Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Dry heaving?

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
I just walked over to visit Fonzie and Stanley, and Fonzie was in the center of the cage, doing something that looks like dry heaving/a cat that's about to cough up a hairball, but without the noise. It was almost violent with the body jerking, and it confused me because I know guinea pigs cannot throw up? There was no coughing at all, no choking noises like he sometimes gets if he's eaten too fast or choked on some water.

I freaked out for a second, and then went to pet him to see if he was okay (He's usually a bit skittish, if he stood there and let me pet him I would have been worried) But he stopped the heaving- thing immediately and ran away. I fed him a piece of hay and he drank some water, and it hasn't happened since, but I looked it up and the only explanation I could find was "Heaving Hiccups" which sound pretty harmless, just some water going down the wrong way probably?

He's been eating normally, and he was just running around yesterday fine (I haven't let them out for floor time yet today) so other than this, he seems pretty fine..

Should I be worried about him?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
He might have gotten a piece of hay stuck or something. Mine have done this before.

Guinea pigs can't throw up as they don't have a gag reflex.

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
I know they can't throw up, that's why I was so concerned that he looked like he was about to.

I just wanted to make sure it's nothing I should be concerned about past the point of concern for him choking.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I worry when one of mine do that. The youngest Spike did that a little while ago. It looked like he was going to throw up. Did it about 3 or 4 times then went back to eating.
I assume he was just eating too fast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.