PDA

View Full Version : Wheezing Wheezing or snoring?

FatPiggies303
01-30-11, 08:14 pm
Hello guys-My older pig, maybe about 4 years old, sounds like she is wheezing. At night when she is asleep it sounds like she is either wheezing or snoring. It does not seem like she is in any pain what so ever, and she is eating, pooping, and peeing fine. She is a perfectly normal happy pig. What could this be? She isn't sick. Her nose is not crusted up and there is no shortness in breath or sped-up breath. Could it just be snoring while she is asleep? Or do Guinea Pigs not sleep? It seems like they never do so this is very concerning to me. This doesn't seem very urgent so i haven't notified anyone about this. Help please? Has anyone else experienced this before in their pigs?

foggycreekcavy
01-30-11, 10:06 pm
Guinea pigs sleep on and off. They don't have large uninterrupted periods of sleep like we do. So if it seems she's doing it at night, it's most likely that she does it all the time but you only notice it at night.

Since guinea pigs don't snore, I think I would take her to the vet to see what's up. It could be the beginning of an upper respiratory infection.

Paula
01-30-11, 10:52 pm
Ditto, I'd take her in for a checkup. I've never known a piggy to snore, so I'd be more worried that it's a respiratory problem.

Pigs sleep with their eyes open, usually, so that's why it seems like they never sleep.

kathlaaron
01-31-11, 12:52 am
Ditto, I'd take her in for a checkup. I've never known a piggy to snore, so I'd be more worried that it's a respiratory problem.

Pigs sleep with their eyes open, usually, so that's why it seems like they never sleep.
Wow. Pigs sleep with their eyes open ? I did not know that...that is good to know !