Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Small animals vet in Sydney

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good small animals vet in Sydney, preferably to the south? I have a vet but I get the feeling he doesn't know a whole lot about guinea pigs, he's given me some strange advice before. One of my girls has developed a sneeze I'd like to have checked out, but don't want to go back to the vet that thinks guinea pigs never bite (he should meet my Petal!).

So does anyone know of a good guinea pig vet?

Thanks.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I would suggest finding an exotics vet. Exotics vets deal with exotics like guinea pigs, while small animal vets don't.

Good luck!

Banana

Cavy Slave
Hi krysanthemum,

I was just about to post the same question! I am exasperated with my vet. Although they are great with dogs and cats they are clueless about piggies and rabbits. I just took one of my pigs in because she had crusty eyes. i had an idea about why it could be after reading guinea lynx and consulting my peter gurney book but thought i should take her into a vet just in case. Well the vet told me everything i already knew, and didnt really find a reason. she looked in a book. She told me it was probably a vit c definciency, which is interesting because my girls get 200g of fresh vegies each every day and at least 60% of it is high in vit c. She also told me to feed her cabbage and orange because they are high in vit c (never mind the fact cabbage can produce Bloat and oranges cause sores!).
How exasperating!!!

I looked at the website of a bird and exotics vet in north sydney and i wasnt comfortable going there after i looked at the advice they gave about guinea pigs.

ill keep looking though. i was thinking sydney uni vet may have someone...what do you think?

I'm in southern sydney, Where in the south are you?

icesprite

Cavy Slave
This is late - but the Baulkham Hills Veterinary Hospital has a couple of vets who are specially trained in small animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.