Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Need advice on cage, fleece, etc please

pcstclair

Cavy Slave
My husband is in the process of building a new cage for our newly expanded family of 6 guineas. Right now Mom and babies are in our standard petstore cage. I now know that these cages are nothing more than a litterbox or small kitchen. Hershey, the dad, is sleeping in a rubbermaid tote(yes, it's horrible!) with a hidey box, but has been given plenty of free range time in the bedroom. (It is completely Hershey-proofed! He's safe!) My husband plans to have mom and babies top cage finished tonight, it will be approx 4ft long and 2ft across. The floor is plywood with peel and stick tiles on it and he sealed it with waterproof caulking. Once mom and babies cage is ready, I will move Hershey into the store bought cage until my hubby is finished making the middle floor for Hershey and the boy(s). The new Piggy Motel is going to be apprx 4 ft tall and have two levels: one for boys and one for girls, with storage underneath for food, toys, treats, supplies.
My question is, with a plywood flooring and peel and stick tiles, what do I need to go buy as far as fleece, waterproof pads, etc? Not knowing any better, I have always used carefresh bedding. I see that a lot of you are using fleece, and I would like to switch to that. Can you please tell me what I need and how to line the cage, and how to take care of it? Is there any way that I can velcro the fleece down so that there little piggy feet don't get caught in it and pull it up? What do I do as far as cleaning? Is it okay to let the babies have free range time(like I do with Mercedes and Hershey) while cleaning their cage? (Of course, I will make their's a smaller area and make sure it is completely baby proofed) Can I just use a shop vac to vaccuum up the poop. How often do you wash your fleece? Is any type of fleece okay to use? I plan on visiting our local fabric store today to get everything and have it ready to move them to their new home tonight.
If there are any suggestions that you can offer me I would be greatly appreciative. Also, the cage that my husband is making is made out of wood. We could not find the metal grids anywhere locally, so he went to Home Depot and bought this stuff that is similar to chicken wire. It is NOT metal like chickenwire. It is a hard plastic and the holes are very small, so that none of our piggies can get stuck. We are also looking for something to put around the bottom part of it, maybe coroplast(?), so that it is even more safe. Any suggestions on this? I admit that I am completely new here but am trying to learn what is best for our little family. I REALLY wish that I had found this sight prior to even walking into a petstore.

Cocoacavy

Cavy Slave
Fleece: you need to buy a 100% polyester blanket or "fleece". To wash the fleece, you would also wash it once a week( I would observe where they do business most and put a litter box there.). The type of fleece- i would get a type that isn't too fluffy,so it doesn't wear out. For more info, go to this thread:

Last edited:

Cocoacavy

Cavy Slave
Vacuum for poops: yes, but before you wash fleece, you must shake out tue fleece well- if not there will be still some hair left.
Actually, I am pretty sure chicken wire is safe too.

Cocoacavy

Cavy Slave

Fleece: The Fleece Project: The Study ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)
cavy-cool-crazy

That is the thread that gives you all the info you will need. Hope I helped:)

pcstclair

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the helpful info! I will be sure to check out those threads. I appreciate the advice! Also, one other question. Do you think if I bought a litter box or made a little corner that they would start to use it if I used carefresh in there? I want them to have a healthy, happy, clean and safe place to play and live :)

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
They will do their 'business" in their hideys and where they have their food mostly. I know, disgusting but that's how they are. I have fleece pads under the hideys that I change everyday. I put the hay in pile in a coro box filled with Boxo. I change hay twice a day.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
If you plan on using your fleece tonight, be prepared to wash it several times today. When you buy it, it has a water-repellent coating on it that only washing will break down. If you don't do this, your fleece won't "wick" the urine through to your bottom layers (towels or puppy pads).

Guinea pigs tend to pee and poop where they eat and sleep, unfortunately. They probably WILL use the litterbox, but they may also sleep in it! I used to have one, but got rid of it for that reason - I kept finding them all dirty and stinky from sleeping in their mess! Now I have a "kitchen" area where they eat and do their business. I change it daily, and the rest of the cage (with the fleece) can go a week or more with just daily poop sweepings.

Here's the link to the Fleece Project again: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

pcstclair

Cavy Slave
I went to our local Joann Fabrics today and got almost 9 yds of different colored/character fleeces for $12!! I was SO excited! That was a 75% off discount!! I have already washed them twice and am getting ready to run them thru for the 3rd time. I borrowed a friend's wire metal dog crate to put Hershey in until my hubby can get the finishing touches done on the piggie motel tonight/tomorrrow. He really wants it painted before I put our little families in it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.