Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bath tub?

katebkate

Cavy Slave
Ok so I've decided (or prehaps a better word is forced) to get this cage (broken link removed). My guinea pigs are outdoors at the moment and my parents have let me bring them in. They don't want any kind of home made cage, and that cage is about as big as they're willing to go. I'm working on them, but I just want my pigs inside, as it'll take a while for me to convince them that they need space. (Doesn't help that 'everyone' has small cages for their pigs and they do just 'fine').

So I need lots of floortime for them. The problem? My mum hates the idea of them being on the floor... Lovely. I will have an outdoor run that they will use a lot. And somebody said that maybe while I wasn't able to supervise them (like when I'm at school) that I could put them in the bath tub? My parents shouldn't mind, as they have an ensuite, as do my grandparents, so the main bathroom is basically mine (and shared when people visit).

Would a bath be an ok place to have them unsupervised? What should I have on the bottom, do I have to have sheets or any material? (my mother doesn't like the idea of using sheets, or even cuddle cups with guinea pigs. I swear that woman...). Would newspaper lining the bottom be a good enough surface?

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
I would never leave them unsupervised there are so many things that could happen. :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
That cage only meets the absolute minimum measurements for ONE guinea pig, make sure your mother is really aware of this. And no, leaving them in a cold bathtub is NOT recommended, and newspaper is not absorbant enough. Nor is the size of the bathtub large enough to be counted as floortime.

I don't know your age, but if you could make your own money you could both buy your fleece & towels & go to a local laundromat if you have one. And if possible even save up to your own laundry machine for your bathroom. And as it sounds like you have enough room, I really would bring up the C&C option again, and show them the cage kits available for puchase, and make your own money to pay for it is my advice. A big cage will also be cheaper in the long run as it doesn't need to be cleaned more than once a week.

Healthy pigs also don't get sick as often & the vet bills will be less in the long run. Educate your mother, just because other people are doing it doesn't mean it's right. Most of history proves this. My parents were also strongly against a C&C cage & the use of fleece, but after scraping together enough money I bought it myself & put it in my own room, & wash all guinea pig related towels & fleeces & pay for it on a tight budget.

Ask them why proper guinea pig care is not allowed? Why is a proper sized guinea pig cage so terrible? Would they like to be left outside all year round with nothing more than a thin pyjamas? In a cage the size of a shoebox? I don't get people like this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.