Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is this the right cage size?

honeybuns

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I'm new here and I have some questions. I have two medium sized bunnies that weigh 6 to seven pounds each. I am in the process of making them a cage. it will be three levels. The first level will be 2x3 grids and the second level will be the same and then the third level will be 1x2. is this big enough? They don't get very much floor time except on the weekends when I take them either in the backyard or the living room. I am buying the 2 pieces of coroplast from the cavy sight for the first and second levels because I couldn't find any local shops that had coroplast ($66 including shipping+$25.74 for 46 grids and 52 connectors= total cost $91.74). Any help would be appreciated. Also, pine shavings are not good for rabbits because that is what the pet store said was okay.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
I don't think a grid cage would be high enough in each level for a larger rabbit to stretch up on it's back feet. (they are only 14 inch's) Also, 2 by 3 isnt big enough for 2 large rabbit's to live comfortably I don't think ,especially after you lose some floor space where the ramp will go up. I would suggest at least doubling it,, maybe 4 by 7 or so...you said yourself they rarely get floortime...also, I'm assuming you are having it inside?
Please consider giving them a larger home.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I agree with guineagurl, make sure the cage levels are high enough for them to stand on their hind legs. How much exercise time are they getting each day? Rabbits need a minimum of three hours a day to exercise to keep them both phisically and mentally healthy. Since you have two large rabbits it would need to be bigger than 2 x 3.

Pet stores do not know what they are talking about. Pine is toxic to rabbits as well as most small mammals. If you must use wood shavings, aspen is the only safe one. I use wood stove pellets and they work great.

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
If you do the floors every 14 inches (the height of each cube) you don't need a ramp. I have a mini rex at 5lbs and he easily jumps from one level to another. In fact, him and my other bun (6-7lbs) have fun chasing each other - hopping from one level to another. Plus, it's great exercise for them too!

I agree that you should do a longer cage. Perhaps instead of 3 levels, do 2 levels but lengthen the cage. Making sure that they have an area that they can stretch up on their hind legs.

If they don't get floor time, perhaps you can attach a puppy excercise pen to the cage during the day so they can run around. They are easy to fold up. The puppy exercise pens are great because you can fold them up and bring them outside and they are tall. You can find them just about anywhere (yard sales, ebay) but here is a link so you know what I am talking about... https://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?webt=0&tab=1&sku=1576410030

honeybuns

Cavy Slave
The levels aren't going to be one on top of the other. the first level will be 2x5 but only have a 2x3 piece of coroplast then the second level will be over only 1x2 of the first level and be 2x3. Then the third level will be 1x2 with the two chair cushions that salt and pepper love. my bunnies can jump from one floor to another so ramps won't be needed. They will have enough room to stand up and stretch. i will stop using the pine bedding immediatly and use an alternative. i had no idea it was toxic. thanks so much. I will probably add on if it turns out to be too small.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure it's only non kiln dried pine that can be harmful to them as with guinea pigs and other small animals. The no ramp thing will save floor space, I never thought of it. I assumed they would need some sort of ramp.
You should allway's offer any pet the biggest/best home you can afford to give them.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
No, it's all pine. Pine (and cedar) causes liver and respiratory problems in rabbits. I would never use any kind of pine with any animal, it is too risky and I have read too many negative things about pine bedding.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Isnt it the fumes that will make them sick? If it's dried and dusted it won't cause the respiratory problem's you are talking about.
I'm not the only one on here who use's pine, maybe the people who had trouble with it didn't buy the right one..hence the trouble's.

tinkerbell

Cavy Slave
What is the right size C&C cage for one large rabbit? I don't have much space left in my room now that my piggies have a 2x4 cage.
She/He (haven't got it yet) will probbily be getting about 1.5- 2 hours of floor time a day. Also do they smell? and how do you litter train them? sorry for asking so many questions.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
please see this link for rabbit care info and cage sizes and samples of c & c cages made by people. Please please make sure you read up before taking on a 10 year or better commitment. Rabbits are great pets but require tons of work. Even with a large cage bunnies need a solid 2 hours to run and hop about to get enough excerise. I hope I am not breaking any rules on posting a link, if so I appoligize. Best of luck.

tinkerbell

Cavy Slave
thanks for the site- it really helped me out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.