Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Routine Dri Tail (Neomycin) for Cavies?

LDFine

Cavy Slave
Today when I picked up my two 6 week old piggies - An American Short Hair and American White Crested, I was given Dri Tail Oral Neomycin and was told to add "a couple of capfuls" to their 8 oz. water bottle as this was their routine practice for all guinea pigs they sent home with new owners to avoid diarrhea due to stress from relocating to a new environment. I am to continue it for 5 days. They worried me saying I really needed to do this since if they got diarrhea that was "pretty much it". I understand the seriousness of diarrhea in cavies, but is this really truly necessary to start them off so young on a routine antibiotic? I did go ahead and follow directions on the back of the bottle which is 3 tsp. of the Dri Tail liquid in 4 oz. water bottle with water. Seems that is a haphazard way to get medicated. I don't want to do anything against what might be a preventative, but is this a common practice? Do you feel it is really called for?

They are healthy, active, vocal and eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally. I have had them for about 10 hours now.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Dump the water now and discontinue the dri-tail. They don't need it, it's totally unnecessary and unneeded. Guinea pigs don't die from normal diarrhea.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Agreed. Don't use it.

None of my adopters have ever notified me that their guinea pigs got diarrhea after getting them in their new homes.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site! I'm in Texas, too :).

It seems a little worrying to me that this is the advice that is being given out by this place. Could it be harmful, Ly? (anyone?)

Obviously, diarrhea is serious in gps, but I haven't heard of it being stress-induced. Certainly my pigs didn't get it when I first brought them home.

LDFine

Cavy Slave
Dump the water now and discontinue the dri-tail. They don't need it, it's totally unnecessary and unneeded. Guinea pigs don't die from normal diarrhea.

Thank you so much! They have fresh water now and hopefully no harm done. I really appreciate it!

Welcome to the site! I'm in Texas, too :).

It seems a little worrying to me that this is the advice that is being given out by this place. Could it be harmful, Ly? (anyone?)

Obviously, diarrhea is serious in gps, but I haven't heard of it being stress-induced. Certainly my pigs didn't get it when I first brought them home.

Thank you for the welcome! I tended to believe them at first because I knew someone who had gotten a young guinea pig from a Petsmart in McKinney, Texas and they said they didn't notice diarrhea until they got it home that evening and then the next morning they found it had died with a considerable amount of green diarrhea that had been expelled where it lay. I thought that sounded like it might have had an infection, but when I got my guinea pigs and the salesperson told me I needed the Dri Tail and why, it was kind of making sense at first. I am so glad I asked you guys!

Agreed. Don't use it.

None of my adopters have ever notified me that their guinea pigs got diarrhea after getting them in their new homes.

Thank you! I don't like giving routine antibiotics like that anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.