Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection URI and Bordetella diagnosis

guinea808

Cavy Slave
Hi,

One of our 2 piggies (both female and approximately 8 weeks old) recently started sneezing a lot and her left eye was partially closed. We took her to a vet and they said she had an upper respiratory and eye infection. They put her on 0.2 ML of Baytril daily for 10 days along with an eye drop (Ofloxacin) 3 times a day for a week.

BTW: I have read several posts that Baytril should not be given to small piggies. I did question the vet about this but he said because it is such a low dose, and only for 10 days it should not be harmful.

After 2 days she was better and after 4 days she was doing great. Her eye was fully opened and no more sneezing. But on the morning of day 5 she was in the corner of her 2x4 c&c having a hard time breathing and a crackling sound was omitting from her at every breath.

A second trip to the vet and her new diagnosis is Bordetella (also know as kennel cough). The vet is keeping her for 1-2 days while he periodically gives her oxygen as well as Doxycycline (not sure of ML yet).

The vet is not an "exotic" vet, but they are the only vet within about a 50 mile radius of us and they do frequently treats cavies.

Needless to say, this is not how we (or our piggie) wanted to start the new year. I hope all turns out ok. But I would like to ask you all a few questions since most of you are way more experienced with cavy health than my wife and I are.

#1. Has anyone ever heard of Petsmart footing the bill for selling a sick animal? (We have only had them for 13 days). Were already in excess of $300.00 in vet fees.

#2. Should we treat the other cavy (who has no symptoms of a URI or Bordetella) just to be safe? They live in the same cage and share hide-a-ways, food bowls, water bottles etc...

#3. Although I have found several posts on URI's, I can't seem to find much on Bordetella. Has anyone been successful in curing their cavy of this?

#4. Do young cavies frequently have these kinds of health concerns or did we buy an unusually unhealthy pet?

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies!

You should go back to Petsmart and take everything from the vet with you, but I think they will want to keep the pig and treat it themselves. Usually when you get an animal from a petstore they are sick.

I don't think guineas can get kennel cough. Is she coughing? They can get a URI. Upper Respitory(sp sorry I'm tired) Infection.

I don't think they will cover your vet bills. They will probably tell you that you should have brought her back so their vet could have treated her. They might offer to refund your money for her and take her back. What you've gone through is a sad example of what often happens with pet store pets.

I don't think guineas can get kennel cough. Is she coughing? They can get a URI. Upper Respitory(sp sorry I'm tired) Infection.

Hi Deb's4Pigs,

Yes, she was coughing badly, almost to the point it sounded like she was choking. From the searching I have done here and elsewhere, cavies can indeed get "kennel cough".

I don't think they will cover your vet bills. They will probably tell you that you should have brought her back so their vet could have treated her. They might offer to refund your money for her and take her back. What you've gone through is a sad example of what often happens with pet store pets.

Hi Pinky,

I called Petsmart before they closed tonight and thats exactly what they said. I could return her for a refund, or for another. If I returned her, they could have her treated by their vet next week and they would call me when she's "better" (in a week or so). I don't think she would have made it through the weekend had I gone that route and I would never want to return her.

Yes, they can get bordetella bronchiseptica.It is the most common bacteria causing respiratory disease in guinea pigs. It results in abnormal respiratory sounds, sneezing, a nasal discharge, inappetance, depression, weight loss and in severe cases death. I've been a vet tech for 17 yrs and have seen it. Even in my own b/c we did cultures and etc.
That has been Rogaine's problem.

Can they catch it from dogs and give it to them? Is it a different virus?

You have to make a big stink with the manager and corporate offices. They usually pay to shut you up but you have to make noise.

If she had bordatella she would be really ill. It may be she has a really bad uri and it developed into pneumonia but given the conditions of the breeding mill the pet stores use, it may be probable. But it is highly contagious and you'd think they would have had a noticable outbreak.

I'll be praying that your piggy gets better soon!

When I got my Princeton from a Petco, he turned out to have lice as well as what the vet thought was pneumonia. I went back to the store and they told me exactly what they told you, that I would return him. I went nuts! I wound up screaming at 2 employees and the manager about bonding with him and the emotional stress of just having lost one pig that I also got there. They wound up covering about 75% of the vet costs. Go make a scene! It may work. After the experiences I have had with pet stores however I will be adopting/rescuing all my future piggies.

Yeah go make a scene but never ever bring the pig back! Poor little piggy. Hope he'll go through!

If I returned her, they could have her treated by their vet next week and they would call me when she's "better" (in a week or so). I don't think she would have made it through the weekend had I gone that route and I would never want to return her.

You did the right thing by taking her to the vet yourself. If you returned her, they could have put her down. You might want to take your other one to the vet too. Are they separated? If the other one hasn't got sick, you might want to keep them separated (in a different room) until she gets better.

Re: Sneezing and Raspy Breathing

Hi, I have three guinea pigs, i recently took in one from a friend where he was not looked after. The are around 9 months old. One of my original two was bought from Pets at Home (England). I got him in April along with the other one. He started sneezes and having raspy breathing around about June and is quite skinny. I took him to a vet a while back. The vet checked him and the other original and said to change the bedding to just newspaper because he said he may have hay fever. Nothing changed and i took him back. The vet gave him some medicine(I cant remember the name), 0.1ml for 10 days. It hasn't seemed to work. The sneezing isn't as common now but he is still the same. Should I be concerned? My other two guinea pigs are quite plump but he is skinny.
Could anyone help?

Can you do fleece over the newspaper? Do you give him hay?

I have gone back to newspaper and then guinea pig bedding over that. I also put hay on a rack in there aswell.

Some people say that they shouldn't be outside and that could be affecting him. However they seem fine with being outside. Should I take him back to the vet, or get the petshop to have a look at him, I don't think they have a vet there though.

I have gone back to newspaper and then guinea pig bedding over that. I also put hay on a rack in there aswell.

Some people say that they shouldn't be outside and that could be affecting him. However they seem fine with being outside. Should I take him back to the vet, or get the petshop to have a look at him, I don't think they have a vet there though.

I wouldn't keep guinea pigs outside. Aside from being exposed to the elements, they are at risk from predators.

I'll be praying that your piggy gets better soon!

Hi Tmmgrl96,

Roo came home yesterday afternoon and is doing much better. Thank you for your prayers!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.