Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids 13" 8X8 holes

gladysNvern

Cavy Slave
Hi, I know I've read several places to make sure the inner holes are 1.5 inches or less. At hobby lobby they have cubes that are 13 inches long, that have 8holes. This would equal about 1.625 inch holes each.
I know it's more thank 1.5, but not by much. Is this still okay?
Sorry if this has ever been answered before, I just joined today and didn't find this specific question asked.
Thank you for any thoughts and opinions.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
No, it's not okay. I'm of the opinion that even 1.5" is too big.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
They can't be larger than the 9 x 9 holes.

merrycat

Cavy Slave
Perhaps you could double up the grids, and off-set them so as to halve the size of the hole?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
If the grids are considerably cheap to where it would be a good deal to buy them and double over the grids you can do that. Otherwise just look for some 9x9's which I also agree are even too big at times, but they fulfill their purpose and build wonderful cages :D

gladysNvern

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will double up since there is no store around me that previous posts have mentioned. And I don't want to order online. Thanks again.

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will double up since there is no store around me that previous posts have mentioned. And I don't want to order online. Thanks again.

I don't know exactly where you live, but just to be sure you've tried everything else before you potentially spend extra money to double up,
Home Depot sells them most of the time, Superstore/Extra foods/anything from that chain usually sells them (Canada Only I believe.)
Places like Target and Wal-Mart, and Costco sell them as well as far as I know, and Rona I think sells them in some places too. And the ones I've seen in all of these places near me are 9x9, and come in packages ranging from $25-$30.

I know these aren't a guarantee, but it's worth it to check if you haven't, right?

poptart

Cavy Slave
I don't know exactly where you live, but just to be sure you've tried everything else before you potentially spend extra money to double up,
Home Depot sells them most of the time, Superstore/Extra foods/anything from that chain usually sells them (Canada Only I believe.)
Places like Target and Wal-Mart, and Costco sell them as well as far as I know, and Rona I think sells them in some places too. And the ones I've seen in all of these places near me are 9x9, and come in packages ranging from $25-$30.

I know these aren't a guarantee, but it's worth it to check if you haven't, right?

The Target ones are HUGE, which are bad since they are less than 9 across. Don't even bother looking there. :cool:

I'm not sure about Home Depot like this person said, but I never found anything like that when I went. It's probably different by store.

I had luck with Bed Bath & Beyond, however they said it was seasonal only (around September), but is available online as well.

Are you sure you don't have a Walmart? You can do free site to store shipping. :shhh:

Good luck anyways!

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
If she/he is talking about the hobby lobby grids like we have here, they would be a million times better off buying target grids and doubling those. The hobby lobby grid system we have here is almost 3 times the cost of a regular box of grids, if not more.

gladysNvern

Cavy Slave
Maybe I will check Target first. I live way out in the boonies so even Targer and Walmart are 30 minutes away. I did call our Walmart and they only are avail. online.
So far I did buy 2 "cubes" (4 panels in each box) from Hobby Lobby for 8.99 USD which I know is a lot for one.
The problem I have with online is that I am moving in 3 days (and need to change my address for shipping...) and I'm going to be traveling with their petstore cages until I can get all the pieces for a big C&C cage, which I wanted to get before we move (Thur/Friday).

I really appreciate all this advice though! I'm really enjoying being a member now and learning all these new things.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Well, the set I am talking about is like 5 cubes total but it is like $80 almost. I about died when I saw it. So I think we are talking about two different things.

Another thought is walmart does shipping site to store and those are part of that deal because I just looked it up. If they wouldn't do that for you in time for your move, maybe you could have it shipped to a store near where you are moving to?

If the hobby lobby ones work out for you, they you don't even need to mess with it but if you needed more that was just an idea I had.

Also, I think shipping site to store is free.

gladysNvern

Cavy Slave
I went to Target and found the grids. Each box comes with like 23 grids. Some grids are HUGE (5 holes across!!) and they have 8 grids that have 8 holes which I will double up and offset like someone suggested. I think that will work just fine. Obviously they come with connecters so I will use those, but I also got zip-ties to help hold them together when I am doubling them up.

The ones with 5 holes across might be good under the coroplast and bedding, or possible as a top??

I'm gonna play around with them for a little bit and see what I can come up with. My poor piggies are stuck in petstore cages this week until I move at the end of the week.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.