Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty One brown and one pink ear?

poptart

Cavy Slave
I adopted an albino guinea pig (ALL white, red/pink eyes, with one ear brown and the other light color like her eyelids). I am wondering is this a health concern or is it just her coloring since she is albino?

She appears to be in great health, she eats lots and is very energetic, she has no eye discharge and her teeth are fine. Thank you

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
It's probably just how her coloring is. My piggy has half white face and that ear has a random black patch on it. I call it her cows ear lol :p

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes, it's normal. It's just depending on what the skin under the fur is like. My pig Gus had a half white, half black face and his ears were the same color of that side of the face. Nail color is the same way. Some have dark, some have light, some have a mix of each.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs cannot be albino. They are simply referred to as Pink-Eyed White's, or PEWs. The different colored ears is completely normal. My gray and white female has a gray ear on her gray side and a white ear on her white side. Also, my brown and white female is the same way.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
PEWS as I know them are completely white with pink, red or ruby eyes with no other coloring at all.

There is no such thing as an albino guinea pig as SFailed said.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I noticed your photo in your other thread. Poptart looks like she has Himalayan in her. They are mostly white with brown ears with brown snouts and feet and red eyes They are solid white at birth and darken later. She might have just inherited some of the Himalayan markings. How old is she? I had a Himalayan and her markings would get lighter and darker. Someone said it was a seasonal change due to temperature fluctuation but she was indoors all the time so I'm not sure why the markings changed.

Capron09

Cavy Slave
Mine has one brown ear and one white ear! We named him Nilla bean! For vanilla and a coco bean! lol nilla Bean

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.