Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cuddle Time

Misserin

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Im a new guinea pig owner, I have two girls who are around 16 weeks old and are gorgeous!

Obviously they are a little nervous of me, but they are learning when it is dinner time (the shaking of the food bag) and popcorn when they are let out for a run or are put in a newly refurbished cage!

My question is about time with me, or cuddle time. I tend to try and have them on my lap once each day. They are still frightened when I go to pick them up but I still expect that. Usually I have them one at a time before or after they have had a run-about, today I have tried them both together.
I was wondering what the best method for being around me is? Two at once or one at a time? How long should i have them on my lap? Should I stroke them or just let them be for the time being? Before or after playtime?

At the moment they are sitting together on a teatowel on my lap with my throw over their heads to make a sort of 'cave'. They havent moved but I know that they do this when scared aswell.

Thank you for you help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
First, we do one at a time because our boys gets antsy when they are that close together. Or they try to mess around and play dominance games. I'd love to hold them both but they won't let me.. So that is really up to you.

My first piggie was completely wild and would bite and do all kinds of crazy things to get away. So for weeks I'd just pick him up and hold him right next to the cage (so I can quickly put him down should he bite me) I still remember the times he let us hold him for a whole 10 seconds! LOL

With him, he is VERY, VERY, VERY afraid of highs, much more so than our other pig, so I know the transporting him is what freaks him out. I now scoop him up and hold him in the cradle of my arm and I... wait for it... cover his eyes with my other hand... haha. It works though, and I move to the couch quickly. He hearts carrots big time, so for a while he only got carrots when he sat on my lap. That was how I tamed him.

My other pig has been interesting. We got him at 20 days old and we were so determined he was going to be "super tame", so we held him all the time and rubbed him all over and scratched his neck and stuff, but he is 6 months old now and he still runs like the wind when we try to pick him up and then he will only sit still for maybe 2 minutes before he starts squeaking like crazy to go back to his buddy (he can't stand to be separated). He also won't eat anything during laptime, not even his favorites. He's like a toddler, he just wants to get down and run away..

My number 1 advice for lap time is to pick them up when they are having quiet time, when they are napping or laying around. My pigs are much more likely to be calm and the older one would even continue his nap on my lap..

Kiwi2

Cavy Slave
I worked with my boys one at a time. Chewy my smallest was already pretty tame and loved being held. Zorro is the worst he hates being picked up! I try and try to pick him up and he runs like crazy. Once I do pick him up he seems to be ok he will take food right from me and runs close to me when they have floor time. I had to do alot of work with him just by getting him use to the whole picking up thing. I would wrap him up in a blanket and put him on my lap or bed and get under the blanket at his level and pet him. Now he is sooo much better! Socks was the same way but now he lets me pick him up he still wont take food from me so Im working with him every day. Well good luck and dont give up!

cam767

Cavy Slave
Our 2 are very different. Our female, Inca, does not like to be picked up but once you have her and put her in the lap she is fine. She really loves it if you take the baby brush and brush her for a while. She'll relax within a minute and just lay there (usually 1 back leg dangling off our legs while she lounges). Too cute.
Our neutered male, Levi, hates anything to do with lap time and will whine most of the time. He likes to hide his head. I think it's the whole if I can't see you, you can't see me theory. He does better if we have a cuddle sack to put him in so he can hide more. Of course this is the same guy I'm always saying is afraid of his own shadow. lol

I think because your 2 are still so young you may need to cut lap time short. Start out with a few minutes at a time (each individually) a couple of times a day if possible and as they get older work the time up. Younger pigs (as well as most animals) are like toddlers and "don't have time to cuddle with mom". They must be on the go. lol

So....where are the pics? Can't wait to see! hint hint

Misserin

Cavy Slave
As Requested by Cam767, My lovely girls!
They dont struggle at all on my lap, I guess this is a good thing?

Also, Thanks for all your advice, Its been very helpful as im a complete novice!

GuineaPigs Rule

Cavy Slave
I usually have mine out together but then i might have to seperate them occasionally because one of mine gggrrr's at the other or nips at the others bum when that happens i just seperate them

GuineaPigs Rule

Cavy Slave
BTW your guinea pigs looks identical!lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.