Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How Do You Get It So Perfect?

GlossedOutLips

Cavy Slave
How do i get my fleece to lay so perfect and flat like everyone else does in the pictures i see? My Guinea Pigs are under the fleece right now as we speak. Can I sew the fleece to some towels to make a pad like everyone talks about? I havnt been able to find mattress pads anywhere that arnt really expencive. Alos how big of a fleece blanket do i need for it to go up the sides of the coro on all sides? I have a 4X6 c&c what 6" sides.

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
I don't use Coro.  So really my cage has no bottom.  I have a large piece of linolium that I've placed under the cage to protect my floor.  And then My cage sits on top of that.So I just set the cage on the fleece.  That means everything stays nice and tight and piggy has no way to get under the fleece.I've seen others say that they used bricks around the edges of the fleece to keep piggys out.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Sometimes you can tuck the fleece under the towels. Also if you have some heavy objects like bricks you can put those in the corners. I have some burrowers. They only burrow though if my fleece doesn't go all the way accross the cage. They seem to leave the sides alone. Also if they have enough places to hide they don't burrow.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
My fleece is sewn in three layers.  Fleece, towel and flannel and it is pretty heavy and it fits the cage bottom exactly and there is really no way for them to figure out how to lift it.  You may want to try that :)

natashia

Cavy Slave
I used puppy pads and then fleece on top, the fleece sticks to the puppypads a bit so that keeps it stuck down and then I use binder clips to secure it to the side of my coro, and we never have any burrowing incidents. Have a look at my photo gallery if you want to see my cage :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
My fleece pads are fleece on both sides with cotton batting in the middle. I have two pads, slightly overlapped and a low edge tray on one side of the cage filled with bedding that is used as their kitchen. I have pigloos on the fleece and that keeps them from burrowing. You can also sew some velcro to the fleece and buy the sticky backed kind to attach to the coroplast to hold the fleece pads in place.

GlossedOutLips

Cavy Slave
My fleece pads are fleece on both sides with cotton batting in the middle. I have two pads, slightly overlapped and a low edge tray on one side of the cage filled with bedding that is used as their kitchen. I have pigloos on the fleece and that keeps them from burrowing. You can also sew some velcro to the fleece and buy the sticky backed kind to attach to the coroplast to hold the fleece pads in place.
  I tryed the velcro. When i try to pull the fleece off it comes off the coro. I think im going to try to sew the towels to the fleece and cut it to the exact size of the tray and put bricks to hold it dow. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

pinky

Cavy Slave
  I tryed the velcro. When i try to pull the fleece off it comes off the coro. I think im going to try to sew the towels to the fleece and cut it to the exact size of the tray and put bricks to hold it dow. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I bought industrial strength velcro from Joann Fabrics. It comes in larger pieces. I attach the industrial strength velcro on one side of my corner litter box (I use for hay) and on the coroplast to keep the guinea pigs from pulling it away from the corner. I have never had a problem with the velcro coming off the coroplast and have been using it for a really long time.  I take the litter box out every time I clean it so I'm constantly taking it out and reattaching it.  I've also used it for my fleece I had on my ramp.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I just wrap the fleece aroung the coro and use binder clips to hold it in place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.