Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Switched to C&C need help

ddionne1129

Cavy Slave
Hello, my name is Danielle and I am the proud mommy of two little girls, Roxy and Hurley. They are both sisters and are still small but I am not sure of their age. I originally had only purchased Roxy but a week later her sister Hurley was still around so I added the second one. I had a store bought cage but after doing some research knew that I should switch. Roxy had been in the store cage for 2 weeks and Hurley only 1. I built a C&C cage that is 3x2 since they are both still small. It is open on the top but they have several hidey things inside. I just switched cages last night and they never leave their igloo. Before they would run around and hang out but now they seem even more scared. I was wondering if anyone else had this same problem when switching. Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
They are probably just scared right now, give them some time to get used to their new home. They will explore when they are ready to as their curiosity will get the better of them.

jenga122

Cavy Slave
Give them a little time to get over the shock of the change. Ours were nervous and shy when we first re did their cage and changed everything but they have warmed up now. I tend to think of it like a kid going to a new school. Once their comfort level rises, they will become more social. Be patient, it will happen.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Mine did that too for about 2 weeks they wouldn't run around or go out very much. It is because of all the new space, they feel insecure going outside of their little igloos. They will warm up eventually and be scampering about all the time. :)

Now when I am changing the girls' cage they are all up in my business as if asking 'Hey mom, whatcha doin?' chewing on things I'm using and running away when i touch them and coming right back to be nosey, its cute.

ddionne1129

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I feel much better, they are so adorable but I am not very used to small animals. I love just sitting and reading my kindle with them on my lap! They are proving to be great company with my fiance gone for work!

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
One thing I do want to add is that a 2x3 is a rather small size for two pigs to share. If it is possible, you should try to expand the cage to at least a 2x4 or larger. They will grow, and they may feel cramped if you don't expand. Just a heads-up.

cam767

Cavy Slave
Just keep talking to them as normal and they will feel comfortable soon enough. Before you know it they will be doing their zoomies (you may need more room for them to run laps soon) and doing little popcorns all over the place. They just need to warm up to their new digs.
Do you have pics of the girls? We would love to see. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.