PDA

View Full Version : URI/Upper Respiratory Infection I think he has a URI? ):

Llamasomething
01-28-11, 07:16 pm
First I'd like ot make sure everyone knows I'm getting to the vet ASAP, I'm just waiting for my mom to get home to drive me.

But the last few days Fonzie had seemed a little off, not as active as usual, not very interested in his food, but he would eat out of my hands and stuff so he was still eating. But today I came home and pulled him out of his little fleece cozy and his eyes were all crusty, and he won't drink, or even eat the veggies I coated in water for him. I picked him up and he was super shaky, and he's sneezing. ):

Am I correct to assume that this is a URI?
Should I take Stanley to the vet too to make sure he isn't catching it?

Paula
01-28-11, 07:21 pm
Yes, it sounds like a URI or possibly a lower respiratory infection (pneumonia).

I'd take both pigs to the vet.

Llamasomething
01-28-11, 07:45 pm
Pneumonia? that doesn't sound good either..

He hasn't sneezed or anything in awhile now, but he still wont eat anything I give him and is curled up int he corner. The earliest appointment at the only cavy-friendly vet I know of was for 2 1/2 hours from now, so I guess now I wait. :(

Kimberly713
01-28-11, 07:55 pm
Awh poor baby, yeah I'd definitely take both just in case! Even if he doesn't have it now he could get it while Fonzie is being treated. Good Luck, I wish you the best :)

Llamasomething
01-28-11, 08:08 pm
Awh poor baby, yeah I'd definitely take both just in case! Even if he doesn't have it now he could get it while Fonzie is being treated. Good Luck, I wish you the best :)
Thank you!

Paula
01-28-11, 09:26 pm
By the time a pig is unwilling to eat, s/he's actually quite ill and in pretty dire straits. Whether he's sneezing or not, he needs to be seen sooner rather than later. It's good that you're getting him in tonight.

Have you been weighing them weekly? If not, you really should start. Pigs are prey animals, and often their only symptom of illness is weight loss, but they are such small animals to begin with that by the time you are able to visually see the weight loss, they've been ill for quite some time.

Before you get him to the vet, keep him warm - give him a hot water bottle or snuggle safe or something similar. Do so after you bring him home, too. Animals that are as sick as you're describing often have a very hard time maintaining body temperature, so the warmer you can help keep them, the less their little body has to fight to regulate.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Llamasomething
01-28-11, 09:47 pm
By the time a pig is unwilling to eat, s/he's actually quite ill and in pretty dire straits. Whether he's sneezing or not, he needs to be seen sooner rather than later. It's good that you're getting him in tonight.

Have you been weighing them weekly? If not, you really should start. Pigs are prey animals, and often their only symptom of illness is weight loss, but they are such small animals to begin with that by the time you are able to visually see the weight loss, they've been ill for quite some time.

Before you get him to the vet, keep him warm - give him a hot water bottle or snuggle safe or something similar. Do so after you bring him home, too. Animals that are as sick as you're describing often have a very hard time maintaining body temperature, so the warmer you can help keep them, the less their little body has to fight to regulate.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

I know, I'm definitely taking him in no matter what. I leave in about 10 minutes for the appointment.

I guess the body heat thing would explain why he's done nothing but curl up under the fleece blanky they have in there for the past 2 days. I wish I'd noticed something before yesterday night, but I wasn't home much due to work and school.

I'll try to start weighing them weekly for sure after this.
I'll definitely keep updating.

What is the likelyhood that stanley will catch whatever fonzie has too? He is still eating loads, isn't sneezing, eyes are normal, and is actually popcorning a lot more than normal lately so he seems to be a perfectly happy piggy. is it a good sign that he isn't showing any sign of illness yet?

Llamasomething
01-28-11, 11:24 pm
We took him to the vet, he said it was most likely a bacterial something (I don't remember now) to do with his digestive system, and his molars were growing too long, so they took care of that, and gave me medicine for him. About 1 minute after giving him the medicine, he started convulsing, and was completely weak, and died shortly after.

