PDA

View Full Version : Injury Nick on his nose? PLEASE HELP!

dReaa
12-03-10, 04:54 pm
I was redoing the cage today (taking out the upper level and expanding to 2x8) and I had Louie out of the cage. Prince was scurrying around and I say he had a dark red spot on the tip of his nose. I looked a bit closer and it looks like he has a scratch on his nose. Except, it's not a line, it's a piece of skin pulled away. It looks almost like what people get when they skin their knee.
So, I have 2 questions. First, what can I do to treat it? He isn't in pain and it isn't even bleeding, and I feel it isn't necessary to take him to the vet for such a small injury (plus I don't have a cavy savvy vet yet, I have been looking.) I don't have a lot of funds and my parents think of my pigs as replaceable rodents :( . If anyone has any advice please help.
Also, I am trying to figure out what the cause was. All that was in the cage when I found the scrape was a brick, large fiddlesticks and an igloo. I think it was the brick because it has these weird ridges on it that I thought would be okay for them (Boy was I wrong.)

I feel so guilty and I would love some help on what to do as this is only the second time my pig has been injured.

Catayn
12-03-10, 05:41 pm
Once Stephen scratched his nose and the vet told me to let it heal by itself. And it worked out fine. Stephen got hurt when Rasputin scratched him. Maybe your piggies had some "isues" as well?

LightningPig1
12-03-10, 06:01 pm
Oh my goodness! Lightning had that exact same thing the other day! I got so worried at first, I thought I'd just watch it for a while before I acted. Because it didn't seem serious, it's not like it was a fungus or anything. So, a few hours later, I checked on him again and that skin that looked like it was peeling off was gone but there was still a darkish red spot on his nose. It's been about a week now, and it's a very light pink now. I think maybe he just got pricked by a piece of timothy hay or something. If there were blood and it looked like he was in pain, it would be something to worry about. It'll most likely just heal on it's own. It's definitely nothing to worry about.

Please, excuse me posting twice, I just have something to add. If you do think it might be the brick causing the minor scrape, just cover the brick with some fleece and that will make it safe even if the brick has nothing to do with it. And don't worry, you don't need to make any vet visits for this! But say this was something serious and it did need a vet trip, it would be good to start saving for any emergency's!

dReaa
12-03-10, 07:02 pm
Oh my goodness! Lightning had that exact same thing the other day! I got so worried at first, I thought I'd just watch it for a while before I acted. Because it didn't seem serious, it's not like it was a fungus or anything. So, a few hours later, I checked on him again and that skin that looked like it was peeling off was gone but there was still a darkish red spot on his nose. It's been about a week now, and it's a very light pink now. I think maybe he just got pricked by a piece of timothy hay or something. If there were blood and it looked like he was in pain, it would be something to worry about. It'll most likely just heal on it's own. It's definitely nothing to worry about.

Please, excuse me posting twice, I just have something to add. If you do think it might be the brick causing the minor scrape, just cover the brick with some fleece and that will make it safe even if the brick has nothing to do with it. And don't worry, you don't need to make any vet visits for this! But say this was something serious and it did need a vet trip, it would be good to start saving for any emergency's!

I think I will cover the brick, I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again :) I do have a vet fund that I put money in, but it only has about $30 in is right now.

dReaa
12-03-10, 07:03 pm
Once Stephen scratched his nose and the vet told me to let it heal by itself. And it worked out fine. Stephen got hurt when Rasputin scratched him. Maybe your piggies had some "isues" as well?

They don't get along very well, so at the moment they live with two grids down the center of the cage. Hopefully that will change soon!

It sounds like I am being a little paranoid about my little piggies nose! So I think I'll just leave it and let it heal. Thanks for the Help!

LightningPig1
12-04-10, 10:59 am
Another thing, even though this is off topic, you don't need to separate your pigs unless any blood has been drawn. I know it's so irresistible but they have to work things out and they won't get anywhere if you don't let them. Now, this could of already happened, your piggies might have already got in a big fight and hurt eachother, so please, I don't mean to be so quick to judge at all. Just trying to say this in a helpful manner!

dReaa
12-04-10, 12:44 pm
Another thing, even though this is off topic, you don't need to separate your pigs unless any blood has been drawn. I know it's so irresistible but they have to work things out and they won't get anywhere if you don't let them. Now, this could of already happened, your piggies might have already got in a big fight and hurt each other, so please, I don't mean to be so quick to judge at all. Just trying to say this in a helpful manner!

Yeah I know they should be together, but event though they got along really well in the introductions, as soon as I put them in the cage, (scrubbed down with vinegar and water) it was like a free for all and they wouldn't stop fighting. Then I had a 1.5x4 due to space restrictions, but I decided they would probably do a whole lot better in a larger cage so I figured out a way to move my room around to make room for a 2x7 or 2x8. Last night I moved some stuff and I am also going to attach a 2x2 kitchen. My first pig has never been very active, but his new buddy never stops moving! I figured that as soon as I finish expanding, they will be able to live together :D That day should be in about 2 weeks when I go to get more coroplast and my new grids arrive!

LightningPig1
12-04-10, 01:56 pm
Sounds good!!! :) I didn't mean to accuse you in any way! :)