Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

safe way to keep spiders away?

katebkate

Cavy Slave
So at the moment my gps live outside. I'm trying to get them in and hope they come in soon. But for now they have to live out. Summers just arrived here and although it's raining buckets (another reason why I wish my parents would let them inside, I'd like to see them sit out in the cold and wet), spiders are pretty active in summer. And in australia we have a lot of poisonous spiders. I do intend on getting the piggies inside by the end of summer, but I do not want them to be biten by a redback!! (who can kill humans!)

So safe ways to get spiders away? I've heard of using vinegar?

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
From what I have read spiders are pretty resilient... I don't really know of any methods that go over with flying colors.

I would say for sure though, to make sure you "clean" around their enclosure daily. I mean wipe it down real quick and check it out. Spiders don't tend to like areas that are often disturbed. Be careful doing this yourself as well though.

I hope your piggies are safe out there!

katebkate

Cavy Slave
Ok good idea. Quite scary since we have redbacks that come to our yard each year, but they're usually in the drain thing near the porch (guinea pigs aren't near there). But I'll be bringing it up with my parents anyway.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Definatelly tell them, you need to get those pigs inside asap.

katebkate

Cavy Slave
I know. If they don't accept my little proposal they want me to write, I'm going to beg them to let them live inside for summer, since that's when the redbacks are most likely to appear here. Though I'm still looking for cubes and coro. Just a question, do you think a fish tank would be ok for a temperory house? Except then I don't know about the air circulation... I can think of something. Just have to write up this proposal and make sure theres nothing left they can argue about.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I know. If they don't accept my little proposal they want me to write, I'm going to beg them to let them live inside for summer, since that's when the redbacks are most likely to appear here. Though I'm still looking for cubes and coro. Just a question, do you think a fish tank would be ok for a temperory house? Except then I don't know about the air circulation... I can think of something. Just have to write up this proposal and make sure theres nothing left they can argue about.

Fish tank, absolutely not! I would really, really beg you not to do that. You're parents might like it so much they'll have you keep them in it and it's not a good idea. I'm not sure what your cage looks like, but maybe covering it with mesh with very small holes might help. I'm assuming you have a chicken wire cage?

katebkate

Cavy Slave
Fish tank, absolutely not! I would really, really beg you not to do that. You're parents might like it so much they'll have you keep them in it and it's not a good idea. I'm not sure what your cage looks like, but maybe covering it with mesh with very small holes might help. I'm assuming you have a chicken wire cage?

Ok no to the fish tank. I've looked again at the tank I was considering and it's to small anyway. and again, hardly any air circulation. Yes chicken wire cage. Another reason why I wish they could be inside. I think my dad might have cubes at his work anyway, and if I can't find a sign shop well.... theres plenty of houses that have been sold with signs.... or I might use that idea (sorry forget the name of the user) who used shop signs.

cam767

Cavy Slave
You can also use a tarp, shower curtain, or vinyl table cloth if you can't find coroplast.

iloveanimals

Cavy Slave
This isn't much help but in the summer there are little jumping spiders that get in my room. I don't worry about because they all end up on the wall across my guinea pig's cage so it isnt much of a worry for me. I just take a piece of toilet paper or a Dixie cup and bring them back outside. But since you have poisonous spiders I wouldn't know. Maybe tell your parents how important it is to atleast take them inside during the summer and maybe spring.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
a sure way to kill anything with an exoskeleton or bar them from getting somewhere - any spiders included is to buy Diatomaceous Earth and make a very wide barrier on the Outside of the guinea pigs cage - put it on the outside where the piggies can't eat it. There is a question whether its safe for guinea pigs in Small quantities so you do NOT want them having access to a big wide barrier strip. The spiders will not survive the walk across the strip. I used it in Africa for spiders and scorpions - if you put a big strip around the drain area they will not be able to cross that either! Unless they jump of course. If you throw it into webs or funnels it also works as they can't survive when it touches them and gets into their joins, same with lice and ticks and fleas and flea eggs etc. I know it might reduce your leverage - its an invaluable tool in my experience... (but I don't have guinea pigs yet so not in guinea pig experience only in my life and my other mammals experience.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.