We phoned the vet, and he said that it had nothing to do with the medicine or anything, and that Fonzie was probably a lot sicker than he originally thought him to be.

lissie
01-28-11, 11:43 pm
I am so sorry for your loss. What was the medicine that the vet prescribed?

MyLittlePiggy07
01-28-11, 11:49 pm
Oh my goodness. That is so sad. You did what you could. I'm so sorry for your loss.

foggycreekcavy
01-29-11, 03:04 am
I am sorry. It's possible that he was sick, and didn't feel like eating, which then caused his teeth to grow too long, which then made it hard to eat.

Can you tell us what the medication was? It is possible he was very sick, but it's also possible the medication had something to do with it.

I am glad you are going to be weighing your other pig weekly. It really is an important diagnostic tool.

Kimberly713
01-29-11, 08:36 am
Om my gosh. That is terrible. I am deeply sorry for your loss, and send the best wishes to you and stanley :)

linshad02
01-29-11, 08:43 am
Oh no! That is so awful. I am so sorry for your loss. Echoing what has been said, you did everything you could. The same exact thing happened to my Bella. Except she was acting fine with a bit of crust and no voice. An hour after getting her meds from the vet, she was gone.
If this helps, foggycreek and Lizzie, the vet gave my pig (typing it right from the paper) Trimethp/Sulfamthzl(Per ml)240mg/5ml
They gave me a refund on the meds after she died. I had only given her one dose. Hope this helps for future reference.

Rnd210
01-29-11, 11:39 am
If this helps, foggycreek and Lizzie, the vet gave my pig (typing it right from the paper) Trimethp/Sulfamthzl(Per ml)240mg/5ml

That is just Bactrim which should of been fine.

linshad02
01-29-11, 12:11 pm
Just for the record, auto-correct sucks. I typed out lissie. My iPad thinks it knows best. Sorry. :(

kaite13
01-29-11, 12:17 pm
OMG, that is awful! I am so sorry. I will pray for you and Stanley. RIP Fonzie.

louie_joey
01-29-11, 03:30 pm
How awful! I am so sorry for your loss! RIP Fonzie.

Llamasomething
01-29-11, 06:05 pm
They gave me Enrofloxacin and Metoclopramide for him, to try to get his digestive system to work properly again/just in case it was a bacterial infection.

The vet also noticed that Fonzie had cataracts in both eyes, so we're thinking Fonzie was a lot older than we were lead to beleive. We got him in late spring last year, and the foster care for him told us he was about a year old, so he wouldn't even be 2 years old yet going by that, but with cataracts in both eyes...
I think the stressful visit to the vet may have worn him out so much because he was old and already so sick.

Thanks for your support guys.

Onetwo
01-29-11, 06:06 pm
Awww lama I am so sorry. I remember when you first came on here with Fonzie. Piggie illnesses are so tough. I'm sorry for your loss...

Rnd210
01-29-11, 06:22 pm
Metoclopramide has a side affect of seisures/convulsions in older or susceptible guinea pigs, so that may have been what caused the seisure. The other med was just Baytril and shouldn't have caused any issue.

I am sorry for your loss.

Llamasomething
01-29-11, 06:37 pm
Metoclopramide has a side affect of seisures/convulsions in older or susceptible guinea pigs, so that may have been what caused the seisure. The other med was just Baytril and shouldn't have caused any issue.

I am sorry for your loss.

But the seizure wouldn't have been what caused his death though, would it?
He felt really limp and was pretty much dead weight right before the seizure when we moved him from his basket back into the cage.

I think it would just, suck to know that had there been another medication used maybe without those side effects he might still be alive.

Rnd210
01-29-11, 06:54 pm
But the seizure wouldn't have been what caused his death though, would it?
He felt really limp and was pretty much dead weight right before the seizure when we moved him from his basket back into the cage.

I think it would just, suck to know that had there been another medication used maybe without those side effects he might still be alive.

