Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Safety, do I need a top?

cetd27

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I am going to rework my cage this weekend because I want to expand for our new boy piggie we are adopting on Sunday. I am so worried that the piggies might jump out. Since their cage is off the floor, it would be a long way down. It would be so much eaiser to not have a top but I am really concerned. Please give me any advice on this. Can they jump out? Right now I have the middle grid that lifts up and attaches shut with connecters and on both sides of that grid the other two grids are connected and are tied down by velco staps . I hope you can see it in the picture. I made it like that because I thought it would be eaiser to slide the coro out from the front rather than pick it up from the top.

Thank you

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
You only need a lid if you have other animals, such as cats or dogs. Guinea pigs can't jump out.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
When I only had my original two boys, I would not have worried about this. However, once I got my third pig I had to make adjustments to my cage because he could have jumped out. He would hop ontop of a hidey and could easily put his front feet ontop of the grid from there, it would have been easy for him to make one more hop and have a fall.

How I fixed this (as I did not want to put a top to the cage) is moved the houses away from the edge and along the back wall. Then I secured them there with sticky velcro, since they can move the houses around. The ones on the end I removed and replaced with a fleece curtain.

You could also just leave cubes on top of where the houses are, if that would be easier.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
You only need a lid if you have other animals, such as cats or dogs. Guinea pigs can't jump out.

Oooh yes they can. But they only will if they jump out onto something of equal height. For example I had a box next to my cage when it was on the floor and Cinnamon jumped right up on it!! Now the cage is two grids high and I leave the doors open all the time they dont even put their paws up lol.

So unless you have any other animals that could get in there it is really not necessary to have a top on it :)

cetd27

Cavy Slave
I never really thought about making it two grids high. I like that idea! Thanks kimberly713. I could have the doors swing open on the side to access the kitchen part and for cleaning. I can't wait to get started! Oh, I don't have any other pets so I don't have to worry about that part.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I never really thought about making it two grids high. I like that idea! Thanks kimberly713. I could have the doors swing open on the side to access the kitchen part and for cleaning. I can't wait to get started! Oh, I don't have any other pets so I don't have to worry about that part.

Your cage is already 2 grids high, so you really don't need a top on it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Can they jump out, yes. Do they jump out, rarely. Occasionally, you will find an odd pig who will try to jump out. Generally it's only if you have two attached cages with boars on one side and sows on the other that you'd need a lid or at least a partial lid on the boar side to prevent them from going up and over when the sows go into heat. The other time you need a lid is if you have cats or dogs.

You don't need to make your cage 2 grids high. One grid high is sufficient.

Last edited:

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
If you have a pig that likes to jump on top of the houses, I would maybe think about putting a grip over where the houses are places. Other than that, piggies don't really have any inclination to jump out of their cage, especially if it is raised.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Great cage! I have a raised cage too, with an open top. As others have said, they CAN jump/climb out - I made the mistake of underestimating my 3.5 year-old pig and found him on top of his wooden hidey one day! Now the squares where his hideys and raised bed are have grids over the top of them, as Idramaxx suggests.

cetd27

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys, I'm still sitting on the floor in front of the cage thinking about what to do. I have another sheet of coro and before I cut, I want a plan. I just don't know yet.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Can they jump out, yes. Do they jump out, rarely. Occasionally, you will find an odd pig who will try to jump out. Generally it's only if you have two attached cages with boars on one side and sows on the other that you'd need a lid or at least a partial lid on the boar side to prevent them from going up and over when the sows go into heat. The other time you need a lid is if you have cats or dogs.

You don't need to make your cage 2 grids high. One grid high is sufficient.
Oh boy ! I just got my C&C cage yesterday..it's an OPEN, 2ft by 6ft with a 2ft by 2ft loft... I sure hope they can't jump out ! I have 2 baby girls..named Cuddles ( the boss), and Buttercup. They are only 2 weeks apart..but Buttercup is definately the "athletic" one...she is quite strong and I could totally seeing her trying. Cuddles is MUCH more mellow, and honestly, though she popcorns a lot, somehow, I am not really worried about her jumping. But Buttercup could be an olympian !:eek: They were having a coroplast 50% off sale so I suppose I could use that for a cover...if I need it....or do you think I should use something else ? I was also planning on setting up the cage in our living room, ( now that I have FINALLY quit smoking) and up off the floor, probably waist high...is that ok ? K:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.