Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C First C&C Cage!

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
I just want to share this with you all... (pictures below) Okay, so today I finished making my first C&C cage (with the help of my wonderful boyfriend that listened to all of my wishes & wants while creating it). My guinea pig has been growing like crazy & has outgrown his store cage so I upgraded him by about 2 1/2 times bigger!! I think the cage I made is 52X30. Instead of putting the edges of coroplast on the outside of the cubes, I put the cubes on the inside of the coroplast. It worked out better for me this way with using the fleece & mattress pad. The cubes are sturdy enough too where they want fall apart. My boyfriend made a litter box so I'm praying & crossing my fingers that Cadbury will become trained & use his box rather than his fleece. He has a box for his hay, a fake trunk tunnel, ping pong balls, & a chew toy. Hopefully more toys to come soon! When I first put him in his cage, he didn't know what to do with himself. He went straight for the veggies & food. After, he sniffed around & explored. He loves fleece (notice it's of trees & bears--totally Minnesotan). I can already tell that he loves it because he was chirping, wheeking, & popcorning. SO CUTE!! :D Now he's passed out in his igloo. I think he is overwhelmed with his new cage! I'm so happy that I'm able to give him a bigger home & get him out of the small cage!!

CIMG1157.jpg

CIMG1160.jpg

Trying out his bathroom!

aly8084

Cavy Slave
Your pig is adorable. :) great job on the cage it looks so good. Also, that is so much space for one pig he must be so happy. Just wondering how did you get your pig to be potty trained? and is the potty made out of coroplast? well it looks great good job!!

Kiwi2

Cavy Slave
Great Cage I bet he is really, really happy!=]

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Your pig is adorable. :) great job on the cage it looks so good. Also, that is so much space for one pig he must be so happy. Just wondering how did you get your pig to be potty trained? and is the potty made out of coroplast? well it looks great good job!!

Awww, thanks for the compliments!! =] I made the cage extra big just in case I decide to get another piggy. I have been debating it now for a few weeks. Well, he's not exactly potty trained. It's his first night in the new cage so I guess I'll find out tomorrow how trained he is. Normally, he would go to one corner in his cage & go to the bathroom only there. What I did was take some of his droppings from his old cage & put them in his new litter box so he gets a clue to go there. I'm assuming he will have some accidents, but if he goes to the bathroom the majority of the time in the box then it will be a success! Yes, the litter box is made out of coroplast. My boyfriend made it!

andrea90

Cavy Slave
It looks really good! I love your choice in fleece. Your cavy is very cute!

my15thlittlepig

Cavy Slave
That cage is amazing! :)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Great job with the cage! I bet he would enjoy a little bit more hay.

Are those dried colored bits in the food dish?

my15thlittlepig

Cavy Slave
Great job with the cage! I bet he would enjoy a little bit more hay.

Are those dried colored bits in the food dish?

Probably doesnt eat that much hay....

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I bet he would eat lots of it if there was a bunch.

Are you limiting pellets to a 1/8 cup. They will eat more hay once the pellets are finished as pellets are the least of the diet.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
I give him fresh hay throughout the day... usually a handful three times a day. I hate leaving a huge pile because half the time he doesn't eat it. Those colored bits are fruits & veggies. He always picks those out & doesn't eat much of his pellets.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please take the edible log out of your cage. They are bad news for pigs. They are made of alfalfa and sugar basically.

Are the fruits and veggies dried stuff in a pellet mix or are they fresh? If they are dried bits then you need a better food. Pellet mixes are bad for pigs. High quality plain pellets only.

Pigs need access to hay 24/7 and not just 3 times a day. It shouldn't matter that much if he gets a bit on the fleece. Hay is the most important thing in the diet and he needs unlimited access to it.

my15thlittlepig

Cavy Slave
Please take the edible log out of your cage. They are bad news for pigs. They are made of alfalfa and sugar basically.

Are the fruits and veggies dried stuff in a pellet mix or are they fresh? If they are dried bits then you need a better food. Pellet mixes are bad for pigs. High quality plain pellets only.

Pigs need access to hay 24/7 and not just 3 times a day. It shouldn't matter that much if he gets a bit on the fleece. Hay is the most important thing in the diet and he needs unlimited access to it.

Im pretty sure that the edible log is not bad for a pig, my 15 guinea pigs all have one and have never died or been hurt by one. They even have pictures of guinea pigs on them when you buy them. And high quality plain pellets only???? Wow you are a total sucker. Please do not believe everything you read on the internet

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave

Geez, you just don't have anything good to say...
My pig has access to hay 24/7... like I mentioned earlier he never eats all of it & I give him 3 handfuls a day that replaces the old stuff. He never goes without any. As for his log, he needs alfafa right now because he is still a baby. Yes, I know honey holds it together, but he rarely gnaws on it. Everyone has their own way of raising their guinea pigs just like how a mother raises her child & nothing is ever 100% safe. People always find something wrong with anything.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
I do appreciate the concern, but I just didn't like how you just told me to take it out when really it is my choice. However, I did take into consideration that he is getting too much sugar so I took out one toy & will get rid of the dried fruits & veggies.

Tmmgrl96

Cavy Slave
What are his favorite vegies? Carrots are high in sugar, so that could be an alternative to the log. But as you said, it's your choice. I don't give my pig that much hay either. If anything he pees on it more than he eats it.

