PDA

View Full Version : Im new here, please read.

GuineaGuyHere
12-16-10, 06:53 am
hello, im new here, and soon im planning to get two guinea pigs, but i have several problems:

-finding grids( i live in the uk)
-deciding which same sex pair to get ( male or female )
-and weather to use blankets or bedding

anyhelp would be throughly appreciated, and any questions about me can be answering through my inbox! :)

pinky
12-16-10, 09:12 am
I would adopt a pair of guinea pigs that are already bonded. Find a rescue or shelter where you can go and hold them and see them interact to make a decision based on their personalities. I don't think that it makes that big of a difference if they are a male or female pair.

As far as bedding, a lot will depend upon what's available in your area. I use fleece but I don't mind the laundering and regular maintenance it requires. I shake it out multiple times a day and wash it every 2 to 3 days. When I used kiln dried pine, it was dusty. Carefresh is expensive. It's a matter of which option works for you.

I don't know about the availability of grids in the UK

RandomOne
12-16-10, 11:51 am
Hi! I live in the UK, and can answer your questions:

Get your grids from here:
B&Q Wire Mesh Cube Matt Black, 0000005232581 (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10687690&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=cube&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1292521723045&isSearch=true)

Then the chloroplast:
corotherm (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=corotherm&x=0&y=0)

It doesnt really matter what same sex pair to get, I have two females, and love them so much..They come to the side of the cage every time i walk in the room :love:

I use fleece, i find that its much healthier and nicer for the piggies.

Any questions, feel free to inbox me.

HannibalLecter
12-16-10, 12:36 pm
You can get both on ebay from time to time. But if you can't find or put a cage together by yourself, Piggy Paradise makes complete cage kits.
I live in Sweden where we don't have grids anymore, and the cage was absolutely perfect & came with complete & easy instructions. I can't recommend Vicky & PP enough. :D They also make amazing themes with cozies & bedding that is measured for your cage, with a matress pad sewn in for easy washing.

(Yes I'm aware of the rules saying you cannot post links to other sites selling C&C cages, but as this site doesn't ship internationally there's no way for us on the other side of the pond to get it. And the site was recommended from the maker here.)

Ly&Pigs
12-16-10, 01:34 pm
How about if anyone has any questions, they post them publicly so that all may benefit from the answers.

GuineaGuyHere
12-16-10, 01:35 pm
thanks very much, but they dont have any in any stores ANYWERE near me haha :)

HannibalLecter
12-16-10, 01:48 pm
Google Piggy Paradise or contact Sue, the maker of the cages here. As she will redirect you to the very site that was just edited out of my post. It was first recommended by her to me as she doesn't ship internationally anymore.

RandomOne
12-17-10, 04:08 am
Hi Again, Forgot to add on my last post with the links, you can order online and get them delivered to your door.Hope i helped!