Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do I get my two precious piggies to eat their pellets ?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello there everyone ! I am a first time owner of two precious baby girl piggies, Cuddles and Buttercup. I got Cuddles first, on Dec.7th, when she was 6 weeks old. Originally, I had only planned on getting one piggie..but soon quickly learned that since they are highly social animals, that getting her a buddy or friend was crucial to her well being and happiness. SO.. on Dec 20th, I purchased another female ( 6 weeks old ) named Buttercup. They get along very well and are both doing great ! ( However, Buttercup did come down with an ear infection a few weeks ago, so we took her to a really nice vet who gave us medicine for her, and now my baby is all better !) I am so in love with my new piggies and am trying my very best to do well by them. However, I do have a question. I have done loads of research, and it is my understanding that pellets are suppose to be 90% of their dietary needs.....but my girls hardly eat any of their pellets !! Funny..but, I almost get the "feeling" that they are just waiting for the good stuff, you know ?! I am now thinking I should cut back a bit on their veggies and fruits....hoping that this will encourage them to eat more of their ( boring, I suppose..) pellets. Any thoughts or ideas anyone ? :)

Ammy&Stevie

Cavy Slave
Depending on what food you are using, they may not like it. Some foods aren't good for piggies at all. What kind of pellet are you feeding them?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the site.
Are you feeding hay? Their diet is more like 70% hay, 20% veggies, 10% pellets.
What brand of pellets are you feeding them? We recommend Kleenmama, Oxbow and Sweet Meadow.
They need unlimited grass hay at all times.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh, I didn't expect a reply so soon..how wonderful, a big thanks to you !!! My husband is running upstairs now to see...but I believe it is The Forti-Diet Pro health with DHA and Omega-3 pellets...yes..that is what we use.

lissie

Cavy Slave

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Those pellets are not good. You should feed (broken link removed) or oxbow or (broken link removed)

and you should feed unlimited timothy hay. Are you feeding any hay?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Thanks for info...I give them timothy hay 24/7 and probably 50% veggies....so I guess I need to cut back on the veggies...it's honestly been hard to know just how much to give them this or that...but I am learning...and the links here on veggie charts that someone posted have been helpful..but since I am not too good on percentages..it's trial and error still for me. I have ALSO just recently learned that they should only be given fruits twice a week ( Big oops on my part, I was giving them fruits daily !!) so I am doing so now. I have done SO much research..but it takes time to sift through all the misinformation...ya know ?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Well, you have come to the right place for the right information.

They should get 1 cup of fresh veggies a day per pig split in to 2 meals. Starting with the daily staples 2 lettuces (no iceburg), Cilantro, bell peppers, and zuchinni. Once they're eating those you should add in rotating veggies or other good daily veggies for more variety.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hmmmm...so, switch to kleenmama, oxbow or sweetmeadow then, thanks a bunch ! Does Petco carry these brands do you know ? I hope so....would be much too expensive I would think to order online .

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Hmmmm...so, switch to kleenmama, oxbow or sweetmeadow then, thanks a bunch ! Does Petco carry these brands do you know ? I hope so....would be much too expensive I would think to order online .

Petco, carries Oxbow, the other two brands would have to be ordered online.

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
Petco doesn't carry anything of quality nutritional value. If you have a Pet Supplies Plus by you, you may be able to find oxbow supplies. The store in my area just began carrying it. However, they are a small chain so they may not exist by you. If not you can always order food and hay online! Congratulations on getting your babies!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Depends on your location. Kleenmama pellets are actually cheaper per pound for me compared to Oxbow.

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
Petco, carries Oxbow, the other two brands would have to be ordered online.

Really? I've never seen it in any of my local Petcos! Hmmm how curious...

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
yes...I have been giving them 1 cup each of lettuces ( romaine, green leaf, parsley ) and 1/2 cup each of green, yellow sometimes red--bell peppers, and then rotate with a few varied veggies like cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, summer squash ( the yellow type zucchini). All of these foods are washed, patted dry, seeded if needed, and julienned.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
oh, and I give them meals in the morning and at night...approximately by 8:00am, and then at approximately at 6:00pm..I am trying to be more consistent these days..for a week or so I wasn't feeling so good, so I only managed one big meal a day..but will be much more dilligent about feeding them twice daily ( and smaller amounts ).

Rnd210

Cavy Slave

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
All of mine love grape or cherry tomatoes every day. I always add those to the daily mix.

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave

Welcome to the forum! Petco's in my area don't carry Oxbow. I am sure you will find some at PetsMart though! It about $6 for a small bag of Oxbow Western Timothy Hay. I am not sure how much is in there, but it last my single pig a week or two! PetsMart also has Oxbow pellets! You would either want Oxbow Cavy Performance (for guinea pigs 6 months or younger) or Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (for adult pigs)!

Good luck with your new guinea pigs!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
On this site, it says somewhere that pellets should be limited to 1/8 to 1/4 cup per day per adult pig. (for babies, I don't know. Pregnant females get unlimited pellets.) Good fresh green hay is by far the main part of their diet so give them plenty. Toss any hay that they soil and put new handfuls into their racks and litterboxes very often. Babies can eat alfalfa hay as well as timothy hay, but adults should have only timothy hay. 1/8 green pepper should be fed daily per pig. They must eat that for vitamin C. The red pepper is too sweet for them. They should not develop a sweet tooth. Lettuce (all varieties but iceberg) and cilantro are the staple greens for them.
Do not put any vitamin C drops in their water, or give them any mineral or salt licks.
Welcome to you and we look forward to pigtures!

lissie

Cavy Slave
All of these foods are washed, patted dry, seeded if needed, and julienned.

Wow! That sounds so fancy! I give my pigs the whole leaf. Never julienned. :)

Piggies under 6 months can have unlimited pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.