tell you how many water bottles I went through! The one I have now got really good reviews and it doesn't leak at all. Although I hate to support any of my local pet stores, I needed one that didn't leak and I odered it so I would't make a trip in the store. The design looks like it would leak more than others, but something about the upside down design works. I did try the one PrincessAngel suggested and that one is pretty good to.

Titus2Woman

Cavy Slave
I just had to buy two new ones today as both mine started leaking... I am trying to figure out what the best ones are...

pinky

Cavy Slave
Try flipping the rubber gasket. You can also fill it with water and squeeze the bottle as you twist the top back on. It forms more of a vacuum that way.

cetd27

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem and I can't tell you how many water bottles I went through! The one I have now got really good reviews and it doesn't leak at all. Although I hate to support any of my local pet stores, I needed one that didn't leak and I odered it so I would't make a trip in the store. The design looks like it would leak more than others, but something about the upside down design works. I did try the one PrincessAngel suggested and that one is pretty good to.

PETCO Universal Small Animal Water Bottle at PETCO

Sorry I just realized the link didn't attach, hope this works.

Titus2Woman

Cavy Slave
I buy these ones: Walmart.com: Super Pet Wide Fill Water Bottle: Other Pet Accessories (Small Animals)

I've had them for a couple months now and they're the only water bottle my girls will drink from. I tried about 4 others before this and I like them, no drips or anything either.

Those are totally the ones I have and they BOTH started leaking on the same day.

I did squeeze after filling and most days it works just fine but today they started leaking out the screw part when I squeezed and then when I stopped it was a steady dripping out the sipper part...

I am going to try to flip the rings around... I got these different ones but I don't like that my bottle brush does not fit in them...

I looked to see if they sold replacement rings at my pet store and they did not, I was hoping to just replace the rings... :(

pinky

Cavy Slave
Those are totally the ones I have and they BOTH started leaking on the same day.

I did squeeze after filling and most days it works just fine but today they started leaking out the screw part when I squeezed and then when I stopped it was a steady dripping out the sipper part...

I am going to try to flip the rings around... I got these different ones but I don't like that my bottle brush does not fit in them...

I looked to see if they sold replacement rings at my pet store and they did not, I was hoping to just replace the rings... :(

I only squeeze before I put the cap on and just hold the sides in, slightly. I don't squeeze any harder as I put the cap on and tighten it.

Pipe cleaners can be used to clean the sipper part.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
I found a bottle with a spring loaded ball in the nozzle and it works wonders. I had tried so many up until then and this one is not expensive. They are the ones that are blue with the drawings of animal heads on the top and bottom. They don't leak and you just have to make sure you clean that spring loaded ball when you was the bottle as they can get kinda gooey from the piggies.

Titus2Woman

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I put the new bottles in and this morning level was not down at all! Oreo did not drink all night!! :eek: I saw her go to the bottle this morning to get a drink and she put her mouth to it and then went away... :( She did not drink. I went to get my leaky one, flipped over the oring and then put it in there.. it is dripping more slowly but definitely still leaking... :mad:

Do pigs really reject certain bottles?

Titus2Woman

Cavy Slave
Well, now that I put old leaky back in Oreo has been drinking for 15 minutes nonstop... I feel so bad!

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
I had to teach mine to use their bottles so I am not sure. Do make sure they have a dish of water in their cage too then both angles are covered. I had to sit mine on my knee and actually show them how to get the water. There is a trick to filling them up which I had no idea about. You fill them to almost the very top and screw the lid on and flip them upside down fairly fast and hold them straight up. The air bubbles are supposed to come out of them and it cause the water to stay in but I did notice when I put them back in the cage the movement caused them to leak for a few minutes. I sure hope you find a solution soon. You could also maybe put a dish under the bottle to keep the cage from getting soaked and keep experimenting with those silly bottles. I have had such good luck with the one I have if you want me to send a pic later, let me know.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
He is okay now you will just have to keep shopping, I had the same trouble for weeks. Don't feel bad at least you are aware of what is happening and that's great.

Titus2Woman

Cavy Slave
I feel SO awful! I never meant to deprive her of water overnight! I just thought they would drink out of any metal thing in there with water!

NOW I am so worried about the baby I have in quarantine! I can't tell if she has had anything to drink since I brought her home yesterday! She ate the Kale I gave her... Oh man... I am so worried now!

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
You can force feed her a little water if you have a tiny syringe....or even try letting her lick water off your finger which might take a little time but I am sure you will figure out a way to get some water into her.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I put the new bottles in and this morning level was not down at all! Oreo did not drink all night!! :eek: I saw her go to the bottle this morning to get a drink and she put her mouth to it and then went away... :( She did not drink. I went to get my leaky one, flipped over the oring and then put it in there.. it is dripping more slowly but definitely still leaking... :mad:

Do pigs really reject certain bottles?

Mine will not drink from the spring loaded ones. I think they have to try too hard and just give up. I bought two of them and they wouldn't use either one. It could be because they are adults and are set in their ways.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I feel SO awful! I never meant to deprive her of water overnight! I just thought they would drink out of any metal thing in there with water!

NOW I am so worried about the baby I have in quarantine! I can't tell if she has had anything to drink since I brought her home yesterday! She ate the Kale I gave her... Oh man... I am so worried now!
Dear Titus2Woman,
I am a newbie, but someone wise on here told me once , that when you rinse your veggies and lettuces leave a little water on them and they can get water that way too. For in the beginning, I was concerned why my baby piggies were not drinking enough..and that was what I was told to do and it works well ! However, they do drink from the water bottle now.

Thank-fully it seems that I have been one of the lucky no-drip water bottles ones. I have read that many people have had this problem too with leaky bottles, and I don't know why ! Good luck finding a good one !

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
I had a problem with my water bottle leaking too until I made sure it's in the cage at a 90 degree angle and not a 45 degree angle. I didn't think that it would work, but it did. The water bottle barely leaks now, I'm sure that it will stop leaking completely now that I read about creating a vacuum.

proudmomoftwins

Cavy Slave
I found a bottle with a spring loaded ball in the nozzle and it works wonders. I had tried so many up until then and this one is not expensive. They are the ones that are blue with the drawings of animal heads on the top and bottom. They don't leak and you just have to make sure you clean that spring loaded ball when you was the bottle as they can get kinda gooey from the piggies.

This is the water bottle that I had and it started leaking something aweful. So good luck with it, I hope yours lasts longer then mine did.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.