Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The Treatment of Our Furry Friends

FurryCritters
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
I think that this paragraph is quite applicable to this site, with the number of heated threads there have been reagarding purchasing guinea pigs from pet stores:
[font=Arial, Helvetica][size=+0] If you buy a guinea pig from a pet store, variety store, or breeder, that animal is going to be replaced just like any product in inventory. And here's how that happens. Some tired sow will be bred again to a boar. The less attractive and less healthy babies will be "culled" (killed), and don't think a breeder is going to pay a veterinarian for euthanasia - knocking the head against a garbage can is how one breeder in Atlanta admits doing it. Some of the babies shipped to pet stores die on the way, and others arrive sick, but the store doesn't pay for medical care. They call for a credit. The animal is a product to them. [/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica][size=+0] You bought one of the ones that made it. Your purchase price paid to kill several others in the process. And meanwhile, the one at the humane society was euthanized today because there was no more room, and after all, he'd been waiting 5 weeks and no one adopted him.

[/size]
[/font]

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
OMG! It saids on there that gilette tests on GUinEa PiGs! I USE SECRET DEODERANT! Ughh... now I feel dirty :(

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
moomoo, that's just what I was thinking. *Throws away all Secret products that I use and Gilette* I had NO idea! Guess I'll have to look even closer at my products now..

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
OMG? Secret! I'm switching!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Where or how do you find out, which companies are using animals for testing?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
suzi --> I love my pet, but I don't concern myself with the millions of guinea pigs in laboratories.How loved do you think your little squeaker would feel, if he could understand that attitude? If you buy Tide, Secret, Liquid Paper, Camay, Ivory, Bounty, Charmin, or dozens of other products made by Proctor & Gamble or Gillette, then your grocery dollars are paying to torture guinea pigs, just like your beloved pet. How can their lives, and their painful deaths, not matter?

What the hell is secret?

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Secret is a deoderent. Their deaths do matter. I wanted to know which companies used animals so I too can stop buying their products. I would like to see ALL small animals free from this kind of torture. All life, all life is to be respected from the smallest mouse to human life. That is how I believe anyway. I don't believe in breeding. It breaks my heart for all the animals that die in shelters. I live in the part of the country with alot of poverty. People don't spay, people don't have respect for animals or even their own children. I live where animals, mainly dogs, (cats cant survive due to coyotes) are dumped every day. I have rescued as many as I can. I belong to groups that teach spay neuter your pets. I dedicate my life to helping animals anyway I can. They are my passion. I find it a great comfort, on this forum, that so many young people are fighting for animals. I think you are all awesome!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to say that I copied and pasted that link from the website. I didn't write it

onyx979

Cavy Slave
This "animal testing" is atroshus(sp?) I belive that all life, no matter how small or big, demands protection. I belive that we (humans) where put on this mud ball (earth) as gaurdians and caretakers of the plants and animals. To do anything other than love them, care for them, and protect them, is truely cruel and inhumaine (SP?). Companies are the worst the poor treatment of animals. I personally belive that each animal has a soul and for every animal that is harmed that soul is damaged. For those that do the harming will be held accountable in the afterlife for their crimes against inoccents. I have taken in other animals that were abused and i have found that they are the most wonderful babies out there. If i had known that the local humaine society had G.P's i would have gotten my piggies from there instead of the store. Unfortuantly it wasn't till after i bought my lovies that i realized this fact. Trust me, if in the future, i want to get more lovies then i will be adopting them from the Humaine Society.

Your Friend in Cavy Care
Onyx

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
I use teen spirit deoderant. phew, i'm safe!

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Im going to tell my mom we need a different laundry detergent. I wash my pigs blankets in Tide!

Lost_Soul

Cavy Slave
Here is a link that shows what companies DO NOT test on animals..Now how true it is I dont know..

(broken link removed)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I guess I'm lucky I'm allerigic to most of that stuff then. I didn't know a good portion of the stuff I was allergic to was from the same company. Don't they claim to do animal testing to see how safe all that stuff is?

I use beauty products from the Body Shop (which I know doesn't test on animals) and Sunlight for sensitive skin (which I don't think is tested on animals)

Given what I've seen Tide do to sensitive skin (mine and many others) I really don't think it's a good idea to wash your piggies blankets in that anyway. It may make them itchy :(

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Same here - I have VERY sensitive skin so all my products - deoderant, soap, cream, is natural.

Sabriel, I was told that the body shop do not test on animals themselves, but they pay another company to do so. however, I do not know if this statement is actually authentic

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
PETA lists the Body Shop as cruelty free. Those people are fanatics. If they get PETAs OK it's good enough for me.

onyx979

Cavy Slave
I totally agree with Sabriel, the "Body Shop" NEVER tests on animals, they have signs and they support Animal Protection Agencies. All of their products state "not tested on animals, and Bio degratable (Sp?) and there are no animal parts in their products. Granted their stuff can be pricey but you know what, i'd rather pay a bit more and know in my heart that no animals were harmed, degrated or otherwise totured so that i can have something that smells good.

How can a company get any accurate results from testing makeup on animals, animals where not made to wear makeup? How retarded are these companies? I mean really, when was the last time you saw a G.P with lipstick, foundation, maskara or blush on? I sure as heck haven't seen any in my life.

Your Friend in Cavy Care.
Onyx

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Oh ok, thank you for clearing that up =) I was only told by a friend

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
It's ok. Stuff happens. I know that stuff is pricey, but it's worth it if I don't itch to death everytime I take a shower.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
What detergent should I use though?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.