Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C New cage planning - need advice

vsindorf

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I have a new piggie (single for now) who came in a very small cage so obviously I want her to have something nice and big to romp around in. But, I have limited space.

So here is my idea:
I want to do a C&C cage. So I'm thinking of doing a 2x3 cage with a partial top level.

My first problem is that I bought Target grids. I hadn't read enough yet, only enough to know that I was looking for grids and that I could find them at Target. Oops.
As it turns out (or so I think) 9 of them are regular and 11 of them have the extra wide holes. So I was thinking that if I made extra tall coroplast sides that Roxie wouldn't be in danger of getting stuck?

So the plan right now is to use 10 of the wide grids on the bottom level with the extra tall sides and then use 7 of the regular ones to line the top level and use the remainder on the floor of the top.

How does that sound? Would it be safe?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use the wrong grids where she could be. Some people use them for legs for the cage. Can you take the box back and get them at bed bath and beyond?

Also if you're planning on getting another guinea maybe you should make it big enough for two now instead of later?

Last edited:

vsindorf

Cavy Slave
really? even with tall sides so that she can't reach to get her head into the grid area?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
The grids need to be 9x9, if I am not mistaken your grids are 8x8 and 5x5 so even the ones with the smaller grids are the wrong size. Can you buy another box of the right grids and use your current box of grids to make a stand for the intendid cage.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Or you could also use them under the coroplast to stregthen the cage. Is the cage going to be on the floor or on legs. You think they can't get to them but some guineas can stretch or jump pretty well. It's better to be safe than sorry.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If your sides are 10", it's okay to use the wrong size grids.

I think my pigs are friendlier when they can look out of the cage.

vsindorf

Cavy Slave
what do you mean if my sides are 10"?

Do people normally have issues with pigs getting stuck/injured by larger than approved holes? I'm sorry, I'm new to this. But it just seems strange that using an 8x8 grid instead of a 9x9 grid makes the cage completely unsafe.

lissie

Cavy Slave
All the grids are same size when measured from outside. The space in 9x9 grids are about 1.5" wide. The space in 8x8 grids are a little wider (due to less number of squares in the grids). Guinea pigs can put their heads through the wider grids and get stuck.

If your pigs are babies, 9x9 grids are not safe either and you would need to make the Coroplast sides higher.

Here's more info about the unsafe grids
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...t-new-target-grids-dangerous-please-read.html

Last edited:

vsindorf

Cavy Slave
I have one large adult piggie, no babies.

I understand that maybe sizewise it's possible for a pig's head to get stuck in the holes...but does it actually happen? how likely is it?

of course I want my piggie to be safe and I won't make her an unsafe cage.

I'm just wondering why there's such a hard and fast 9x9 rule for adults?

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
I've only used 9x9 grids but when my pigs hear their food coming they stick their noses through the grids to "get at" the food. If I used grids with bigger holes, I would image that, yes, their heads' would most likely get stuck.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I've heard of guineas getting their heads stuck that's why you should use the 9 x 9. It would be awful if you used the larger ones and she got excited and got her head stuck.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
All in all id say the best idea would be to return those grids and get some 9x9s at bed bath and beyond or online from amazon, walmart, etc. You can make your coroplast sides10 inches high but then your pigs will be in a coroplast prison basically. As someone already said, yea they get their heads stuck it happens and its traumatizing for them and you. It's best to be safe and just return them or Make a stand Or a lid for the cage if you choose to.

vsindorf

Cavy Slave
Okay. Thank you for your posts. Please don't think that I'm trying to risk my baby's health or that I don't care, I just don't know much about this stuff yet.

I'll make sure to get the correct 9x9 grids. I hadn't thought about the "coroplast prison," but you're right...that wouldn't be much fun for piggie.

although (I've already decided to get the correct ones, I'm just thinking now), with the 5x5 grids, are the holes so big that their heads wouldn't get stuck, they'd just go in and out easily? or is there a risk of them trying to crawl through and getting stuck?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Okay. Thank you for your posts. Please don't think that I'm trying to risk my baby's health or that I don't care, I just don't know much about this stuff yet.

I'll make sure to get the correct 9x9 grids. I hadn't thought about the "coroplast prison," but you're right...that wouldn't be much fun for piggie.

although (I've already decided to get the correct ones, I'm just thinking now), with the 5x5 grids, are the holes so big that their heads wouldn't get stuck, they'd just go in and out easily? or is there a risk of them trying to crawl through and getting stuck?

I think there is a risk of them crawling through and getting the bellys stuck so either way it would be best not to use anywhere that the guinea pig would be able to access it.

lissie

Cavy Slave
They won't get stuck in the 5x5, but they can escape from the cage.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave

I understand that maybe sizewise it's possible for a pig's head to get stuck in the holes...but does it actually happen? how likely is it?

I had the same attitude as you and nearly lost my dear pig Laika, we had to cut her out of the grid to save her.
I'm glad you have decided to go the safe route.

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
Don't risk it, just return the wrong grids. It's not worth the risk.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave

We used to have this toy carrier. The holes in the front were roughly the size of the 8x8 grid spaces. One day during floortime my adult pig got spooked and ran to the nearest dark spot (the toy carrier) she got her head stuck and we had to cut her out and it was one of the scariest things of my life. So yes it does happen and if you aren't home when it does your pigs can die.

vsindorf

Cavy Slave
wow, scary. It must be terrible to have to cut your piggie out of a metal grid.

I'm absolutely going to get the 9x9 ones, no worries. But thank you all for caring enough to explain it and to make sure that I won't put my baby in harms way. :)

now...new question. with the 9x9 grids, is it acceptable for me to have shorter coroplast walls? I can get scrap pieces for free that are big enough to give me an inch or two on every side...would that be okay? I'm guessing that the tall walls are just to keep the mess of bedding and poo inside the cage and to make it so that you don't have as much of a mess on the actual grids. But if I use fleece is there any reason I should have taller walls? (keep in mind, no babies, just one full grown beauty)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.