Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Qs

i_love_pigs

Cavy Slave
the two tier cage could be big enough for only one guinea pig.

hi i really want to get a guinea pig and my mum says its alright to get one but we dont know where to put a cage - we dont have that much space
wanted to get a two story cage and saw this at pets at home.
Rabbit 100 Two Tier Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage by Ferplast | Pets at Home
is that alright for two guinea pigs or is this better
Rabbit 120 Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage by Ferplast | Pets at Home
if not then there is a bigger one

ps im too lazy to make a C&C cage

thanks but what about the other one because there is a good one that looks a really good size for two but its difficult to place
Rabbit 140 Guinea Pig and Rabbit Cage by Ferplast | Pets at Home

Neither is big enough for 2 guinea pigs let alone one. If you are too lazy to provide your guinea pig with a suitable cage then maybe it would be best to pass on getting a guinea pig for now. Cleaning their cage and taking care of them can be a disgusting and lengthy procedure and has to be done frequently... These are not like cats or dogs where you can get by with 20 minutes a day of interaction... They need about 30-60 minutes a day of cleaning, 20-30 mins a day of preparing food, AND 1-2 HOURS of floor time and cuddles per day!!! Thats 4 1/2 hours of interaction and work A DAY!!! Not to mention cost. The average pair of guinea pig costs about $600 a year (USD) in GBP (since that is what the currency of the cages you posted) it would be almost 400 and thats IF they stay healthy. Vet bills can be crazy. Also PLEASE adopt a guinea pig from a rescue/shelter dont support the abuse from pet stores... There are quite a few British people on here that I'm sure would love to help you with getting supplies, finding a shelter and such... It just takes time to do things right.

its only the c&c cages that i dont want because i cant find anywhere near to me to get materials for. i will do the necessary things like you said to look after guinea pigs. anyway which do you mean arent big enough the two tier one, the 120 one or the 140 one

and i'm hopefully getting the guinea pigs from a local rescue and NOT the pet store

And also what type of bedding should I get. Is it softwood that is bad or hardwood; I can't remember.

neither of those cages are big enough for a single guinea pig let alone two. Have you actually looked around your area for coroplast? The grids are sold almost everywhere. It is good you will be getting your guinea pig from a rescue but you need to make sure you are providing adequate care which includes a proper cage. If you are getting two guinea pigs you really should build them a 2 by 4 cage. Bedding you can use aspen or kiln dried pine if you are looking to use a wood bedding.

just get a c&c cage off the website. you will be spending about the same amount of money.but before you get the guinea pigs do your research and make sure you know what your getting yourself into.

Guinea pigs dont need levels they need ground space to run. Those cages are wayy to small. If you are too lazy to provide your piggies with a proper cage maybe its best to not get them until you are ready?
Materials are relatively simple to find, you can buy all of it online even! Amazon has grids you can buy and depending on where you live the cages store has coroplast bases for sale,, otherwise coro can be found at any sign store or at least they can all order it for you. You can also use linoleum tiles, or wood boxes with shower liners as a waterproof base. There are other options is all I'm saying, but you wont find a petstore cage suitable for guinea pigs unfortunately.

I'm going to look in the Yellow Pages for a sign maker.

what size C&C do you reccomend then

hi i really want to get a guinea pig and my mum says its alright to get one but we dont know where to put a cage - we dont have that much space
wanted to get a two story cage and saw this at pets at home.
Rabbit 100 Two Tier Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage by Ferplast | Pets at Home
is that alright for two guinea pigs or is this better
Rabbit 120 Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage by Ferplast | Pets at Home
if not then there is a bigger one

ps im too lazy to make a C&C cage

I DIDN'T MEAN LAZY. I just ment that it's difficult for me to find places to buy it from and my parents don't want to have to get delivery from abroad.

Thats really great to hear you will be adopting! :) There are other people from other countries that are able to make a cage that is adequate. Coroplast in your neck of the woods is usually called Correx or corragated plastic board. You can also use cardboard covered in a tarp, shower curtain or anything that is going to be water proof. For grids you can buy them at various stores. Just be sure that the space between the squares is no bigger than 3.5cm. If you cannot find grids then you can just go to a building store and get wire shelving cut to size. Then you can get zip ties and zip them together at the corners. Look in alternative cage pictures for more ideas!!! Minimum cage size would be 78cm by 127cm MINIMUM bigger is better obviously but especially if you get two males as they are more territorial and need more space. I know things are tighter as far as housing in those countries so maybe you could put the cage on top of a long dresser or clear out some stuff to make room for it. I found with a few underbed storage containers that I could fit all my clothes from my dresser under my bed (or in your closet) and get rid of my dresser. Also putting up shelves near the ceiling around my room helped with my art supply storage and a flat screen tv that is also on the shelf so I could get rid of my book shelves. It really cleared up space for a large cage. It can be made possible, you just need to make the nessary arrangements. You would do the same for a human child, right? So why treat a pet any different? lol

You live in the UK?
Google Piggy Paradise, she makes complete C&C cage kits within the UK for a reasonable cost & ships all over the world. She's in the process of moving so there's not much in stock at the moment. But the basic cages are still in stock.

A 2x4 is the minimum for 2 pigs, a 2x5 preferable. If you're unable to provide proper living conditions you shouldn't get the animal at all.

Last edited:
Well thanks for the information. I would clear a lot of space out but my room isn't an option because it's packed as it is. My mum says I can't have it in the lounge, dining room or kitchen and we don't have any other room which could be possible except the guest room and that wouldn't be easy to do. We have a big double bed and that is used about three times a year but my parents won't get rid of it.

You live in the UK?
Google Piggy Paradise, she makes complete C&C cage kits within the UK for a reasonable cost & ships al over the world. She's in the process of moving so there's not much in stock at the moment. But the basic cages are still in stock.
Which size cage should I get though for two guinea pigs. Is it the 2x4 or 2x5

Which size cage should I get though for two guinea pigs. Is it the 2x4 or 2x5

The 2x4 is minimum for two female pigs, bigger is always better!
I have a 2x5 for my two girls & it's a bit too small for them, especially when in heat.

Well thats it. I don't have the room for a guinea pig cage and my mum says the 2x4 is too big. I can't get a piggy

I am sorry to hear that but its probably for the best for the guinea pig. Like I said if you really cared and were determined I'm sure you could find room! We have a small flat and I am very good at space management and clearing away the clutter. Maybe its time for a good spring cleaning and garage sale. Save up your money for their cage, supplies and vet costs until you can make the room or move out and get your own place... YouTube - Declutter with the Clutter Diet Online Home Organizing Program- Is It Right for You? There is a great company called clutter diet and she has a free youtube video on every Thursday. Maybe her videos will help you in organizing your place so you can make room...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.