PDA

View Full Version : Genitals What is this?

amcashes
01-04-11, 08:57 am
I took Amy to the vet the other day and after we got out of the vet's office. Amy peed like crazy. (With in an hour she peed 6 times.) I also noticed some clear jelly like stuff too. It didn't smell but none of my other girls have had this that I have noticed. What is going on?

amcashes
01-04-11, 10:06 am
I also want to let you know that she has been drinking a lot and she is not as active as she used to be. Her food intake is a bit more than normal too.

Ly&Pigs
01-04-11, 11:04 am
The jelly like stuff sounds like part of the mucus plug that did not dissolve. Normal.

amcashes
01-04-11, 11:09 am
So she is pregnant? The only time she was with a male was before I got her and I have had her for about a month and a half.

Rnd210
01-04-11, 12:08 pm
How old was she when you got her?

Depending on her age at the time it could be possible.

amcashes
01-04-11, 12:29 pm
I know it is possible because she was 5 weeks I got her and she was in with her mom and the male for roughly a week before I got her.

Rnd210
01-04-11, 12:46 pm
It is possible with her age but I think the mucus plug that Ly was refering too, someone correct me if I am wrong, is this, female guinea pigs form a mucus plug like seal that they shed every 18-20 days and this usually disolves and we don't see it but you will see it if it does not disolve. It is at during this time, since it is open that she can become pregnant.

So I don't think she is pregnant, but you said you took her to the vet, did he mention anything about a pregnancy?

amcashes
01-04-11, 12:52 pm
They said that they can not confirm or deny that she is pregnant. All they did was weigh her, take her temperature, listen to her heart and feel her belly for abnormalities. All the vet said was to watch Amy she said it could be stages of pregnancy or mucus from when Amy poops. But Amy did not poop. I think I am going to have to change her vet again.

Rnd210
01-04-11, 01:09 pm
You said you have had now for about a month in a half right?

When you pick her up or put hands around her belly do you feel any movement of lumps. Is she more paired shaped when looking from above?

amcashes
01-04-11, 01:15 pm
Here are 2 links to her photos
Amy After Being Weighed - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/22950/ppuser/16838)
Amy at the computer with me - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/22955/ppuser/16838)

I can feel lump right above her hind legs but there is little to no movement.But i am not sure if that is her breathing or not.

Rnd210
01-04-11, 01:31 pm
You may have to wait another week to see if she is pregnant?

She is young so it is hard to tell for sure with those pictures.

amcashes
01-04-11, 01:36 pm
Ok thank you so much!!

Ly&Pigs
01-04-11, 01:53 pm
but I think the mucus plug that Ly was refering too, someone correct me if I am wrong, is this, female guinea pigs form a mucus plug like seal that they shed every 18-20 days and this usually disolves and we don't see it but you will see it if it does not disolve.Yes, this is what I am referring to but sows go into heat every 16 days. Most of the time you will never see any or all of a mucus plug because it dissolves but once in a great while part or all may not and it is discharged. They only shed this plug when they go into heat. Once they go out of heat (heat only lasts for a few hours to a day), then a new mucus plug is formed until the next time a sow goes into heat. If it's the mucus plug, it's a good sign she's not pregnant. Sows don't have heat cycles if they are pregnant.

amcashes
01-04-11, 08:50 pm
Thank you so much Ly