The seizure by itself could have been caused by the medicine, but no it should not have caused his death. He mostly died because he was sick and weak and just didn't have the strengh to fight anymore. I wouldn't say that the meds or the seizure caused his death.

Paula
01-30-11, 11:34 am
I just want to say that I think it's unlikely that the Reglan caused the seizure in the first place. Perhaps if the seizure had happened an hour later, or even several minutes, but not within just a few seconds of giving the initial dose. I think the more likely scenario is that this was a pig who had been very ill for several days and was probably in a state of shock, made worse probably by the trip to the vet and back and simply could not handle the medication on top of already being gravely ill.

I also have to question the vet's diagnosis of a digestive problem, because it seems to me that the digestive issue was secondary to the respiratory issue. Probably the pig had been ill for quite a while and had stopped eating because of it, which caused the digestive system to go into a sort of stasis. Ideally, you would have gotten the pig to the vet at the first sign of something amiss - ie, as soon as you noticed his lack of interest in food and had to start hand feeding.

I'm very sorry your little pig died. Please, keep an eye on your existing pig and please, please, please, start weighing weekly and recording the weight so you can keep a chronicle of loss and hopefully catch these types of things long before they exhibit symptoms.

Onetwo
01-30-11, 11:48 am
O yes for sure if your other guinea pig that passed had a URI (ie cold) it is highly contagious and if the cagemate loses interest in food for even one meal I would be hand feeding favorite veggies and critical care until he eats again. If he doesnt eat in a day AND exibits ANY respirorty issues (cough, runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes, noisy breathing ANYTHING) I would start administering the Baytril and a probiotic.

It is very important that guinea pigs not go without any kind of food for 8+ hours because if they dont have food in various stages of digestion then their digestive track dies/atrophies. Which is why it is so important to start hand feeding at the first sign of disinterest...

kathlaaron
02-01-11, 11:04 pm
I am SO VERY VERY SORRY for your sudden loss....For both you and Stanley....sending you warm embraces.....so sorry Llamasomething....ohhh....my heart breaks for both of you...

Llamasomething
02-01-11, 11:50 pm
I just want to say that I think it's unlikely that the Reglan caused the seizure in the first place. Perhaps if the seizure had happened an hour later, or even several minutes, but not within just a few seconds of giving the initial dose. I think the more likely scenario is that this was a pig who had been very ill for several days and was probably in a state of shock, made worse probably by the trip to the vet and back and simply could not handle the medication on top of already being gravely ill.

I also have to question the vet's diagnosis of a digestive problem, because it seems to me that the digestive issue was secondary to the respiratory issue. Probably the pig had been ill for quite a while and had stopped eating because of it, which caused the digestive system to go into a sort of stasis. Ideally, you would have gotten the pig to the vet at the first sign of something amiss - ie, as soon as you noticed his lack of interest in food and had to start hand feeding.

I'm very sorry your little pig died. Please, keep an eye on your existing pig and please, please, please, start weighing weekly and recording the weight so you can keep a chronicle of loss and hopefully catch these types of things long before they exhibit symptoms.

He never told me exaaactly what he was diagnosing it as, he just told me he was giving me a motility drug to try to get him eating, and in case of bacterial causes or anything else the Baytril. I've been reading a lot about bloat and it sounds like it could have been that as well, because Fonzie is always so fluffy and fat I would have never noticed any bloating without picking him up which he hates so I don't do. Either way he gave me baytril which would have helped with the URI anyways? No matter what the cause, I guess it really was too late.

I dd start weighing Stanley today, (He's 2lbs even, I think that's normal for a 1year old male right?) and have kept both of the meds that I got from the vet for future emergencies. (How long can I safely keep baytril and reglan? They're in a dark bag in a drawer in my desk right now)

I know I should have intervened at the first sign of food disinterest, but hindsight is always 20/20, sadly. I am keeping a much closer watch on Stanley, but so far he seems to be 100% fine, thankfully. Although i think he is starting to get a little lonely, but that will be taken care of soon enough.