Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection URI & Poor housing conditions - related?

shuddec

Cavy Slave
Hi, Kaylie, our first guinea pig who is about 7 years old, moved in with us last April. She came with some breathing issues, always slightly labored, crusty eyes.
The family she lived with got tired of cleaning the cage, to the point it smelled so bad they wouldn't enter the bedroom she lived in. This is one of the main reasons I asked if she could live with us. Plus the fact we wanted guinea pigs to love.

Kaylie had a cage mate who died probably the fall before, when the piggies lived in the garage.

Kaylie has had two URI's, and we're treating the third one now with antibiotics and take her to a vet that treats exotics, including guinea pigs.

Here's my question - Can continuing poor housing conditions lead to damaged lungs in guinea pigs? Its seems reasonable that breathing in the fumes from an unclean cage would lead to tissue damage in the long term.

Since moving in with us, I clean the cages several times a week and all of our piggies live in the front room. I've been trying different bedding materials and strategies to keep Kaylie's cage dry, clean etc. Finally figured it out and she's sick again.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It sounds probable. I know pigs housed in aquariums can have issues.

But poor diet/ scurvy can be a factor. Repeat URIs can be a sign of heart issues too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.