Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps interest?

babygirlhagen

Cavy Slave
My girls have NO interest in the ramp!! Not sure how to show them that they can go up it. Will they just get more curious as they explore more and get comfortable with the cage?

mmas4

Cavy Slave
If you just give them time Im sure they will use it. It took some of my pigs a week to start using the ramp but now they run up and down it for fun. You can try putting some veggies on the ramp and see if they go up it to get the veggies.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Mine did the same at the beginning and I did make sure my ramps had sides and a non slippery base and then I put them on it, gave them a day or two and then bribed them. I used parsley and lettuce and put pieces all the way up the ramp with a bonus at the top and it wasn't long before they got the swing of it. They use their ramps all the time now and actually run. Hope this helps. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
It took each of mine a different amount of time to go up and explore. Eventually, they seemed to use it most often when they would run up there when they would see me coming with snacks.... sort of like a better vantage point. With the exception of going up there to sleep once in awhile, none of them spent much time up there. I found that they all spent more time under it, hiding. I finally removed it and noticed that they are more eager to come to the side of the cage for snacks and don't run away from us as much anymore. They have pigloos in their cage to sleep in.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Mine where terribly afraid of the ramp for the first month, but after making a ramp cover of fleece that I pulled over the ramp, they use it to get the speed up for their zoomies. :D Most pigs are afraid of heights you see. Make sure to put something tasty up there to motivate them. Also move the pigs upstairs a few times everyday so they're forced to walk down.

A wide, sturdy ramp with a non slip mat, like a piece of carpet will make it less scary.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Have you tried a switchback ramp? My pigs were much less wary of going up the ramp when I made it into a switchback and covered it with towels. I had fleece on the ramp itself and then towels covering it.

Personally, I've found ramps to be too much work. I finally gave up and took it down. With the extra grids I had, I elongated the cage and in doing so added more space. I think that's a much better use of the grids.

babygirlhagen

Cavy Slave
okay thank you i have been thinking abouts taking it down and i think thats what i am going to do because they are not at all intersted in me since this new cage and the ramp allows them to hide and get away. I have not been able to handle them since putting them in there on Saturday :sad:

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I think you should give it at least another week or two though, as I said my pigs adore their ramp & hayloft now that I covered it and made it less scary. And if the ramp is on the opposite side of the wall & making handling harder, you should just move it to the other side. If it's already on the side to the wall I don't quite understand how it's bothering you?

If the whole cage is new to them it's nothing out of the ordinairy. My pigs didn't want anything to do with me the first one or two weeks when getting their new C&C cage as they where having the time of their lives with all of that new space, but after they've gotten used to it they nicely stopped putting up quite such a fight. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.