Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Itching, dry skin (i think)

Xempt

Cavy Slave
Hey all, recently one of my guinea pigs has started to itch a lot, i thought it was because of the hay i was giving then and the fact that it was a little more course then the stuff i had been giving them, so i figured that is the reason he was becoming itchy. The second guinea pig does not itch as much as the first. I ended up giving both of them baths and found that the first one had a little scab on his butt in one of the places that he itches, and that there were some areas where his skin was flaked and dried out.

I cleaned their cage before their baths and didnt put anymore of the course hay in there (which they werent happy about) but from what i can tell he is still itching. I was thinking it might have something to do with the heat and that i should get a humidifier for the room.

If it was mites, wouldnt both of them have it as opposed to just 1?

Xempt

Cavy Slave
hmm ok, yea they definitely dont have that... maybe it is just dry skin from the heat in the room. either way they are going for a check up tomorrow morning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.