MaddysCavys

Cavy Slave
Im pretty sure that the edible log is not bad for a pig, my 15 guinea pigs all have one and have never died or been hurt by one. They even have pictures of guinea pigs on them when you buy them. And high quality plain pellets only???? Wow you are a total sucker. Please do not believe everything you read on the internet

The edible log IS bad for your guinea pig. If you're guinea pig is over 6 months s/he should have none or VERY VERY little alfalfa, due to the high calcium which is bad for older piggies. But good for baby growing piggies:) Sugar is just going to make your pig over weight & maintain bad health if eaten regularly. They may not die right away from them, but over time it can cause damage on your guinea pig. & it has a picture of a guinea pig because that's the animal it's for, they do not neccessarily care if it's bad, they want people to buy their product & It helps promote it. High quality plain pellets are the HEALTHIEST for your guinea pig, little colored bits are also sugary and contain coloring that could be potentially harmful to your guinea pig. She did NOT read it on the internet, it has been tested, & seen, read the ingridients, Half or more than half of them is not natural. How can she be a sucker for knowing what's best for a guinea pig. I would think you could be a bit for respectful to someone who basically owns this website & OBVIOUSLY knows more than you. So please, quiet down, & listen to what she has to say, because she is right.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Carrots are high in sugar? That's his favorite veggie. :[ He will hardly touch any other veggie I give him. How much of carrots should I be giving him a day? I usually give him one big carrot a day. Okay, I'm going to take that big log out now since he gets sugar from carrots! I don't want him to become fat. He's only 3 months old so I think alfafa is still ok for him. What can I replace is log with? He needs some sort of tunnel... like I said before he rarely chews on it, but he LOVES to run through it. What sort of pellets should I be buying him? =[ Now I feel like I'm doing it all wrong.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Carrots are high in sugar? That's his favorite veggie. :[ He will hardly touch any other veggie I give him. How much of carrots should I be giving him a day? I usually give him one big carrot a day. Okay, I'm going to take that big log out now since he gets sugar from carrots! I don't want him to become fat. He's only 3 months old so I think alfafa is still ok for him. What can I replace is log with? He needs some sort of tunnel... like I said before he rarely chews on it, but he LOVES to run through it. What sort of pellets should I be buying him? =[ Now I feel like I'm doing it all wrong.

Hi, here's the link to the diet charts: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

but basically he should be getting about 1 cup of leafy greens (lettuces, no iceberg) per day, plus 1/8th bell pepper for vitamin C. Cilantro is also a good daily food, and most pigs LOVE it. Other vegetables and fruits can be added for variety according to the charts, which show the different nutrients in each food. The max. carrot recommended per day is one baby carrot (or one piece the size of your pinky finger). I know it's not much, but they are basically "guinea pig candy".

The best pellets to get are Kleenmama's. These can be ordered from (broken link removed) . She also sells amazing hay, which you can buy in bulk and it's WAY cheaper than buying hay from a pet store. Her Timothy pellets have the lowest calcium of any brand, so will help to prevent kidney and bladder stones.

Other good brands are Oxbow (you will want to get Cavy Performance for your little pig and then switch to Cavy Cuisine when he is 6 months old.) and Sweetmeadow Farms.

Oxbow also makes good quality hay - your little guy will need alfalfa hay just now as he is young. I'm not sure if it should be mixed in with some other kind of hay, though, as it's usually used as a supplement.

My pig loves tunnels, too. You can get these Super Pet Tropical Fiddlesticks small pet toys at Drs. Foster & Smith and bend them into an arch, which he will love. He will also be able to chew on the wood, as it's pet-safe. You will probably want the Large size.

You can also use big cardboard tubes, oatmeal containers with ends cut off, cardboard boxes with the ends cut off and PVC pipe (at least 4 inch diameter) as tunnels. They love all these things!

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Hi, here's the link to the diet charts: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

but basically he should be getting about 1 cup of leafy greens (lettuces, no iceberg) per day, plus 1/8th bell pepper for vitamin C. Cilantro is also a good daily food, and most pigs LOVE it. Other vegetables and fruits can be added for variety according to the charts, which show the different nutrients in each food. The max. carrot recommended per day is one baby carrot (or one piece the size of your pinky finger). I know it's not much, but they are basically "guinea pig candy".

The best pellets to get are Kleenmama's. These can be ordered from (broken link removed) . She also sells amazing hay, which you can buy in bulk and it's WAY cheaper than buying hay from a pet store. Her Timothy pellets have the lowest calcium of any brand, so will help to prevent kidney and bladder stones.

Other good brands are Oxbow (you will want to get Cavy Performance for your little pig and then switch to Cavy Cuisine when he is 6 months old.) and Sweetmeadow Farms.

Oxbow also makes good quality hay - your little guy will need alfalfa hay just now as he is young. I'm not sure if it should be mixed in with some other kind of hay, though, as it's usually used as a supplement.

My pig loves tunnels, too. You can get these Super Pet Tropical Fiddlesticks small pet toys at Drs. Foster & Smith and bend them into an arch, which he will love. He will also be able to chew on the wood, as it's pet-safe. You will probably want the Large size.

You can also use big cardboard tubes, oatmeal containers with ends cut off, cardboard boxes with the ends cut off and PVC pipe (at least 4 inch diameter) as tunnels. They love all these things!

Oh thank you so much for this information! This is so helpful. I have a pretty new bag of pellet mix & would hate to throw it out. Is it safe to let my piggy finish it or do you think I should just throw it out & get a new kind. I feel like I have been spending so much money on my baby lately! This website has been making think that petstores are selling the wrong everything for guinea pigs. It's frusterating trying to find something that is safe.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
One more question... what kind of pellets should I get for him?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.