Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Real case: Breeding, babies, death, Petsmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
FROM AN EMAIL. Received April 17, 2005.

Hello! I am 15 and I am a big fan of your website (Cavy Spirit). I have an Abyssinian boar, and my best friend has (or had) an American sow. We bred them, not knowing the consequences. It was after their breeding that I stumbled upon your breeding page. I was very alarmed that we might lose our sow Sandy. In panic I told my friend Shelby who owns the sow. We sat tight for her pregnancy. 2 or 3 weeks before delivery, she became very bulbous in shape. We were very excited. We fed Sandy loads of fruits and veggies and boosted her current vitamin C intake by 50%. She gave birth around 3-5 AM on April 14th.

Sandy looked miserable, she had just given birth to 3 babies, one who was stillborn or not tended to by Sandy. We were sleeping, so there was no chance of us saving the baby, who we named Journey. Journey was still in the sac, which was still connected and hanging out of Sandy. The two lucky ones were born very healthy and energetic. Shelby's mom, Terri, was concerned, so she called our veterinarian who does well with cavies. He said try to pull the sac out. She did, but she saw that her sac had somehow grown over her organs. Everything was connected. Everything was pulled out of Sandy. There was nothing left. Terri panicked and loaded Sandy and the babies in the car and began her rush to the vet. She had just gone over the hill going out of town where Sandy was turning blue in her lips and feet, when she gasped and died.

Is this normal? I have asked every science teacher, and they say it might have been her uterus that bursted, and everything is connected, so everything came with it. Me and Shelby were devastated, we cried together after school from 3:30 til midnight where we parted and cried ourselves to sleep.

-------------

This email was posted in its entirety on GuineaLynx and properly responded to.

Status
Not open for further replies.